Sponsored by:

ECU flashloading for Boxsters!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ECU flashloading for Boxsters!!

Many of you know there have been a lot of various ways to modify your ECU. In the past it meant taking the ECU apart and de-soldering a chip that did not want to be removed, then burn the new setup in the ecu, re-solder it and give it back.

GIAC continues to move forward with newer and better technology. The learning curve will do that for you. The point of this post is to let you guys know that there is a new way of doing things. We now no longer need to de-solder anything. In fact GIAC has as far as I know the first flash loaders for the 986. We now either plug into your OBDII port or plug into the ecu on a bench and upload a performance file that adds a real 15HP. No solder, no tampering. All done via a laptop.

Normally I spend my time helping and answering tech questions. So please excuse the advert. I felt like you guys would want to know this now exist and that there is an alternative. The cost of this flash for the S is 795.00 and the normal version will be several hundred less than that.

Thanks for the bandwidth.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:04 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much for the 2.7 cars? Still 15h.p.?
Old 02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It will be about 600.00 and will add about 11HP.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Thanks. How about if we want to flash it ourselves? How much is the device? Can we return to stock program at will? Do we specify modifications at time of purchase?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:02 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sorry, the flash software stays with the dealers. The stock program can always be flashed back in when you would like.

Yes, if you have an intake etc you would let us know you have that before we programed the ecu.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Fletcher
Racer

Can the dealer detect the software?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

and 15 for just re-programming is great, do you have any other small add-on's that in conjunction with the new programming will result in additional ponies without messing up the torque?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Please excuse my doubt in your product, but a 11-15 hp bump from a ECU re-flash seems a little optimistic. I'm sure that you can appreciate why individuals like myself might be sceptical with so many aftermarket suppliers (from exhaust to headers) claiming similar increases.

What engine parameters does your product modify to gain this increase (redline increase, fuel mixture, etc.)?

Do you have any satisfied customers willing to post their dyno results?

Do you have any other documented proof (i.e. verified third party testing, magazine test, etc.)?

I have heard in the past that re-flashes don't last, and that the ecu will eventually return to their original settings......any truth to that?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Crickets chirping.......
Old 02-09-2005, 05:04 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hear a bullfrog or two as well...
Old 02-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to day 2.....
Old 02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Opps sorry guys, my email notification didn't email me. Wow!! Great questions..

No apology necessary. I am use to it. If you check out the last months excellence I think you will see we are use to creating real HP. That is my yellow TT

There are several parameters that are changed. The primary ones are fuel and timing maps. Porsche always leaves something on the table. For example, the 997 and the 997S as well as the 3.6 996 were said to be at their max levels. Yet they were still tuned and picked up a gain. My point is there is still room to improve if you know how to tune these cars.

We just did an 04S in TX. I will see if he is willing to run some dynos and post them for you. It will mean more coming from him.

Not from a Magazine. Most are chasing the bigger articles. A 15HP flash loader program I suspect is low on their list. too bad in my eyes.

No, this is 100% false!! If you think about it, that really makes no sense. When you program an ecu the procedure is one like a disc. You read the information and either delete it or copy over it. In the case of the Porsche ECU it is a little more complicated then that, but still works similar. The file has to be loaded in to the chip. This is done one of three ways. The first is to remove the ECU and desolder the chip so that it can be placed in a EMP21 or like. Read the info down in binary code then save and erase that chip. You then would have to merge your information with another program for performance and reload that in the buffer then copy it to the chip. Remove the chip then solder it back in place. That is one method. The second is from the dealer. From time to time they have a software change for emission reasons etc. They get the updates from PCNA then load that into the PST2 or 3. They plug into the OBDII port make communication to the ECU, read your file and take the VIN/Immobilizer codes and merge them with the updated file. The file then is saved in the chip via that port and they are done. The third method is ours which does the same thing as the factory, but we are adding a performance file not just an emissions files etc. We also can upload the software through the plugs of the ECU on the bench. Meaning we still OBDII port flash but it is done on a bench with a factory modified harness. So the long and short of this is there is no way once that file is loaded (like a disc) that info can be removed without reloading it or deleting that file. The ECUs only read information, not write it.

