Sponsored by:

Import U.S. boxster into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
thane
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import U.S. boxster into Canada

Have any of you imported a U.S. Boxster into Canada? If so, what modifications were required (e.g. gauges, daytime running lights, etc.)?

Thanks.
Thane
Old 03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

If you turn the clock button to the left for 5 seconds everything switches from Miles to Km and vice verca.Daytime running light are just a relay #996 615 111 00
Old 08-09-2005, 02:21 PM
MeloYelo
AutoX

Not sure if I'm too late to chime in (just joined this forum), but I just imported a 1997 Boxster from the US to Canada, and it's not that simple. In terms of technical mods, you need to do the daytime running lights and easy switch over from imperial to metric on the electronic gauges (the manual gauges don't need to be changed) as David says. In terms of paperwork and the export from US and import to Canada, it's pretty involved, so if you're still interested, let me know and I can walk you through it. Of course, you still end up paying GST, PST, and even a duty and RIV (imported vehicle) fee.

The biggest catch is that Transport Canada only allows you to import vehicles on thier approved list, which includes Boxsters that are 1997 or 1998, and no other years ... no matter what modifications you are willing to do!

All that being said, I saved a ton (or is that tonne?) of money ... probably $10K.

Good luck, Jeff
Old 08-29-2005, 06:03 PM
rpdelaney
Rennlist Member

Jeff,

I'm looking at importing a boxster as well. Based on the RIV site, it appears they accept all 1990-1996 models, and all 1999-2005 models. For 1997-1998 they will only accept Boxsters.

So, I would think that any year Boxster is okay,in fact it is only 1997-1998 that has any inadmissable vehicles (everything except the Boxster). Am I wrong?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 08-30-2005, 05:40 PM
MeloYelo
AutoX

Lightbulb

Ah! You are correct. I am re-reading the list, and I guess I mis-interpreted the document earlier. Sorry man, I hope I didnt' give you a heart-attack!

Here's the major steps in order of when they need to happen:
- Once you have title of the car, go to the State DOT and get a temporary or in-transit registration card/plate (depending on the State, you may need a Notary Public to witness & verify the assignment of tltle from the seller to you, as I had to do in Pennsylvania)
- Bring/send your original title to the US Customs office at the 'port' you intend to export from, at least 48 hours (or 72 ... I forget) before you intend to export. They will photocopy and give you the original back if you go in person.

When you are ready to import, assuming everythink is OK with US export control (the car isn't stolen, is free of liens, etc.), pick up the title that will be stamped indicating it's been ok'd to export from the US.

Declare you are importing a vehicle to Canada Customs, go inside and open up your wallet ... you need to pay:
$100 for air conditioner excise fee (if applicable to your car)
$182 RIV fee (the customs agent 'called it in' to RIV with my CC info)
6% duty on purchase price (need to show receipt)
7% GST on purchase price
Also have a copy of your title with you, and the stamp from US Export Control, along with your drivers license and ID.
Make sure you leave with a stamped "Vehicle Import Form - Form 1"

Once you get it to your home province, you will need to do a few things to get it registered/plated
- get a letter from Porshce certifying that your car (VIN specific) has no open recalls (I think they charge $75 or so for this)
- get daytime running lights rigged and odo/speedo/instruments to show metric. The dealer I went to did this for $286.20. If it's as easy as adding a relay, then that's news to me. The local Porsche dealer used a whole bunch of parts totalling about $25, and, of course, the labour.
- 1 276-114 diode
- 1 141-951-253-B Relay
- 1 NPN3 hardware
- 1 764126 Inline, Fuse
- 1 N-017-131-14 Flat Fuse
- 1 N-017-131-20 Flat Fuse
- 1 N-017-725-2 Bulb
- Get an RIV inspection at an authorized center (in Ontario, only Canadian Tire's are authorized). It's no addtional cost (you already paid RIV). Make sure they give you a "Form 2"
- While you're at it, get a Provincial Safety Standard inspection ($65 or so) and an emissions test ($35 or so)
- RIV will mail you a Canadian Compliance sticker

Bring all that paperwork to your provincial licensing office so you can get plates/registration completed. This is where they nail you for PST.

Phew. That's it.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any more 'help'.

cheers, Jeff
Old 08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
bus stop
Advanced

I was lucky enough to find mine after someone had already gone to all the trouble...including covered transport from Florida. I believe the duty is actually 6.2%...or so I've been told.

Good luck with your search Thane.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:32 PM
rpdelaney
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the in-depth info Jeff. No heart attack although I did check the list again closely after reading your post. I'll be importing from Europe with a US Spec car so a few things will be different but not a lot. As it'll be registered here, no PST on the import and apparantly I pay the taxes on the depreciated value of the car when I bring it back in 2008. This should save me some cash. I'm still checking on the daytime running lights but what's another $300 bucks when they get you with GST and Duty.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 08-16-2006, 04:34 PM
993TTmike
Track Day

Thanks Jeff for your helpful input. I am also looking at buying a high mileage Boxster from the States as the platform for a 3.4L conversion.

Any other tips for buyers looking to purchase a car from the U.S.?

Quick Reply: Import U.S. boxster into Canada