Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Bitten by Boxster bug. Questions inside

Hey guys, I've made the decision to pickup a Boxster either by the end of this year or early '06 after I graduate National University.

I've been looking at 2000 and 2001 since it's a great price for the 2.7L motor. I do have some questions though that pertain to the Porsche Sport Exhaust option for the car.

First of all, I have seen a PSE where the bypass pipes are visible from underneath the car and run parallel along the rear part of the muffler, this can be seen from the rear of the car. I'd like to know what year this PSE muffler is. I also saw a post a while back about a Rennlister wondering the difference between a Techquipment PSE and factory PSE. I thought those were the same mufflers?

My second question also pertains with a permanent bypass on the PSE. How do you go about bypassing the electronic solenoids and leaving the bypass pipes stuck in the "on" position?

Thanks Dennis in PA for letting me see your Boxster 550 SE. You've inspired me to get one
Old 02-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Hey guys to add on again to my thread, I'd like to also know if its possible to fit up a GT3 front bumper and GT3 sideskirts on the car. I know that the Aerokit II package is available for the update but I don't want the rear spoiler that comes with the kit.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for my incomplete 3rd-hand information, but there are 2 PSEs for the Boxster. Boxsters can be ordered from the factory with them. My guess is that the Tequipment ones are simply "retrofit" similar to Tequipment Litronics. In either case, I believe the default is open bypass all the time unless you hook up the electronics and vacuum lines which most people don't do. The latter PSE is designed for '03 (I think) and newer Boxsters because they have the lower valence under the rear bumper. The original PSE with external pipes won't clear the newer valence, so the PSE was redesigned with the bypass pipes moved inside/behind. From what I have been able to infer, most people prefer the sound of the newer one and it seems the newer one can be fitted on the earlier Boxsters as well. There are also plenty of aftermarket mufflers. Congrats on your Boxster decision. They are fun cars!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a Boxster eh?

Tequipment and Factory PSE are the same thing, tequipment just means an AFTER factory retrofit.

the switch can be used or not used, all the switch does is cutoff the sound from like 20-40 mph autmatically, and also can be used to keep it in quiet mode all the time, most people 'bypass' (har har) this switch alltogether.

aerokit can be fitted without the rear spoiler, however, aerodynamics over 120mph cannot be guarranteed.

PS. you must buy guards red, speedster humps look great

Old 02-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Moogle, the RUF 3400S has basically the same features as the Aerokit II, but without the rear spoiler of the aerokit. I figure I'd do a 3400S clone from the outside with RUF 18" wheels. I prefer getting an Arctic Silver.

Anyways, I might as well check out an Aerokit II package from MASHAW and slap that on without the spoiler. Moogle, I also want Speedster humps too since I think it accents the car well and makes it more unique. I haven't seen a 986 run around San Diego with speedster humps for about 3 years.

As for exhaust, the price of the Tequipment sport muffler made my stomach sink into my feet. The GHL exhaust seems more reasonable, but is it loud? (YES I WANT LOUD TOO!)

Last edited by TheStig; 02-16-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:32 PM
dennis a from pa
Instructor

hey andy,

nice to have met you too....my 550 SE has the tequipment PSE..It is for 03s and 4s...earlier models get the exposed pipe and holes..however the level of sound is quite a bit less.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:41 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Hey Andy,

I think you'll like the Boxster alot, but being a 928 owner too, one thing will disappoint you too. If I haven't been in the 928 for awhile (like right now it's been a couple of months for me) the Boxster is fantastic. The first time you drive the 928 home then go out a little later in the Boxster, you'll be disappointed with the accelleration. I feel like "is this thing gonna go?" when I get in it after a few days of driving the 928. The ride in the Boxster is rougher too, but that's due to the better handling.

If you're heading straight to the mountains, the Boxster can't be beat. It's also the most fun car to be in on Spring/Summer sunny days.

Have fun!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

I had driven a 1998 about 2 years ago and I really liked the ride on it. The power at the time was enough for me for a commuter car, which it will be used for since my 944 is becoming less roadworthy and more trackworthy with its suspension.

The 928 I will most likely hand over my name on the title to my dad so he will have full ownership of the car. Eventually I'll get back into one though.

After I buy a home, I still would like to get next a 993 to convert to RS Clubsport bodywork and suspension, which will be the weekend car. This will most likely result in the sale of my 944

Last edited by TheStig; 02-17-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest issue is you drive a 2,7 boxster on revs whereas you drive a 928 on torque. If you drive the 2,7 on low revs it feels gutless.

It is a common modification here to fit the facelift wings (fenders?), lights and bumper from the 996 to the boxster. The bits bolt on no problem.

The wings are necessary as the second generation litronic lights are wider than the originals. Many people retro fit litronic lights but the first generatioin only have litronic for the low beam. I'm not sure when the spec changed.

So fitting the GT3 bumper should be a straght forward swap.

I don't think the wheelbase is the same as a 996 so I'm not sure about side skirts.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

woah wait, so if I were to fit Litronics on my 986 there'd be aproblem? What about '99 boxsters would there be a problem too with a Litronic install?
Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Irishdriver...with you there. The Boxster is the best care I've driven when we're in the North Georgia mountains. The handling is incredible through the curves and hills. It is the torque I miss in the every day driving. To work and back it's great to touch the gas and you're flying, but I'd take the Boxster over the 928 anytime you need finess. The Boxster sounds so sweet too...nice, quiet, unique sound even at high revs. Beats the heck out of the rice-rockets my redneck neighbors drive (and you can hear from miles away).

Btw, love that avatar. It's like looking in the mirror.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Just to show you what I have planned for the Boxster I wanna get..

Old 02-22-2005, 12:15 PM
opass
Instructor

HTML Code:
 I haven't seen a 986 run around San Diego with speedster humps for about 3 years.
You forgot my Polar Silver 986S with speedhumps and Aerokit II at the San Diego run about 6 months ago?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Sorry Jackey I completely forgot that you had Speedster humps on your car! Although your car was also part of my inspiration to get the Aerokit II bumper and sideskirts
Old 02-22-2005, 03:36 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
Moogle, the RUF 3400S has basically the same features as the Aerokit II, but without the rear spoiler of the aerokit. I figure I'd do a 3400S clone from the outside with RUF 18" wheels. I prefer getting an Arctic Silver.
Hey Andy, definitely get the RUF front bumper and sideskirts. IMO it is the best looking kit out there (of course I may be biased since I have the kit on my 996 cabriolet.) Here's a picture I found on another forum. It looks sharp in Seal Gray and I'm sure Arctic Silver would look good too.

Quick Reply: Bitten by Boxster bug. Questions inside