Sponsored by:

Boxster or Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
confused66
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Boxster or Boxster S?

I'm in the market for a Boxster, but don't know enough about them to decide if I want a Boxster or Boxster S. I'm currently looking for a used 2003 because I figure I can get it at a better price and I really want the glass rear window. I've read that the S is a little faster and handles a little better, but am I really going to notice the few extra horsepower? Am I better off saving my money and just getting the standard Boxster (especially since the S models seem so hard to come by up here in northern VA?) Local dealer has a 2002 model and offered to install a glass window in it, but....hmmmm

Appreciate any insights you can share with a newbie.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:00 AM
WCS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'03 986 uses the suspension components of '02 986S so I would expect they handle about the same. In addition to the glass window, you also get a glove box, slightly better cupholder, variocam with better fuel efficiency. The plastic window isn't too bad, but it flexes and vibrates on the highway.

'02 S will have much better low range torque. 6 speed gearbox, so you can probabily shift faster (except the ery wide gear 1-2). I'd guess '02 986S to hold value better compared to '03 986 in the long run.

The whole convertible top will costs over 5K so most likely your local dealer is replacing only the fabric top, not the mechanism (there are aftermarket tops with smaller glass window that fits on '97-'02 models).
Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a 2004 Boxster and just drove my friends 2003 Boxster S. We both have the same rims, same suspension but differnet gear boxes, brakes and engines.

I did feel more "torque" in his car (1st gear seems to be a little lower with 6th the same as my 5th) but once off the line they feel about the same except when "smashing the pedal" down to accelerate. The "torque" is the difference I feel, but on everyday driving (quick driving up through skyline drive) the difference was negliabe.

I am sure on the track (harder driving) I would have felt more of a difference.

For me I am very happy with the standard Boxster '04 model since this is the primarly the wifes (who doesn't use 1/2 of the vehicle) and I do hope to pick up a 911 or perhaps a Cayman for a more agressive machine in the near future.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:09 AM
SealGrey986
Track Day

Originally Posted by WCS
'03 986 uses the suspension components of '02 986S so I would expect they handle about the same.
First of all, hello everybody! I've been a Porsche owner two weeks My car is -01 2.7 and I'm wondering what is actually the difference between S/-03 2.7 and -01 2.7 suspension? My dealer offered Porsches's Tequipment -10mm sportsuspension with springs, dampers and stabilizers. Are there any other differences between S and -01 2.7?
Old 04-28-2005, 04:09 PM
WCS
Instructor

From '03 2.7 gets the '02 Boxster S suspensions. It should have stiffer sway bar and I am not sure but it should also be slightly lower.

I actually have a used set of '02 S suspensions for sale. Let me know if you are interested (just installed ROW M030 sports). Send me PMs for details.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:16 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by WCS
'03 986 uses the suspension components of '02 986S so I would expect they handle about the same. In addition to the glass window, you also get a glove box, slightly better cupholder, variocam with better fuel efficiency. The plastic window isn't too bad, but it flexes and vibrates on the highway.
Better cupholder? What cupholder? I had no idea that performance enhancement was added after my model. How much faster does it go with that baby in there? Man, I'm gonna have to look at a newer model now.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:09 PM
WCS
Instructor

'03-'04 model engine uses variocam technology and both HP and torque increased. It sounds better at higher rpm, also partly because of the updated exhaust.

I have a '02S and I'm driving a loaner 987 today (5-speed). The 987 feels slower particularly at <4000rpm compared to the '02S, so the claim that base 987 is as fast as older 986S is definetly not true. 987's clutch/gearbox is much more forgiving and easier to operate, but the shifter is still sub-par..
Old 04-28-2005, 06:09 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dude get the S.

Excellence magazine did a spread on Porsche's best roadsters.
One contributor noting his two picks (Carerra GT and Boxster S) said
"The CGT ($600K) and the Boxster S ($50K) are the two best handling cars Porsche has on offer....The Boxster S delivers everything the standard Boxster promises"

Also not buying the S when you can afford one, can cost you money when you decide to sell it. The S will not depriciate as quickly as the standard Boxster.
I can think of no better bargain in sportscars than a lightly used Boxster S.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Bodacious
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Confused66 are you sold on a mid engine car? I know the purists are going to kill me for this post, but as a owner of a '00 Arena Red Boxster S, I wouldn't hesitate to get an S2000 before I would get a non S Boxster. The non S car will depreciate a lot faster than the S and you can find a '02 or above S2000 with a glass rear window for a heck of a lot less than a Boxster. Plus you know longer have $75-150 oil changes. Granted it will be a Honda but a comparable Honda no less. I owned a S2000 before my Boxster S and because of their set up it is hard to compare the two, but if you can live without a mid engine car, the S2000 is an excellent choice.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't have a 986, but a good friend does. When he bought his S (when they first came out), he said that besides the obvious (motor & suspension), the S has numerous upgrades (interior, etc) that cost extra on the base car. Something to keep in mind when comparing the two.

My friend is an aggressive driver and has had lots of high end cars, including a 930 back in the day, and absolutely loves his S. I've driven it also and thought it was a blast. Better to get the S if you can afford it than to wonder "what if" afterwards.

I agree regarding the glass rear window. I wouldn't buy a ragtop without one.

Quick Reply: Boxster or Boxster S?