The dealer can do a map comparison and see a change. Although most don't do it. It is not something that they will plug into the ECU port then be alerted. By law they can not void your warranty anyway. Whole different subject.

Lastly, RayS I make this offer to you. If you have an interest and a S and doubt is in place, send me the ECU. We have a 30 day guarantee on satisfaction. If you don't like it then send it back, I will make it stock and refund the money. No harm done. I think if you ask John D and others around you will find few like me in the industry. My company was a hobby that went out of control. I got sick of all the snake oil and created my own business that delivers quality with attention to detail. Mostly in the turbos, but we have been playing with the 986 for a little while now. I will post pics of our upcoming product to be released in the spring. I can't say what it is yet. But will shortly
Old 02-10-2005, 01:21 PM
MiniDriver
5th Gear

Ray S,

"Please excuse my doubt in your product, but a 11-15 hp bump from a ECU re-flash seems a little optimistic. I'm sure that you can appreciate why individuals like myself might be sceptical with so many aftermarket suppliers (from exhaust to headers) claiming similar increases.

What engine parameters does your product modify to gain this increase (redline increase, fuel mixture, etc.)?

Do you have any satisfied customers willing to post their dyno results?

Do you have any other documented proof (i.e. verified third party testing, magazine test, etc.)?

I have heard in the past that re-flashes don't last, and that the ecu will eventually return to their original settings......any truth to that?"

Ray S

Hi I'm am new to this site, I currently drive a 2004 MCS 1.6L Super Charged with InterCooler in stock trim it produce's 163 HP and about 155Ft lb Tq.
I have installed a 15% reduction pulley on the SC and done a ECU Remap from a company in Germany basically you down load your current ECU and send it to Franz (MTH-CARTUNE) he modifies the map sends it back through email you then upload it back to your car, the only thing you need is a Laptop and a OBDI Serial cable I purchased a used cable for 50.00 new from Germany with frt included you pay about 100.00 the MTH software remap will cost you about 77.00 ya that's right 77.00 real world dyno proven results of appro 15 Hp and 8Ft Lb Tq in the lower RPM Band. GIAC is something I am aware of but this is the first I have heard of them doing a remap with the OBDI port in the past it has been a hardware upgrade. so to ans your question does something like this work Oh ya does it go away oh no. Franz at MTH recalibrate the rev limiter to 7250, removes the top speed limiter and reconfigures the DSC/ASC to kick in later this can be found on some of the Mini Cooper forums NAM, MINI2. CooperSpeed.com etc it has been done thousands of time and is a real deal!!!! if GIAC is doing something along the same lines you will not be disappointed!!!! just my 0.2 cents worth but for the above mentioned price!!!!!!!!!! ok maybe way to much. With the pulley and the MTH upgrade I now put 176 Hp and 162 ft lbs TQ to the wheels in a 2600 lb car this is a real blast my milage has even gotten better!!!!!

Mike
Old 02-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Neil@Orton
Banned

Our system is a little bit different.We down load the original file from the ECU,Modify it then download it back into the ECU.

Neil
Old 02-10-2005, 01:34 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Mike,
Keep in mind that GIAC also has the flash loading for the mini as well. I have not done any yet, but many of the GIAC dealers have been doing the minis for a while in OBD loaded fashion. We have been doing the Audi VW for a long while now. Next will be the handheld switcher through the OBD port. Lastly we do both the drive by wire 986/996 and cable 986/996 either port or bench flash.

The major difference is the end user with our stuff doesn't get a file access to download. What they do get is the largest tuning network and anytime an upgrade comes out for the file they have it is free for life. Also like on the TTs if they have bought a program and upgrade turbos we always give them credit for what they have paid for the original program.

Sounds like your car scoots!

Quick Reply: ECU flashloading for Boxsters!!