Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Boxster Recommendations Pls

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look alot btw. Mine are 18x10 with a 50mm offset but 18mm spacers giving a net 32 offset. I am also running 275's in the back. I think you are outboard about 5mm more than I am thus your rubbing problem. If all you need is 1/4" or so (and you don't want to change tires) consider installing some rubber coil insulators ala early Acura Integra. These have an adhesive strip to hold them in place and wrap around the coil. A better solution would be some thin gauge tough hose that you could cover the first two coils with top and bottom. This would get you 1-/8 to 1/4 inch higher in back. 10-1/2" rims really push the limits of rubbing. You can't beat the look though. What do they weigh?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got Kinesis Springs (wound by Eibach) on my 986. They work great and look great.

The drop is 1" at all four corners.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:22 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by Fletcher
I like the look alot btw. Mine are 18x10 with a 50mm offset but 18mm spacers giving a net 32 offset. I am also running 275's in the back. I think you are outboard about 5mm more than I am thus your rubbing problem. If all you need is 1/4" or so (and you don't want to change tires) consider installing some rubber coil insulators ala early Acura Integra. These have an adhesive strip to hold them in place and wrap around the coil. A better solution would be some thin gauge tough hose that you could cover the first two coils with top and bottom. This would get you 1-/8 to 1/4 inch higher in back. 10-1/2" rims really push the limits of rubbing. You can't beat the look though. What do they weigh?
Well, I'm going to bite the bullet and get the JIC coilovers. Just a matter of picking which spring rates I want. Thanks for the suggestions, though; I was wondering about how to raise the body without using a spacer (safety reasons). Also, the rims weigh in at 17 lb and 19 lb each (front and rear). The tires turned out to be quite heavy, 23 lb each for the front tires and 31 lb for the rears. Even at that, I saved 4 lb for each front wheel/tire combo and 5 lb for each rear wheel/tire for a total savings of 18 lb of rotating unsprung weight. The weights are compared to my old stock rim setup of 7.5" and 9" Turbo-twists with 225-40/18 and 265-35/18 Dunlop SSR's.

Bruinbro
Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That silver Volk Boxster needs more offset to make them 10.5" rears fit. Looks a bit too aggressive even with the negative camber.

Looks hella wide from the rear. Steamrollers, baby!
Old 03-21-2005, 02:52 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
That silver Volk Boxster needs more offset to make them 10.5" rears fit. Looks a bit too aggressive even with the negative camber.

Looks hella wide from the rear. Steamrollers, baby!
Can't get any more offset as there is about 2 credit card thicknesses gap between the tire and the shock tower. Yes, they do look like steamrollers!

Bruinbro

Quick Reply: Lowering Boxster Recommendations Pls