Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic, Loss of Torque/HP vs. Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I am partially to blame in "hijacking" this thread - or atleast making it go sideways. But, it's been a great one. There were really two core issues I was considering: (1) even though I think I'm more efficient and faster in my manual stick, have AT's and/or the sequential manuals with computers keeping them in the optimum range become so good, that one really has to be above average in manual shifting ability to be better than the ATs or SMs? and (2) are most sports car drivers with egos not as good at manual shifting as they think they are?

After all the great exchanges above, I feel there is a line somewhere where some drivers would be better with ATs or SMs. The question then is how high is that line? I don't think any of us can answer that here. But, I'm guessing it's higher than most think.

Jay
Old 09-26-2005, 12:41 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I should add that I will always have sticks because they are more fun and rewarding. For the longest time, I've also always been able to justify that because I know that a properly driving stick will out perform the AT. I guess the issue is just when does that justification no longer hold true and when do I become a relic for sticking with my antiquated manual?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:55 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"(2) are most sports car drivers with egos not as good at manual shifting as they think they are?"

IMO that's definitely the case.

I think i already answered (1) to the best of my ability.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I will give another perspective -- I have driven both on the track and I find the button logic on the Boxster confounding. The debounce logic prevents the buttons from responding to multiple presses. But, if you leave the shifter in Auto and left foot brake and stab the gas, the Tiptronic S will select its most aggressive and rapid shifting mode. It will then hold the gear until red line or your level of aggression backs off. Manual mode will allow you to inadvertenly shift the gears while you are turning the wheel and you could find yourself up a gear and down on torque. Personally I prefer to drive the manual transmission car, I think it is more fun. But this might lead one to believe that the fast way to drive the tip is with the buttons. This is not the case, but the technique that you must employ to drive the tip fast on the track requires something we normally don't do very well, primarily thresholding braking with the left foot.

For what it is worth, I have attempted to cultivate part of the instructor corp to be able to drive the Tip in a performance mode like it was designed.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Interesting thread. Here's my two cents worth, and trust me...that's all it's worth! Automatics are the future, no doubt about it, look at Formula 1. Is it there yet for a daily driver? Not for me. I enjoy driving. I enjoy the involvement, the "feel" and using both feet and both hands is part of it for me. I don't always get it right, none of us do, but when I do.....man o man, it just feels....good!

I don't understand the thought process of the designers of systems such as the Tip. It seems like they are in total "nanny" mode. If I want to tear up my six speed box I can cram it into the wrong gear whenever I want. I choose not to...but I could. I have control of it. I like that. Hey! I bought it, it's mine, let me do what I want with it. Oh but not so with the Tip! The geeks have control and they decide whether you are, in fact doing something they would approve of if they were in the car with you, looking over your shoulder! Don't you think that's kind of strange? Aren't you glad everything in your life is not "nanny-ized" by electrical engineers? Aren't you glad we have manual sneakers? dinnerware? beer bottles? zippers!? condoms!!?

I'll keep the six manual gears in my manual box. I'll stick 'em where I want when I want. I may not be faster than everyone all the time, but I'm faster than most people most of the time....and that's good enough for me.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:57 PM
m21sniper
Banned

The key is to get the right geek to tell your tip how to act.

Such geeks can be found at hi performance tranny shops the world over.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:15 AM
pweishaupt
Advanced

Originally Posted by smshirk
I didn't figure this out myself. there was an interview with a Porsche factory driver in an article several months ago that explained how to drive the tiptronic. It took some practice, and I'm not great, but better than ever before.
This is a long shot on a very old post, but do you happen to remember where you saw the article? I tried googling it but got zip.

thanks.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:18 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Excellence
Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
pweishaupt
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Excellence
Oh well, still can't find it.. I only started getting it in 2006, so won't be in my back issues..
Old 12-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
I read an article in Excellence "Best Convertibles" where the magazine asked many contributors to rank their favourite Porsche convertibles. One contributor
ranked the Carrera GT and BoxsterS at the top. He cited the BoxsterS in a manual gearbox because according to him the tiptronic transmission shaves power in between shifts resulting in a loss of torque when its needed (in between gears).Another forum member says that the contributor was wrong or biased (or both) and that the tipS produces more torque than the manual transmission because the increased Torque from the torque converter.

any thoughts on who is right?
This is correct, the DME reduces power in preperation for the gear change to reduce driveline shock. Also a tip has about 4% more drag on torque to the wheels. Can't believe I wasted so much time reading the biased hijackers rant before I saw the date.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic, Loss of Torque/HP vs. Manual?