Sponsored by:

display backlight went out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 PM
rob_noel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default display backlight went out?

This kinda sucks... the left LED pod is no longer backlit. What I mean is, I can see, in bright light, that the odometer and trip meter are working, but are no longer illuminated from the guessing here, having fixed laptop displays that acted similarly.

Any hot tips here? part numbers? :-(

-Rob
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

goto your porsche dealer and be ready to spend some $$ for the little bulbs. There are two differnet wattages so you have to be carefull when buying. Same thing happened to me.

If you pop out the 4 way flasher button and the quarter sized mesh inset on the left side of the pod cluster, there are two torx screws to take the gauge pod of of the main dash. If you pop off the three connectors / wire looms, you can get to the back of the gauge cluster. the lights are small buggers with a nut type head on them. i think i paid 5 or more bucks each for mine.

it's really easy to replace them and the porsche dealer can probably tell you the exact bulbs via schematic blow up.

Autozone and advance auto do not have these bulbs as the bulb base is part of the bulb, unlike GM bulbs which pull out of the small nut type enclosure.

Hope this helps.

tom
Old 03-08-2006, 09:25 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

for better details on removing the gauge pod, do a search on on board computer hack. there's details in that mod on how to pull the pod off the dash.
tom
Old 03-11-2006, 10:03 AM
rob_noel
AutoX

Thanks! I'll contact the local dealer and get the part. That doesn't sound *too* hard...

-Rob

Quick Reply: display backlight went out?