Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried to dye their faded convertible top?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 11:12 PM
vette67
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried to dye their faded convertible top?

I've seen several threads on this site where people have said that they intend to dye their faded convertible top, but nobody seems to have followed up to report how it went, what the best product might be to use, what to watch out for, etc.

I've seen recommendations for using vinyl dye on the top and I've seen recommendations for using canvas dye... still not sure if my top is vinyl impregnated or not, and it seems like an important question.

Anyone actually done this yet?

TIA!

2000 996 Cab 4
Old 12-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I have used the below product. Great stuff and very easy to use.

http://www.carcareonline.com/detail....oduct_id=10310
Old 12-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have dyed many vinyl and canvass tops profesionally. Vinyl tops are done with spray equipment and vinyl dye. Cleaning properly to get good adhesion is critical. In the hands of someone who knows how to spray properly vinyl comes out looking like new. I would not attempt it with a spray can type of dye.(sheen will not be even from spray can) Canvas tops as found on porsche boxster and cabroliet can be dyed and of course they are made in a variety of colors. For canvas tops we sponge the dye on to keep it even. If the canvas is frayed the dye will not look 100% as it will apear to have a different texture where it is frayed. I use fabric dyes for canvas tops.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried to dye their faded convertible top?