Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Hardtop install DIY?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/191490-hardtop-install-diy.html)

Fletcher 03-14-2005 10:44 PM

Hardtop install DIY??

Anyone here done it themselves? Any pics or other diy links :)

ar38070 03-15-2005 01:44 AM

See www.renntech.org and do a search. It is not hard to do.

Moogle 03-15-2005 02:36 AM

basically you need to install the spinlocks, not hard.

Irishdriver 03-15-2005 04:25 AM

Yes I did it - the golden rule is don't drop the screws.

I have photos if you want to see them..?

PaulStewart 03-15-2005 04:30 AM

And adjust it to fit properly.

Doug&Julie 03-15-2005 12:20 PM

I did it on my car and it took HOURS, plus two trips to my mechanic to "fix" what I coudn't do. :banghead:

I did it on my brother's car and it took 15 minutes. :rolleyes:

A lot may depend on your car. But do a search here and there should be a couple of threads on this subject. Mine will be one of them!

Good luck!

Irishdriver 03-15-2005 04:51 PM

OK here we go...
I'll try to get these in the right order and no doubt we'll get additional advice along the way....

First find the receivers for the roof these are in the B posts... pic 1

then pull the plastic caps out of the holes......pic 2

Irishdriver 03-15-2005 04:54 PM

Now get the necessary bits from your friendly Porsche center.....pic 3

and drop the cylindrical part into the hole....pic 4 Making sure you have right and left correct.

Irishdriver 03-15-2005 04:58 PM

Now the fun part ...find some way to hold the screw to the allen key as I don't know if you will ever see the screw again if you drop it. Some recommend pushing the end of the screw through a plastic bag - I went for a piece of tank tape.....pic 5

and start looking for the hole.....here is the passenger side (easier to take a pic)...pic 6

Irishdriver 03-15-2005 05:02 PM

Of course the screw should go in sweet but it's best to locate it turn it in the wrong direction until you feel it is properly centered and then wind it in. It doesn't hurt to check if the threads of the hole are clean first !! pic 7

Irishdriver 03-15-2005 05:06 PM

now before you do anything else ..go and find the socket fot the rear window heater. It's on the driver side just behind the roof mounting point...pic 8

You have to lift to cover to see the connection...pic 9

Irishdriver 03-15-2005 05:16 PM

this is the exciting part....two people should lift the roof into place. Don't try it on your own as it's not heavy but it's akward and you will scratch something.

the front of the roof locates on the top of the screen and you let the back sit into place gently.

Now the pins on either side of the roof (pic 10) should be aligned with the receivers you've just fitted and by turning the red levers you should pull the roof nicely into place.

....adjustment...Hmmmm. If the roof doesn't sit nicely then you need to loosen the three allen bolts on each side holding the red levers to the roof. These are in slotted holes so you can adjust the roof with respect to the levers. We could get formal but the practical way to do this is to get a friend to push thr roof down into place an then tighten the allen bolts.

..get out have a look.....swear at your friend for not holding the roof in the right place.....apologise to your friend and ask him (her) to try again. You'll soon get it right. Pic 11 & 12.

Fletcher 03-15-2005 08:00 PM

Thank you! Great work!
Did you pull off the carpet panels to get to the allen screws?

ar38070 03-16-2005 11:15 AM

When I did mine I ended up pulling off the carpet pieces (after having dropped the screws 2 or 3 times and having to fish them out). It gives you a straighter shot at the screw holes and makes starting the screws straight a lot easier. Takes 10 minutes longer but you easily make this up if it prevents you from dropping a screw.

Doug&Julie 03-16-2005 11:17 AM

Ditto. And I think it makes it less likely to drop the screw. (one less thing to bang it on)