Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the Best Preformance upgrade for 98 Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:55 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will last significantly longer than a turbo, supercharged, or naturally aspirated engine at a comparable power level, as the extra stress is only induced during actual nitrous injection whereas a NA motor produces those stresses at all times, and a boosted motor produces those stresses every time the throttle is depressed.

The only drawback to nitrous is that you are limited to the amount of giggle cas you can carry onboard, and the need to occasionally refill the tank.

Dollar for dollar, nothing in existance can match the performance gain of a nitrous system.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:37 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will last significantly longer than a turbo, supercharged, or naturally aspirated engine at a comparable power level
So you are saying it more reliable than a non nitrous equipped car?

the extra stress is only induced during actual nitrous injection
Exactly, if you use it it will put extra stress. If I get more power, I want to use it. I don't want to make second thoughts about use because I might blow my engine.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Rouser
Instructor

Originally Posted by BlazinBWF
Well I am running out of room in my garage so I am thinking I should sell my 996 turbo and boxster and buy a 996 turbo convertable. But I am not sure yet. I think the boxster is a better looking car. With my 996 turbo I am sorta afraid to park it and leave it for a long time. so I am not sure what I am going to do yet. sigh
Show us pics of your 996TT and Boxster side-by-side and let us decide which one you should get rid of ... for your garage's sake.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:49 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"So you are saying it more reliable than a non nitrous equipped car?"

I'm saying that for a car of comparable horsepower arrived at by any other means, the nitrous injected car will face the least amount of stress in the long run.

"Exactly, if you use it it will put extra stress."

So does modifiying your engine to produce more power with conventional supercharger and turbo systems. Bigger cams, bigger injectors, chips, higher compression ratios all do that too. The more air and fuel you suck in the greater the power you will make, but the more stress your engine will face.

In other words, nothing is free.

"If I get more power, I want to use it. I don't want to make second thoughts about use because I might blow my engine."

Stick to a small 50 horsepower shot then. They sell a nice universal EFI Nitrous Works system on ebay all the time for 370 bucks that's tunable from 50-75 horsepower.

A 50 shot would place no more stress on your engine than moderate bolt on enhhancements would, and would be much cheaper. If you get a 30lb bottle and stick to 50hp jets you'll get a lot of runs out of it between fills.

I really have no idea what the maximum power levels that a stock Boxster engine and driveline can handle, i'm not too into them. That would be my first question if i was making mods to one.

If the Boxster engine is anything like the 928 V-8 engines i'm most familiar with, it has sufficient strength built into it to about double it's OEM power output without changes to the bottom end. If that's the case, a 125hp shot should be completely safe for long term use.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:46 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

In other words, nothing is free.

It depends on the particular car. Like I said in my first post the 986 S is a detuned version of the 987 S. The same 3.2L engine. The 986 S uses horrible headers with pre-cats and restrictive intake. Basically all Porsche did was change the headers, redesigned intake and reprogram ECU for the 987 S engine. This particular set up is reliable. Turbos, superchargers are a different story. I wouldn't recommend those either.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:41 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"It depends on the particular car. Like I said in my first post the 986 S is a detuned version of the 987 S. The same 3.2L engine. The 986 S uses horrible headers with pre-cats and restrictive intake. Basically all Porsche did was change the headers, redesigned intake and reprogram ECU for the 987 S engine. This particular set up is reliable. Turbos, superchargers are a different story. I wouldn't recommend those either."

People have been using SCs and turbos on all manner of cars for decades. The new systems are pretty reliable, which is why you see both SCs and turbos on so many factory cars nowadays.

I would do more research as to the power levels other modified boxsters are making, but if i was in your shoes i'd give very serious consideration to a 50-75hp tunable nitrous wet system.

For $370 bucks you're never going to match that power output with any other mod around, and the stress will be exactly the same as it would be if you added 50hp of bolt on mods.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
schnell987
Rennlist Member

If you add NOS to the car, are you prevented from running in PCA events?
Old 07-20-2005, 12:50 PM
m21sniper
Banned

No idea.

Mark Kibbort on the 928 forum is the guy to ask about that.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Turbo Performance Center/7423 Ritchie Highway/Glen Burnie, Maryland 21061/Phone 410-766-5215/Fax 410-766-5138

These guys sell a supercharger that claims 300hp prior to adding an intercooler. $5000 plus install, maybe consider that.

(p.s. i am from the 951 board surfing a bit, i know nothing of this product or company, might be great, might not)

Quick Reply: Whats the Best Preformance upgrade for 98 Boxster?