Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine..Intermediate Shaft..Rebuild Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Byron in MS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blown Engine..Intermediate Shaft..Rebuild Advice??

Well, I was not so lucky with the valve spring theory. Turns out, the mechanic thinks that I have a bad bearing on the intermediate shaft. He found metal shavings in the oil and filter. The car still runs, but makes a rattling noise. I have only driven it up on a trailer and off again.

He says he can get me a replacement engine from Porsche for $6995, plus installation! That would be 10K into a '97 Boxster with 150K miles. I just can't see doing that! Any suggestions on putting in a used engine? Any of you 3.2L upgraders got a spare 2.5L sitting in the garage? Has anyone on the board ever rebuilt a Boxster engine?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:31 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built quite a few engines, but I think the problem with Porsche is getting parts. Buy a good used engine, low miles with a short warrantee. The 3.2 might be just the ticket.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just as easy to put a 3.4 in there as it is a 3.2. Alternatively used 2.5L engines are pretty cheap.

todd
Old 12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
broskinny
Track Day

The parts are available from Porsche, but depending on what year your Boxster is there are probably multiple updates that will be necessary while rebuilding the engine. Parts and special tools alone will exceed the replacement cost of the complete unit.
I have heard of people replacing the intermediate shaft bearing alone without disassebling the engine. You need to remove the transmission, flywheel and intermediate shaft housing, take a look at the bearing and see if it has failed or not.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

OK, so what do you think the value is of the car right now in it's present state? What I mean is... what would the car be worth right now to someone who wants a "killer deal" in order to have a toy to experiment with? Compare that to what the car would be worth on the open market to someone who knew it's history (mileage, rebuilt motor, etc.) after the engine replacement. Compare this to what you have in it and make a cold financial decision.

Post some pictures of (and details about) the car here and see what interest there is in a sale. Heck, at the right price I might be interested. What is that price? I don't know how much do you want?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Go to www.car-parts.com it’s a listing of most of the wrecking yards inventory in North America. You’ll see there are low mileage engines available between $4000 and $4700. Your best bet is to buy a complete low mileage engine and just have it swapped by your mechanic. A straight engine swap should not be more than $1000. I do all my work so the labour estimate is just a guess. Either way this is an expensive repair. Might be a better choice to sell the car As Is. What is a ’97 Boxter with this mileage and WITH running engine is worth?
Old 12-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Bo
1st Gear

Default Boxster engine

Originally Posted by Todd Holyoak
Just as easy to put a 3.4 in there as it is a 3.2. Alternatively used 2.5L engines are pretty cheap.

todd
Todd:

When you say it is just as easy to put in a 3.4, Iamb assuming that you have done it.

I have a 98' Boxster and am considering an upgrade in performance. Could you relate your experience? Are you satisfied with the results? Did you have to replace harness, computer, transmission, and other things like a/c?

Appreciate your help, Bob
Old 12-23-2005, 11:06 AM
Todd Holyoak
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Bob,

Yes I did it with my car. See http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...topic=4798&hl=

for all the details. If you have more questions let me know. It is quite simple.

Todd

Quick Reply: Blown Engine..Intermediate Shaft..Rebuild Advice??