Sponsored by:

Grinding my gears

Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Grinding my gears

Need some help! I own an 02 986S. It is a dedicated track toy. A few months ago I put her in the shop for a transmission rebuild. Reason being there was grinding of the gears on downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear.

After the first run after the rebuild, there was no change. Same grinding. The shop pulled the tranny again, did some additional customization to make the gears similar to a cup car's. Same thing happened-grinding.

Third time, the shop pulled the tranny and sent the parts to GBox in Colorado, a company well known and respected on gear box rebuilds. This time the transmission was perfect on the first few runs of the weekend, but gradually over the weekend, and this past weekend, the problem has returned just as bad.

The local Porsche dealer examined the gear shift (an after market B&M short shift kit which has been in the car a couple years with no issues. The dealer tech thought it was ok. Also the clutch is fine according to the dealer.

I worked with a pro this past weekend at Sebring. He recommended changing out the shifter. He said he doesn't like short shift kits for track use.

So my question is does it sound like a shift kit change could fix this issue? If so, can ya'll give me a recommendation for a good one?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:40 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure I agree with his assumption, if the culprit is the short shift kit would this not be happening in much larger numbers? After all Porsche offers them and many after market kits have been in use for years. Since Gbox were the ones who fixed it the best, I would send the question over to them and also ask what they think could be the issue. No dis implied here but are you being really rough on it? European transmissions are not like the typical American "stick in a bowl of oatmeal" slam bang units.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:01 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I'm not sure I agree with his assumption, if the culprit is the short shift kit would this not be happening in much larger numbers? After all Porsche offers them and many after market kits have been in use for years. Since Gbox were the ones who fixed it the best, I would send the question over to them and also ask what they think could be the issue. No dis implied here but are you being really rough on it? European transmissions are not like the typical American "stick in a bowl of oatmeal" slam bang units.
i will agree with all of the above EXCEPT some older american trans were called "rock crushers" because they were so tough
Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't think I'm particularly rough. After all I've been tracking this car for 5 years with no issues and only recently has this issue developed. Also it happens to the pro who drove my car.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it would seem you are getting the opine of too many chiefs....shop,gbox,dealer and pro. talk to gbox they did the latest work on the trans. imho
Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not sure why I didn't think of calling GBox. Anyhow, that's what I'll do and thanks to all who weighed in!
Old 12-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update: GBox tech says the "rebuild" of my old transmission which my mechanic did never fixes the problem so he isn't surprised that what my mechanic did wasn't effective. He was vague about whatever he did or did not do when my mechanic sent him the gearbox. He danced around that issue, other than to say he always recommends a remanufactured gearbox with an RSR synchro set for cars like mine.

I then called my mechanic and he said he used "genuine Porsche parts" so he is not to blame if there are continued problems. He also tried to blame the shifter mechanism, even though this is the same shifter I've had for two years. Basically he told me he won't do anything for me!

Bottom line I am out of the hobby for now since I am not going to put another $6-8k into this when I've already paid my mechanic over $6k at this point.

The ironic thing is that this mechanic is involved in our local PCA chapter, including serving a lot of track enthusiasts like me at his shop. You'd think he'd want to take some responsibility.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:59 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Originally Posted by extanker
i will agree with all of the above EXCEPT some older american trans were called "rock crushers" because they were so tough
Oh absolutely, slam bang meaning you could slam bang em a lot and they kept taking it, whereas if you went from a Mustang to a Fiat 124, (which has a tremendous shift feel) you could tear up the Fiat box much easier. But as tough as the American boxes were, the old ones had the feel of a stick in Oatmeal IMO, the Fiat is 40+ and it clicks into each gear with sewing machine precision........Mark, sorry to hear they backed off of any offering on another repair. The way you describe the conversation coming from Gox, they seem to be holding back information on you. When you say "a car like yours" is the engine hopped up too or are you just saying as a track toy they recommend RSR synchros? And why don't they Recommend said synchros before the build?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

By a "car like mine" they referred to a tracked car which supposedly only 2 years could be expected out of a factory street gearbox. They didn't recommend the RSR synchros originally because I didn't deal with them on the original rebuild. I dealt with the mechanic recommended by a track friend. This mechanic would have needed to be the one to inform me and when I talked to him today he said he doesn't recommend that for a DE car. I have been kicked to the curb.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

How about wear on the cables. Maybe try a set of the Numeric?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:46 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

There's no such thing as RSR synchros for your gearbox.

The ONLY thing that will fix your gearbox is replacing your 2nd gear idler. Not putting new dog teeth on it, which Gbox likes to do. A brand new (about $400 part) idler.

Any reputable builder will give you a total and complete breakdown of parts by item number. If that isn't being provided to you, something is deliberately being hidden from you.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bottom line, I am out over $6k and have nothing to show for it except increase cynicism with people in general and race car mechanics specifically. Nobody wants to take responsibility for shortcomings. I am continually reminded of why I like dogs much better than humans!
Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Think of it as a lesson, you simply need to define the terms of your business in more exacting ways. It's the same lesson a landlord learns after he writes about three leases. If you don't mind burning a bridge, you can push both places to make a concession by informing them you plan on writing the state AG, that usually get's their attention real fast.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had not thought of the AG. My plan is to broadcast the story a bit more specifically in terms of naming the shop and placing decals on my car with a cute slogan explaining the the grinding is complimentary of "XYZ Shop".

I can still drive the car, but grind downshifting into 2nd about half the time. I figure I have quite a few more track days before the tranny is totally toast and during that time I can get some mileage out of sharing my story.

I have given the shop owner a chance to refund my $ to prevent this campaign, but I doubt it will happen.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

It's always best to be the diplomat first but if you have to lob a grenade, lob all of them. Trust me the AG angle works. As for the ad on the car, leave that for last, exhaust all channels first. If you do the sign you might blow whatever an AG would do for you. You are not going to get it all back and frankly you shouldn't, the guy did the work. IMO, what would be fair is a discounted further repair including an entire replacement. Lastly, (again just me) transmissions are expensive, as cool as downshifting is it's far better to scrub the speed off with the brakes, which are far cheaper to repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding my gears