Another Introduction...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Introduction...

Greetings All:

I've posted a few times, but I got to thinking that my screenname, stupidly chosen when I was looking for a 993, is no longer appropriate. So I thought I'd introduce myself. (If anyone knows how I can change my name without re-registering, that would be cool.)

I bought an '04 Boxster S550 last month. It was used, but only had 192 miles on it. This was only the second Boxster I had ever driven, having queued up for one in '97 and then dismissed it after a test drive. It's not that it was a bad car, not at all. I just felt there was such a gap between the 2.5 and a 993 at the time that I wasn't all that impressed. Plus, I had a turbocharged Miata that was faster than a 911, and the Boxster seemed a step down.

But I have spent a lot of time in my Brother's 02 Carrera lately and really got a jones for a Porsche again. Turned my attention to the 986S, since the 987 was already in transit at the first of the year and the deals were great. Nearly bought a Guards over Black S from Hennessy in Atlanta, but then saw the 550 on EBay. It was for sale by a private individual located about 15 miles from me. He had posted 2 small grainy photos, both with the top up, taken from about 20 feet away. In the rain! He had an initial bid that was very unreasonable. I watched for a week, confident that no one would bid. They didn't, and I called him up after it was over and wound up with a new car for about 23 percent off MSRP, plus no tax or dealer prep!

I now have about 1100 miles on the car and have enjoyed reacquainting myself with Porsches in general and learning the nuances of the Boxster in particular. I am taking it to the track tomorrow for the first time to learn the car's behavior at the limits and get a good dose of just how PSM handles slip angles.

I have spent the last 11 years in highly-modified MX-5 Miatas, including a good deal of time on the track, and I'm having such a great time seeing how different two cars that share the same basic description (two seats, superb handling) can be. The Mazdas were so much more tossable, even without turbo power; they could be broken loose with ease and steered with the throttle at relatively very low speeds (205 rear tires really help that)! They have a fully adjustable suspension and can be set up for oversteer, understeer, or very neutral handling. An excellent car that can be had for next to nothing, new or used, and will take amazing amounts of abuse without complaint. And the cost of aftermarket parts!!! Wow, I have been flipping through Mid-America and Performance and just chuckling!!!

But I was ready to move on. Interestingly, I did so not because I wanted more acceleration or handling performance; my cars had that in spades. I did it because I wanted the solidity of the Boxster's chassis. At age 30 I was looking for the lightest, most flickable rear-drive sportscar I could find. At 40, I wanted to combine excellent handling with solidity, reduced NVH, a slightly bigger cabin, and the feel of a substantial car when the top was up and I was taking my wife to dinner. Plus, the curves! Ohhh, the curves. Even after 8 years the 986 just does it for me. I like the 987 just fine, love it in fact. I wrestled with getting a 987S for a week before buying my car. But in the end I decided that, to me, the 987 looks newer but not better. In fact, I believe that when the years have passed and both the 86 and the 87 are old cars, the 86 will be considered the prettier design, sort of like the Series 1 and 2 E-type vs Series 3, or the chrome bumper 911s vs the 74-77; at the time the new car came out the old one seemed dated, but now that they all look dated, a more objective eye discerns the purity of design of the earlier car.

But I digress. I still love the 987S and would love to have one, particularly in silver over Cocoa!!!

So far I've been totally able to resist the urge to engage in any "contests of speed" on the local roads. My position is now completely different, seeing as how the Porsche is the car everyone wants to knock off it's pedestal, where the Miata was always surprising the mulletheads in their Camaros (no offense to either Camaros or those whose tonsorial choice is the mullet.) I was very surprised last week to get pulled over at night for going 65 in a 45 and get a verbal tongue lashing but no ticket. That's NEVER happened to me before, in 20something years of driving, and a Porsche is the LAST car I would expect it in! Hope I haven't used up all my good luck for the decade with that one!

Okay, I'll sign off now and keep it much shorter in the future.

Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 11:16 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you just love cars, and that's what it's all about! Now Porsche's for me do seem to be a passion and it appears your right there as well!

Welcome aboard and congrats on the great Boxster! Now change that damn screen name!
Old 03-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPorscheRightNow
Greetings All:

I've posted a few times, but I got to thinking that my screenname, stupidly chosen when I was looking for a 993, is no longer appropriate. So I thought I'd introduce myself. (If anyone knows how I can change my name without re-registering, that would be cool.)

I bought an '04 Boxster S550 last month. It was used, but only had 192 miles on it. This was only the second Boxster I had ever driven, having queued up for one in '97 and then dismissed it after a test drive. It's not that it was a bad car, not at all. I just felt there was such a gap between the 2.5 and a 993 at the time that I wasn't all that impressed. Plus, I had a turbocharged Miata that was faster than a 911, and the Boxster seemed a step down.

