Sponsored by:

mechanic ripped off....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 06:16 AM
85percent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanic ripped off....

so my boxster has been sitting at my trusty mechanic's for the past few months and i've been driving around a rental car until i could get $11k in cash together.. so i finally did and gave it to my mechanic so he could purchase the engine... my mechanic found a good deal on a boxster S engine a week ago and purchased it.. (not sure how much of the $11k went to the actual engine)... so i spoke with my mechanic today and he was like, "bad news, i put the engine up on stilts and noticed that there is coolant mixed in with the oil.. long story short, the engine is blown"....my mechanic sounded pretty pissed and said he called the guy he bought it from and the guy said, "no no i sold you a good engine, YOU must have blown it or something"... so my mechanic tried calling him back the next day, and the guy wont pick up his phone now, BUT my mechanic knows where he works, etc.. so now my mechanic is talking to his lawyer... well my mechanic is a good honest guy and he feels bad for making me rent a car any longer, so he's lending me his own mercedes for the time being, i feel kinda bad using his car, but i AM low on cash because of the engine and rental car...

but what do you guys think? the lawyer definitely has a case, right?

Last edited by 85percent; 05-20-2005 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:00 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

That totally sucks. I feel for you. You should be able to get your money back, but it may take some time.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 AM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

85percent,

Wow! Sorry, you have had some very, very bad luck. I would talk to a lawyer NOW and follow what he says.

Your mechanic may be a good, honest guy but he was fairly free and easy with your federal reserve notes. He is supposed to be the expert in this scenario. It looks like you're very close to being on the down-hill-slope-without-brakes-on-the-road-to getting-screwed. The net result of getting screwed by a "nice guy that is good and honest" is frighteningly similar to getting screwed by a totally evil *******.

You might wish to hang onto that Mercedes, lay low and screen your calls until this is solved to your satisfaction. You could find yourself having to log in here as 75percent then later 55percent and so on and so on...We don't want to see you get below 10percent. So stop this madness now, talk to a lawyer!

Let us know what hapened
Old 05-19-2005, 02:44 PM
85percent
Instructor

yes i have the worst luck in the world. i always have. first my engine dies, then porsche wouldn't replace it, so i finally save up $12k cash for my mechanic, and then he gets ripped off... i guess a meteor could completely destroy my boxster if it ever gets moving again... but i know my mechanic will find a solution.. & thanks for the responses, i'm going to the mechanic's tomorrow, i'll tell you guys what happens..

Last edited by 85percent; 05-19-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:36 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boxsterund914
85percent,

The net result of getting screwed by a "nice guy that is good and honest" is frighteningly similar to getting screwed by a totally evil *******.
Perhaps the first truly universal wisdom I've ever read on here!!

Matt
Old 05-19-2005, 05:43 PM
chris924S
Intermediate

I am so, so sorry to hear about this. This what I was envisioning about buying a used Boxster, so I passed and bought an S2000. Now I am selling my 924S 200K miles.

If only the boxster was as reliable as this my 924S....

Chris
1988 924S 200K

2002 S2000 35K
Old 05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

I am so, so sorry to hear about this. This what I was envisioning about buying a used Boxster, so I passed and bought an S2000. Now I am selling my 924S 200K miles.
That's a shame cause it's not as unreliable as you think.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:28 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chris924S
I am so, so sorry to hear about this. This what I was envisioning about buying a used Boxster, so I passed and bought an S2000.
Sad to hear, too, but my Boxster has been the more reliable car compared to our current Honda. My brother went through 3 trannies in his Accord before dumping it. Anyone can get screwed on a repair job gone bad. I wouldn't attribute this to Porsche. $11K also sounds a little high but I don't know the details. I think you can get a factory remanufactured engine for on the order of $8K with warranty.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:04 AM
85percent
Instructor

well the $11k was for an S engine with pretty low mileage and a re-programmed ECU.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:18 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Sad to hear, too, but my Boxster has been the more reliable car compared to our current Honda. My brother went through 3 trannies in his Accord before dumping it. Anyone can get screwed on a repair job gone bad. I wouldn't attribute this to Porsche. $11K also sounds a little high but I don't know the details. I think you can get a factory remanufactured engine for on the order of $8K with warranty.

I have to say, the two Boxsters that I have owned have been great. I marvel at how hard I drive these cars and they keep coming back for more. The Internet has driven many people from the Boxster...I don't think any car or manufacturer is perfect.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:36 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

85percent - now's the time to work closer with your mechanic. It's great he loaned you his car, but it's time to find out when your car will be ready, not when he will solve HIS problem of good engine/bad engine. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:09 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Default If it were I.....

I've seen an auction end recently on ebay for a complete Boxster with front end damage going for 10K....

Would have been a good deal just to purchase that and part our the rest... I'm pretty certain that you would have only ended up paying less than 5K when it was all said and done.....

Either way I wish you good luck.

-Eli
Old 05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
944SuperCar
Advanced

Oil in the coolant may just be a blown head gasket. He screwed up buying the engine, he can replace the head gasket. He should consider it penance for not checking out the engine a little better before buying it.
Get information from him as to what is exactly wrong with the engine. Just because the head leaked oil to the coolant doesn’t mean its dead. Actually, the oil cooler may have leaked the oil into the coolant (My N/A 944 had that problem, $600 fix)… if I did it myself, would have been much less.

Post on here what is wrong, you’ll probably get some good responses.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:38 PM
85percent
Instructor

will do. im going to the mechanics right now, i'll let you guys know what happens.. and thanks eli and bobby. =)

Quick Reply: mechanic ripped off....