air filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
fab
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air filter

Hi All-

I own a 2000 boxster and I just had a oil/filter change. I went ahead and changed the gas filter and air filter as well. The car has 30,000. miles. My question is- I've replace my air filter with a K N filter. Is this okay? Will it cause any damages? I'm hearing conflicting stories and don't know if I should replce it back with a stock filter.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Fab
00 Boxster Tip Blk/Blk
Old 03-13-2006, 03:12 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

I bought a K&N filter for mine when we got it, but won't put it in for two reasons.

1) One problem seems to be with re-oiling. People put too much oil on it and that extra oil gets on the MAF and burns it out.

2) The other problem is more air without a larger intake and filter means more junk gets through. It's physically impossible to filter out the same minute size contaminates and allow more air through. The K&N has larger passages to allow more air through.

Just my 2 cents, but with the difference being negligable if anything, it's not worth it to risk a $250+ labor part to put in the K&N.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Joee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree 100%. My K&N experience cost me a MAF sensor....
Old 03-13-2006, 09:37 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

I just purchased n EVO intake with the reuseable conical filter. It does not appear to be saturated with the red oil, as the K&N's are. I've heard that people have less issues with the filters that come on the EVO intake, but who knows. I'll be installing it in the very near future....

Last summer, my MAF sensor started throwing codes so I cleaned it out with brake cleaner and it has been fine.(over 1k miles since). I hope I'm not gambling my MAF sensor with the conical filter.

tom
Old 03-14-2006, 02:07 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

The debate goes on. Most posts will be those who think K&Ns are doom and destruction and may be attributing their MAF failure to the K&N with questionable cause and effect although certainly some may have bathed their filters in oil which may have caused MAF fouling but not necessarily failure. A lot of people run aftermarket K&N (myself), or Evo cone, or BMC oiled filters for many miles without issues. YMMV.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:31 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

What I think alot of people forget is that MAFs on Porsches(especially the 996 and 986) are known to be faulty to begin with and a K & N only increases the chance of it going bad. I beleive as long as you change either the K & N filter or Evo filter for their cold intake kits every 4k then they are reliable and do not become dirty. I will speak from past expierence and say the VERY MINOR increase in throttle response is not worth the $250+ in parts that could go bad.

Quick Reply: air filter