Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know how to change coolant in Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone know how to change coolant in Boxster?

I've done this myself a few times on my 944, and I am in need of a change in my Boxster. Can anyone provide some instructions, hints, etc?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:08 PM
poindex30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called my dealer two days ago and was told that the coolant is supposed to last the life of the car. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Thanks,

Mickey
Old 06-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have heard the same thing--that it is "lifetime" coolant. My problem is that some of my coolant spewed out the top. I think it was overfull to begin with, and then I got a bit hot in some heavy traffic. In a pinch, I added about a gallon of tap water. So, my system has been "contaminated" and I think it should get a flush to be on the safe side.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Laura
Pro

You are correct it is supposed to be "lifetime". You should have about 50/50 coolant/water. Your addition of water did not contaminate it, just diluted it some. If you are in a moderate climate, it probably won't hurt it as is. Purchase a quart of coolant (000.043.300.78) from the dealer and top it off as needed. If you do decide to flush and refill, be aware the cooling system can be tempermental if not purged correctly.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Laura. My only concern is that there might be something in the tap water that the car wouldn't like. Then again, if I were changing the coolant myself, where would I get the water . . . the tap, of course! So, I should probably not worry about it. Here in Maryland I probably shouldn't worry about the slight dilution.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time you are at your local dealer ask them to show you their supply of distilled water for the cooling system and battery. My local dealer does not have a supply.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:03 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

And the tap water has flouride in it so your Boxster's teeth will be nice and cavity free!!

I always use tap water for all of the cars. I put a cheap GE whole house filter from Home Depot that removes the chlorine, minerals and sediment in the tap water. It's great and easy to install. It makes your drinking water taste better and takes the "sticky" feeling out of the water for showers plus when you wash the cars, no more spots!!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:50 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd wait until you need a new water pump or coolant expansion tank, since it a real PITA to change the coolant, plus it's NOT cheap!

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to change coolant in Boxster?