rattling sound at the time of starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
aman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattling sound at the time of starting

Guys,

First of all I'd like to thank you all for helping me with the break microswitch problem. I think I saved a bundle by replacing it myself. I have another problem though. Sometimes when I start my boxster (1998) it makes a rattling sound for a second at the time of the start. But the sound goes away immediately and then the engine sound is normal. It mostly happens when I start the car in the morning. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem. I am planning to get a major service done on monday, so it will be great if some one could reply back by then.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Aman
Old 02-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Just the lack of oil to the lifters, normal, made worse by cold heavier oils. Might try the 0-40 Mobile one. You will still get some rattle. I spoke to the dealer at length about this.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Pyroproblem
Intermediate

Like he said. Its just your lifters not seeing oil pressure momentarily. Normal operation
Old 02-21-2005, 12:25 AM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

I'm with them, that's not a problem.

If you hear that kind of noise on a regular basis for awhile after starting, read the article ''Falling In Love With A Porsche" in this month's Panorama about how to drive your convertible racer.

My 928 makes that noise constantly at idle. Now I know why rennlisters said "drive her down the freeway in a lower gear at 5000 rpm for awhile." Carbon build up from the PO driving her like a Honda instead of a Porsche.

Have a great week!!

Quick Reply: rattling sound at the time of starting