But I have spent a lot of time in my Brother's 02 Carrera lately and really got a jones for a Porsche again. Turned my attention to the 986S, since the 987 was already in transit at the first of the year and the deals were great. Nearly bought a Guards over Black S from Hennessy in Atlanta, but then saw the 550 on EBay. It was for sale by a private individual located about 15 miles from me. He had posted 2 small grainy photos, both with the top up, taken from about 20 feet away. In the rain! He had an initial bid that was very unreasonable. I watched for a week, confident that no one would bid. They didn't, and I called him up after it was over and wound up with a new car for about 23 percent off MSRP, plus no tax or dealer prep!

I now have about 1100 miles on the car and have enjoyed reacquainting myself with Porsches in general and learning the nuances of the Boxster in particular. I am taking it to the track tomorrow for the first time to learn the car's behavior at the limits and get a good dose of just how PSM handles slip angles.

I have spent the last 11 years in highly-modified MX-5 Miatas, including a good deal of time on the track, and I'm having such a great time seeing how different two cars that share the same basic description (two seats, superb handling) can be. The Mazdas were so much more tossable, even without turbo power; they could be broken loose with ease and steered with the throttle at relatively very low speeds (205 rear tires really help that)! They have a fully adjustable suspension and can be set up for oversteer, understeer, or very neutral handling. An excellent car that can be had for next to nothing, new or used, and will take amazing amounts of abuse without complaint. And the cost of aftermarket parts!!! Wow, I have been flipping through Mid-America and Performance and just chuckling!!!

But I was ready to move on. Interestingly, I did so not because I wanted more acceleration or handling performance; my cars had that in spades. I did it because I wanted the solidity of the Boxster's chassis. At age 30 I was looking for the lightest, most flickable rear-drive sportscar I could find. At 40, I wanted to combine excellent handling with solidity, reduced NVH, a slightly bigger cabin, and the feel of a substantial car when the top was up and I was taking my wife to dinner. Plus, the curves! Ohhh, the curves. Even after 8 years the 986 just does it for me. I like the 987 just fine, love it in fact. I wrestled with getting a 987S for a week before buying my car. But in the end I decided that, to me, the 987 looks newer but not better. In fact, I believe that when the years have passed and both the 86 and the 87 are old cars, the 86 will be considered the prettier design, sort of like the Series 1 and 2 E-type vs Series 3, or the chrome bumper 911s vs the 74-77; at the time the new car came out the old one seemed dated, but now that they all look dated, a more objective eye discerns the purity of design of the earlier car.

But I digress. I still love the 987S and would love to have one, particularly in silver over Cocoa!!!

So far I've been totally able to resist the urge to engage in any "contests of speed" on the local roads. My position is now completely different, seeing as how the Porsche is the car everyone wants to knock off it's pedestal, where the Miata was always surprising the mulletheads in their Camaros (no offense to either Camaros or those whose tonsorial choice is the mullet.) I was very surprised last week to get pulled over at night for going 65 in a 45 and get a verbal tongue lashing but no ticket. That's NEVER happened to me before, in 20something years of driving, and a Porsche is the LAST car I would expect it in! Hope I haven't used up all my good luck for the decade with that one!

Matt

2 Points:
1) Excellent choice of car. (obviously I'm biased!)
2) Looks like it's time for a change of your screen name. <G>
Old 03-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPorscheRightNow
Greetings All:

Matt

2 Points:
1) Excellent choice of car. (obviously I'm biased!)
2) Looks like it's time for a change of your screen name.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the 550SE. It's the one recent car that tempted me to stray from my beloved first Porsche, a 2000 Boxster S. (But I'm commited to keeping Old Yeller forever, pursuant to the "never sell your first Porsche" rule.)

Anyway, welcome and excellent choice of car. I think the 550SE is the most desirable Boxster yet. I'd also take one over a 987 (but then, I'm a sucker for Spyders).
Old 03-25-2005, 01:47 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Welcome to the club.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:49 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sean
I love the 550SE. It's the one recent car that tempted me to stray from my beloved first Porsche, a 2000 Boxster S. (But I'm commited to keeping Old Yeller forever, pursuant to the "never sell your first Porsche" rule.)

Anyway, welcome and excellent choice of car. I think the 550SE is the most desirable Boxster yet. I'd also take one over a 987 (but then, I'm a sucker for Spyders).
Hi, Sean!

