Sponsored by:

Rear Main Seal Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Seal Time

Well after fixing the air oil separator, then the loose and grease slinging axel boots, now the rear seal goes. I was hopeful I had just installed the separator poorly, but I knew it a long shot. Now at 54,000 miles the best car I have ever owned is beginnig to loose favor.
I took her to the dealer today and the RMS leak was confirmed. I was told the cost to do the whole job including those things pointed out on the previous post would be about $1,600.00 dollars. In the big picture of life I guess this isn't such a major set back. But when your use to doing things yourself and are not among the affluent it stings a bit.
There is a possibility it may be covered under a good will warrantee. I think that would be the right thing for Porsche to do but then the world is not a fair place is it. Will keep my fingers crossed. The new seal is available so maybe this will be the first and last trip.
Has any one had recent experience with this fix? Should I ask or insist on anything else?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll probably need at least a new clutch disc while you're in there....
Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 AM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

If not under warranty let it leak...I doubt flywheel and clutch will be effected.

There has been much discission on this in PCA's tech sessions in Panarama and the consensus is, unless spewing oil,which is probably not and never will be the case, let it go.

If and when you need a new clutch or for some other reason must pull engine,then address it.

I've had 2 of these repaired under warranty and the clutch was not affected in neither case.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Humm, wounder if they make Depends for cars.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:44 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My comment about the clutch was based on the fact that the clutch must be removed to replace the main seal. Who wants to reinstall a clutch with more than 50,000 miles on it?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Your absolutely right about doing the clutch, unfortunately in this instance I have the tip. Is it that much more difficult to remove the tip than a standard? They are quoting between 14 and 18 hours labor.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:10 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, the clutch disk is a very cheap part actually when compared to other porsche clutches. I did a rear main seal on a boxster a month ago or so, here is the post with pictures...
http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=220
Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh and severe service time on the RMS with Tiptronic is 11 hours, plus a half hour or so to replace a few bolts on the case halves from one of the TSB's

Quick Reply: Rear Main Seal Time