Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardtop install DIY??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:43 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I did it the hard way and didn't remove anything - but that is why I taped the screw to the key so well. I didn't drop the screws - I don't know where they go if you do.....?

Actually , I have to admit, my fit was pretty good from the start so I didn't have to do much adjusting.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you already have a heated window are you simply unplugging the connector on the window and reconnecting on the new one.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:10 AM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Irishdriver,

May we use your pictures the next time someone asks?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Of course, Paul,

- Just don't charge anyone any money to see them !!

Fletcher,
my cabrio top doesn't have a heater in the (plastic) window. So the socket is covered with its own little cover when the soft top is in use. I don't know if the soft tops with the glass window have a heater. Who can help here?
Old 05-02-2005, 12:50 AM
cliang
Instructor

Where do you access the carpeted panels for removal? I found one screw half way down by the engine cover but was unable to to get the upper part loose.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think there's another screw in the carpet at the bottom (gotta really feel for them), then if I recall correctly the top is released from a screw in the plastic bits...around the same area as the spin locks are located. I'm sorry but my visual is drawing a blank...I just remember an "odd" screw that wasn't easy simple to remove either...

Not much help, am I?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Sorry I can't help - I didn't pull the carpets.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:49 PM
cliang
Instructor

Thanks for all your help. I'm actually removing the spinlocks because I'm selling the car I just got the passenger screw out but then dropped it!!! Unfortunately it wasn't magnetic. Now I'm trying reach the driver's side and am having real trouble getting straight access.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:23 PM
cliang
Instructor

Got the passenger side trim off. There is a small screw that faces the engine compartment that holds the top of the trim in place. I had to put the top in service mode and remove the storage compartment and part of the engine cover. Fortunately the stereo shop that installed my rear speaker kit didn't tighten the screw too well. I was able to hand loosen it. Now I have figure out the size for the driver's side. I'm figuring it's a 10mm hex but will need an open ended or box wrench to get to it. Why do they make such an easy project so complicated??? If the light's good, I'll try to take so photos to post.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Why bother? a new set of spin locks is only a few dollars.

Much cheaper than the hours of labour you seem to be into - and if you are selling a hard top separately it will make no difference to the price.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:46 AM
cliang
Instructor

You're probably right. Once I started the project I had to finish it. The spinlocks cost about $80 for the set. It's nice to say you can offer a complete kit for sale. When I purchased the top, nobody told me I needed the spinlocks. I had to talk to at least a half dozen dealers before I found someone who knew what I was talking about.
I figured out that you don't have to open the engine compartment when I did the driver's side. Definitely makes it much easier to install or remove and you don't have to worry about dropping the screw. Now that I've done it and know what to do, the job should only take 20 minutes.
Now I have an Artic Silver hardtop for sale including spinlocks, storage cart, and rear window pad.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:10 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

I understand the problem....I picked up my hard top 500 km from home and that was when I found I didn't have the spinlocks fitted. I had to drive home slowly with just the front catch holding the roof.

The parts here cost about 50 Euro (about 65$) and every Porsche dealer has them. They get easy money fitting them every time a new boxster owner decides he should get a hard top for winter.

I think it was a bit mean not to fit them as standard in all cars. But now you know why Porsche are making soooo much money.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishdriver
I understand the problem....I picked up my hard top 500 km from home and that was when I found I didn't have the spinlocks fitted. I had to drive home slowly with just the front catch holding the roof.
I had to do that! ...but I was only 7.5 miles from home and didn't have to travel via highway anywhere. Still, I was nervous as hell! Whew!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:34 PM
cliang
Instructor

I was 100miles from home. Luckily I had a friend with a large enough truck that lived close by.

I was able to find a local dealer tech to install the spinlocks on the side for $50. I wish I had paid attention to what he was doing. If I had I would have saved hours of time.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Mike Navarro
AutoX

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for your information in this post. I just got a hardtop and because of this post, I was able to install the spinlocks and get my hardtop mounted myself. It did take me about 2 1/2 hours but I'm not usually the DIY type so if your handy you should be able to do it easily. Take care,

Mike

Quick Reply: Hardtop install DIY??