What's "scary" about your Vintage Spyder? I flirted with the replicas about five years ago and still love them. (I have the little Minichamps Boxster 550/ 550 Spyder model set on my desk.)

Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Sean
Drifting

What's "scary" about your Vintage Spyder?

Let's see... 180HP in a 1200-pound car, no rollbar, no reinforced doors, no airbags, no roof (!), no nothin' when it comes to safety equipment. (Well, there is a five-point harness to at least keep you inside the car.) Ride height slightly higher than a Flexible Flyer snow sled. Short wheelbase makes it twitchy at the limit. It's a blast to drive, but you live in fear of cellphone-talking SUV drivers. You've gotta treat it like a four-wheeled motorcycle. I wear a helmet!

I love the Vintage for what it is...a raw, visceral time machine in the spirit of the original 550. But the Boxster 550SE is by far the safer way to explore one's James Dean fantasies, without actually ending up like Dean.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2005, 02:25 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Fine looking ride! But you got the "no airbags" edition? How crazy is that?
Didn't realize you drove it on the street. I agree; it would be like having a bike, although one you wouldn't ever lay down! I was contemplating one as primarily a track car.

180hp!@%$ That's big numbers! The 120hp cars are fast, or at least feel like it. Where are you in Alabama? I'll have to come bum a ride in that Spyder some day. ('Course, I'd have to borrow some "Ken Miles HeadgearTM" , since my SA95 fullface would look a tad anachronistic!)

Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Sean
Drifting

Matt, I live in Birmingham. Drop me a note if you're ever in town, say, attending the Porsche Driving Experience at Barber Motorsports Park, and we'll go for a Spyder spin (hopefully not literally).

My helmet is made by a British company called Davida. They construct the helmets by hand in the same fashion as the 1950s original. Yes, I need therapy.

DAVIDA VINTAGE HELMETS
Old 03-25-2005, 02:43 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sean
Matt, I live in Birmingham. Drop me a note if you're ever in town, say, attending the Porsche Driving Experience at Barber Motorsports Park, and we'll go for a Spyder spin (hopefully not literally).

My helmet is made by a British company called Davida. They construct the helmets by hand in the same fashion as the 1950s original. Yes, I need therapy.

DAVIDA VINTAGE HELMETS
Thanks for the offer. I may come over for no other reason than to see your car!
I'll actually be at the Talladega Gran Prix Raceway tomorrow for a track day (the little 1.5 mile road coarse outside of Anniston), but schedule doesn't allow me to get up the road to B'ham. But I'll do it someday when the timing works for both of us.

I assume you've driven Barber? I haven't been over there, but a close friend took the "Porsh Driving Experience" as he calls it, and thought the track was very fun, not as scary as Road Atlanta. (Personally, I don't think RA's scary till you go off!!!) But I've got to get over there soon. It's a beautiful track.

Thanks, Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome, and nice car!!

You really gotta change the name, though. With only 16 posts so far, it shouldn't be too bad to just go ahead and re-register with a new name.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Palting
Welcome, and nice car!!

You really gotta change the name, though. With only 16 posts so far, it shouldn't be too bad to just go ahead and re-register with a new name.
Yeah, but they've all been tremendous posts; I hate to lose credit for them!

Actually, I couldn't figure out yesterday how to unregister, and without doing that, it found my email everytime I tried to register as a new person and said I was already registered as NoPorscheRightNow. So I gave up. Perhaps a sympathetic moderator can un-muddle me.

Matt
Old 03-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Sean
Drifting

I drove Barber two weeks ago at my PCA DE. I haven't driven Road Atlanta, but agree that Barber is a beautifully designed track.

I actually found Barber easier to drive than Talladega Gran Prix...the surface is smooth, there's plenty of space, and a good bit of distance between braking points. (Talladega GP is fun too, in a different way!)

Good luck this weekend. Just let me know when you're in town.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:48 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

Hey, welcome to the 550 SE club....just drove my #373 out to San Diego and back over the last 2 months. Left PA on Jan 16th and arrived in SD 4 days later....stayed for 6 weeks putting 2800 miles on the car while in CA..returned to PA on 9 March...total of 8500 miles.

My 550 SE has 18,400 very enjoyable miles on it, previously I put a total of 65,000 miles on a '99 and '02...both were Artic Silver over Boxster Red....BUT my GT Silver over Cocoa is my Hershey Kiss..the wife of a Boxster buddy gave it that name...

Just so you know,the air filter on the 550 SE is the same as one on the '05...maybe that tells us something about the 550s motor??? Maybe.

You have a very nice version of the 986.....

Quick Reply: Another Introduction...