Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mechanic ripped off....

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 05:26 PM
85percent
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got back.. my mechanic showed me the coolant and oil in the exausts manifolds, when he discovered this, he checked the compression, and there was none... then my mechanic said that he bought the engine through paypal from a guy in alabama, so he contacted paypal and told them how he had been ripped off... well the guy wrote back to paypal and said its all BS...

so my mechanic is now inviting another porsche mechanic to his shop so that he can check it out himself and sort of use the other mechanic as a witness before taking the guy to court... in the meantime, im driving my mechanic's mercedes- very smooth feeling car.... and my mechanic is planning on buying a different engine for my boxster, but he plans on using me as a witness for the first one...

i'll try and get the name and alias of this @sshole in alabama, and i'll post it in a few porsche forums to warn others...
Old 05-21-2005, 09:51 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two problems here. Firstly used engines are just that: used..they never come with any real warranty and who ever buys one that has a problem has to pay for the repairs. In our business we will install used engines, but the customer both locates and buys it, deals with any warranty problems and pays our labor charges. For businesses there's too much of a potential liablity problem. Secondly, the engine was bought from a source with no history and wasn't another business. The chances of anything coming out positive from a court case are low.
New, or rather "remanufactured" Boxster (not S) engines are about $8k installed with a 2 year warranty.

Quick Reply: mechanic ripped off....