Bought My Boxster - Convertible Top Broke 1st Day

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought My Boxster - Convertible Top Broke 1st Day

Bought My Boxster - Convertible Top Broke 1st Day

I refer to events like these as "Sutton Luck" anyone born a Sutton in my family has lousy luck. Generally a good life, but just sucky luck sometimes.

Got a superb 97 Red Boxster with 45K miles. It has the sport package (tighter suspension and all that), really fancy 18" porsche wheels, stainless steel exhaust. Gawd the car is amazing and it sounds like a dream with that exhaust. Bought it at Rayco Eurospec in Kingston, PA near Wilkes-Barre, PA. A very reputable place that worked with me to find the Boxster that fit my needs AND my budget.

Drove home giddy and without incident. I was already head over heels witht he car. Stopped by my parents to show them, took them for rides, showed them the convertible action. Drove to in-laws to do the same. Did the same. All was flawless. Got in car to drive the 5 minute drive home, and went to put the top down, and blammo. Must have raised and lowered the roof a dozen times without incident that day...including at the dealer.

The mechanism to raise and lower the roof itself is working fine, however that cover that lifts up and then receeds back in place...one side is not moving freely and would not go down evenly on both sides and made nasty noises before I stopped it. We raised it again so that it was in the uppermost position so we could look at the guts. We also got out the manual and read what to do for emergency manual closures. The manual sucks. We couldn't even locate the parts that matched the picture! So my more savvy mechanic uncle and his neighbor took off the two little rearmost clips and manually removed the the cover from the mechanism that moves it up and down. We were then able to close it mostly. One side is not sitting flush.

This is all going to be covered by a limited warranty that I got when bought the car...but what a damn hassle. Dealership is 2 1/2 hours away and it happens on a weekend when I need it on Monday to commute. Would have been nice too to have made it through the weekend. At lease this way I know what to do if it happens again!

Oh well, trying to have a good humor about it.. I still love my car! One little mechanical issue that will be fixed I can live with. Just rotten timing!

Melissa in NJ an EX-Subaru driver and soon to be Rennlist member!!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 05:27 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Tough luck, but gotta applaud your optimism.Good luck. Let us know how those 18s do on your 97.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:30 AM
RAC
Racer

Not sure if this helps. But, I know someone who just got their new Ferrari F430 Spider and on their way home from the dealership the top collapsed on them.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:49 AM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

It does!

Melissa
Old 08-08-2005, 12:37 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

Okay...not covered by limited warranty...power train only. JOY!

Talked to the service manager. He said he can't promise free, but he will extend as much courtesy as he can.... Another 2 1/2 drive to Wilkes-Barre!

Great! I'll keep you all posted. I wonder if it is the cable issue mention in another thread.

Melissa
Old 08-08-2005, 12:58 PM
ar38070
Advanced

Yes it is the cable issue. Depending on how long you held the button down you may have also broken parts of the top transmission and assorted links. If you want more info there is a whole section on the issue and how to repair it at www.renntech.org.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 PM
928FIXER
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

97 Boxsters had a lot of top problems.Lots of new updated parts to make them right and work better are avalible from the dealer.I hope you didn't bend the inner sheetmwtal where the guide tracks are mounted to the inside of the rear quarter panels.What part of s. jersey ?I spent my first 21 years in that area
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 PM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

If I follow the instructions on RennTech about the cable I should be able to fix it myself? Assuming I did no other damage and that is the problem. THough reading up on it it sounds like it is.

I live in Deptford, near Philly.
Melissa
Old 08-12-2005, 02:54 PM
MeloYelo
AutoX

I guess I was lucky then ... I had my '97 a full week before the top stopped dropping. I looked into fixing it myself, but after reading all the forums I could, and through the shop manual, and talking to another owner, I chickened out and had the local dealer do it (only a 20 mins drive for me though).

It's one of the few DIY jobs I wouldn't tackle myself. I think the real trick is that once you've completed the repairs, it's a bit of a trick getting the two sides sychronized so that they raise/lower at the same rate & at the same time.

In any case, good luck. After 3 months, the roof was the only major mechanical problem I've had, and I LOVE MY BOXSTER! Welcome to the world of flat-6!

Cheers, Jeff

ps. My boxster came from Pennsylvania ... 1/2 hour west of Philly

Quick Reply: Bought My Boxster - Convertible Top Broke 1st Day