Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the stickiest tires without moving up in autocross class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
poindex30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the stickiest tires without moving up in autocross class?

I just bought an extra set of rims and now I would like to purchase the stickiest tires that won't move me out of the stock class. What would those be?

Thanks,

Mickey
Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

hoosier's A-series are the stickiest tires for auto-x and they are legal in stock class as long as your rims are stock size.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:21 AM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Agree on Hoosiers, or Kuhmo 710s (R-Compounds) for SCCA autocross rules. For Chesapeake & Potomac PCA, R-Comps aren't legal for stock. I think the best non-Rs are Falken 615s.

You might get some better input in the Autocross forum.

Be seeing you in the Potomac/Chesapeake autoX challenges this summer?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:24 AM
poindex30
Racer

Hey Mick,

I'll definitely be at all of the events this season. I've decided that I want to go for the stickiest tires made so that means R compound. I can use my street tires if I want to stay in the stock autocross class but I'm starting to think I want to go for the fastest time of the day (winking smiley face).

R compound tires will also help me on the track. I haven't been to a track event yet but plan to this year. I just need the roll bar extender and a much lower seat.

See you at autocross school.

Mickey
Old 02-09-2006, 02:00 PM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Mickey,

Beware, the slope is already getting slippery: The stickiest autocross tire and the stickiest track tire are different tires. Opinions vary, but mine for the best compromise, autocross + track, is the Toyo RA1. Or, if you could just get a 3rd set of wheels............
Old 02-09-2006, 05:59 PM
poindex30
Racer

I'm lucky I was able to get 1 extra set.

I've heard the Toyo RA1s are good tires. I'll start looking around for the best price.

Thanks,

Mickey
Old 02-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

R compound tires will also help me on the track. I haven't been to a track event yet but plan to this year. I just need the roll bar extender and a much lower seat.
R compound tires and a new driver do not make for a good learning experience on the track. R compound tires will grip very well when warmed up and properly inflated but they will not give you much warning before they stop gripping and send you spinning. As a beginner on the track you need to feel what the car is doing to learn car controll at high speeds. Hearing the tires talk to you and feeling them slip is part of that learning process.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:57 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the RA-1's. I wanted a streetable tire (not a daily driver) that would be good for AutoX. The RA-1 seemed like the logical choice for my 18" Carreras. I'm not one to change tires just for autocross and although there are def. better options for AutoX the RA-1's did a fine job. I was very close on a number of ocassions to the standard 996's on lap times. But be careful, on some lots where the pavement is rough, the RA-1's will take a beating after just a few hard laps. 245's and 275's btw. Try Bob Woodman tires or Frisbee Race tires.
and tape up your fenders and skirting, the RA-1's will kick back allot of pebbles.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:47 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poindex30
I just bought an extra set of rims and now I would like to purchase the stickiest tires that won't move me out of the stock class. What would those be?

Thanks,

Mickey
Such a simple question and such a loaded question!

While some of these have already been listed, you will want to consider the RULE book of the club/regions you want to run with. Some folks allow R comps in "stock" classes. Others will bump you up because of it. Realize that R comps require more negative camber to get the most from them.. usually 2-3 degrees of negative camber. Top R brands seem to still be the Toyo RA-1's, and Khumos (One of the ECSTA's (V710?) and the Victoracers)

Then again, Hoosier or Slicks can be awesome too, but perhaps a bit impractical. Slicks would certainly move you to a modified class.

If you've never done a DE, I wouldn't recommend learning on R comps. The feel (squirm) of street tires make for a nice learning tool. R comps also hide a lot of errors learning drivers make.

As for sizes? I know an experienced guy who ran a stock '98 boxster, with 245 width Hoosiers all around and was consistently an FTD candidate or winner. Some folks prefer a little diff between front and rear (225/255. 245/285 etc).

More importantly, get some more seat time.. look forward to seeing you between the cones!

I'm not sure where you are in MD, but Radial Tire in Silver Spring is a Toyo distributor, just like Bob Woodman - both are PCA friendly too
Old 02-20-2006, 02:11 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might give the Victoracers a shot this year. Any impressions as a streetable tire? My BoxsterS is not a daily driver (that's my mountain bike).

Quick Reply: What are the stickiest tires without moving up in autocross class?