Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, I give up, what exhaust should I fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:57 PM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, I give up, what exhaust should I fit?

Having just bought a 2004 model 986 S, I'm keen to fit an aftermarket exhaust system.

But searching through various forums has just left me confused as to what options are out there.

First area of confusion is exactly what PSE is available for the 986. Some people seem to imply that the PSE has a 996-like vavle system but others have told me (including a Porsche dealer!) that the 986 PSE doesn't have the vavle system so it cannot be turned on and off. Is this true?

And if it is true, then I don't really see the point of spending more for a PSE compared to other cheaper exhausts. But there I get to my next problem: which exhaust to go for? I want something that doesn't overwhelm me with noise (which is why I like the idea of a on/off vavle-type system) and therefore, if it is an "always-on" system, something not too loud (so that it is bearable on the motorway for example).

Can anybody help with all that?
Old 01-19-2006, 07:16 PM
mickf
Rennlist Member

I have the PSE on my 01 S. It is always on, never too loud, never any resonance, and always much sweeter sounding than the stock muffler. In my pre-purchase research it was the only exhaust that had no resonance complaints by anybody.

The PSE can be installed with or without the on/off valve controls, but the valve control install is expensive and consensus seems to be there is no benefit. It simply is not overwhelming at all in the "always-on" setting. Without the valve controls, DIY install is about 2 hours.

If the PSE is installed without the on/off parts, it will default to the on position.
Hope this in the info you're looking for.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:55 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

..the '04 version of the PSE sounds great..I have it on my 550 Anniversary Edition. No electronics and DIY with just ramps in a few hours.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Your dealer doesn't know what it is talking about. There are two PSEs and both have valves. The first PSE was for cars up until '02, then in '03 it came out with a new one. The first one has those long pipes that go around the back of the muffler. The second one also had such bypass pipes, but they were just a little pigtail type pipe that is underneath the car at the front of the muffler ("front" being the side towards the front of the car). The first one runs around $1,600 to $1,800 and the second one runs about $1900 to $2400. As Mick said, most people who install them leave off all the parts that cause the muffler to quiet down. The '03- version is also supposed to be louder than the earlier one. I've driven a pre'03 version on an '00 S and couldn't tell the difference between it and my '00 S.

I ordered a '03 version. It actually finally arrived today. Unfortunately, the tips didn't come with and one side pipe had a small dent in it. The shop won't have the tip and new pipe until Monday. So, it won't be until then that I can comment about the sound.

As others have indicated, I have never heard of an aftermarket exhaust that a good number of people have not complained about resonance. On the flip side, I've never heard anyone complain about resonance with either of the PSEs.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:43 AM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Thanks guys for your very helpful answers.

It sounds like PSE is the only way to go, which suits me fine as I've always felt the quality of the Porsche Sports Exhaust to be top notch.

I'm also reassured to learn that PSE does come with the valve set-up. I certainly think I'll go for that if I get a sport exhaust system.

Now all I have to do is wait until next Friday when I go to Germany to take delivery of my Boxster ;-) And that really is the hardest part!!
Old 01-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

straight pipes or PSE
Old 01-29-2006, 08:21 AM
elsiesvg
Advanced

This 986S PSE thing is getting more confusing by the minute!

First the dealer in Germany told me - after phoning the factory in Stuttgart - there was no PSE for the 986S, post 2002 model year! So I showed him a link proving that there was...

He's now looking into it again, but has suggested that if there is a PSE, then it may be an American only option!

I find that impossible to believe. Are there any European PSE users out there? If so, do you have a part number please?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Jersey Dave
Intermediate

Hey Guys,
Is the PSE the same as the Tequipment exhaust?

Dave
Old 01-29-2006, 03:29 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jersey Dave
Hey Guys,
Is the PSE the same as the Tequipment exhaust?

Dave
Yes. There are 2 versions. One for the earlier 986 body, and one for the latter 986 body. Apparently, the latter one can be fitted to the earlier, but not the other way around. The latter ones are about $2K+ if you include the tips which is a pretty good chunk of change and which adds 10 lbs. Maybe the sound is that good?

FWIW, I currently have a Dansk pressed. There is neglible resonance, but there is also negligible sound increase, too. I also had a Remus. There is mild resonance, but medium sound increase. A GHL has a lot of sound increase (bordering on upsetting the neighbors and attracting the attention of local law enforcement) and it has a lot of resonance, but the sound is pretty intoxicating. I have not heard either PSEs in real life--only sound clips which never do a muffler justice.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Jersey Dave
Intermediate

I have the Tequipment exhaust on my '02 S and it sounds great. It was ordered with the car and installed by the dealer. But, I'm not aware of any on/off option. ???

Dave
Old 01-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

The on/off option is with the 2003 version. I don't have the part number with me. But, I know the Porsche part number for the pre-03 version ends in '12, while the '03 version is the SAME number but ends in '20. Mine is in and I have held it in my hands. The guy just ordered it using the '20 number. It is just like the pictures show with the by pass pipes tucked in the front of the exhaust. (front being the "front" of the car direction). Jersey Dave's shows the '02 version with the by pass pipes in the back.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:34 AM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Hi Jay,

Thanks for that, very interesting. I would love to have the complete part number if you can find it! As it is, I am going back to the dealer with your information and I will post back when I hear from him.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

000 044 200 20
Old 01-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Oh, but that does NOT include the tips. You have to order those too. I don't have a number on those. There are three different tips - that I know of. There are the "base" ones which are the two big round pipes - bigger than '00 S ones, and they are cut perpendicular to the ground, not angled cut. One is a larger oval sort of shape. And the last, most expensive, is the larger oval one with the horizontal bar going through it. I don't know for sure. But, I suspect the big round pipes version is the only one that will fit an earlier Boxster.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:37 PM
elsiesvg
Advanced

Thanks a lot Jay.
This PSE is getting worse every minute.
I've been going back and forth between the dealer and the Porsche factory. Porsche started telling the dealer there was no PSE for 2003-on Boxsters. Then, after I quoted Internet knowledge, Porsche came back and said that it was actually possible to fit a PSE to 2003-on Boxsters, but that it required ripping out the new back-end and replacing it with the old, pre-2003 back-end!!!

This is the factory talking for heaven's sake!

So any help I can get from you guys, who are obviously better informed than Porsche itself, is greatly appreciated!!

Quick Reply: OK, I give up, what exhaust should I fit?