Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987: to S or not to S

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:50 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

That's how much FLA and CA are asking. My dealer was in PA, and it was always MSRP. He even had one on the lot that he would sel at the OLD MSRP, a savings of $2K. It won't be long before discounts are offered. Stll overpriced if you compare it to other cars out there, like the Boxster.

Not enough ooomph on the Boxster? Try the Elise. It is positively dead below 6K RPM. You gotta wind the sucker up to get anything out of it. Sort of fun, really. But, stop lusting for the Elise if you found the Boxster to have no oomph.

I plan to track the 987S. It's got a bit more horses, closer to the 996 than ever before. Should teach me better driving techniques by forcing me to learn about maintaining momentum. i'm looking forward to the experience of tracking it. I still have the C4S for additional ooomph.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:09 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Not enough ooomph on the Boxster? Try the Elise. It is positively dead below 6K RPM. You gotta wind the sucker up to get anything out of it. Sort of fun, really. But, stop lusting for the Elise if you found the Boxster to have no oomph.
well, 6th fastest time on top gear has gotta count for sumthin .
i know it's just a tv program but it beat out the 996 gt3 :O can a boxster S do that (seriously not knocking the boxster)?

since i saw that i've been dreaming.

(sorry, for the OT)
Old 02-25-2005, 03:07 PM
mbr129
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
i know it's just a tv program but it beat out the 996 gt3 :O can a boxster S do that (seriously not knocking the boxster)?

(sorry, for the OT)
That "time" was at a track. The elise is a better track car, no question. But around town and in daily driving, the Boxster is far superior.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by karlooz

(sorry, for the OT)
Naah, I don't think it's OT. It's about the Boxster vs Elise vs Porsche.

Top gear is a British production, ain't it? They even had the Elise evading "gunfire" from a combat helicopter. No way can the Elise beat the GT3 in real life.

On the R&T shootout about the best sportscar (won by C6 Vette, natch), the Elise lost out to the 987S on performance. The 987S beat the Enzo and Elise on the slalom, and it had better lap times than the Elise in Buttonwillow. And the 987S was on street tires while the eElise was on track tires! About the only real place the Elise beat the 987S on performance was fuel economy, a very important performance variable .

So, not only is the 987S much more superior to the Elise on the street, it is also superior to the Elise on the track!! The new 987S is a better track car than the Elise!!

Want one more reason why my passion for the Elise died? The pedal position is terrible for heel and toe. Gas pedal is higher or level with the brake pedal when at rest. With the foot pushing down hard on the brake, the gas pedal is level with the ankle!! Made me wonder how track dedicated it really was if so simple a design as pedal position for heel and toe was neglected. Plus, the 987S is so easy to learn to drive fast. Unlike the Elise.

Edit. It looks like my posts about the Elise are long. I really liked the Elise. Like you, I lusted for it. It was such a big disappointment when confronted with reality.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:55 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey palting ,

about top gear, i kinda figured as much that bit with the helicopter was pretty stupid but i guess entertaining.
as the attachement shows, the exige will be close to the gt3 on a shorter track but on a long track like nurburgring then the lotus runs out of gas. however against the 986S it's much closer

i guess i need to try the elise out for myself
Originally Posted by Palting
Naah, I don't think it's OT. It's about the Boxster vs Elise vs Porsche.

Top gear is a British production, ain't it? They even had the Elise evading "gunfire" from a combat helicopter. No way can the Elise beat the GT3 in real life.

On the R&T shootout about the best sportscar (won by C6 Vette, natch), the Elise lost out to the 987S on performance. The 987S beat the Enzo and Elise on the slalom, and it had better lap times than the Elise in Buttonwillow. And the 987S was on street tires while the eElise was on track tires! About the only real place the Elise beat the 987S on performance was fuel economy, a very important performance variable .

So, not only is the 987S much more superior to the Elise on the street, it is also superior to the Elise on the track!! The new 987S is a better track car than the Elise!!

Want one more reason why my passion for the Elise died? The pedal position is terrible for heel and toe. Gas pedal is higher or level with the brake pedal when at rest. With the foot pushing down hard on the brake, the gas pedal is level with the ankle!! Made me wonder how track dedicated it really was if so simple a design as pedal position for heel and toe was neglected. Plus, the 987S is so easy to learn to drive fast. Unlike the Elise.

Edit. It looks like my posts about the Elise are long. I really liked the Elise. Like you, I lusted for it. It was such a big disappointment when confronted with reality.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Thats the old Boxster, circa 1999. New Boxster has more power, stiffer chassis, better suspension, etc. Think how much better the 2005 Boxster would be on those tests. Plus, put on track tires to make it more comparable to the Exige/Elise that run on track tires already, and it would be even better.

Not bashing the Elise/Exige by a long shot. It's an excellent car. Price comes too close to the Boxster S, though, and it loses in the comparison. They should have stuck to the original plan to keep it below $40K.

Quick Reply: 987: to S or not to S