Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend a Boxster to a friend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:54 PM
poindex30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paul,

Can a 3.4 liter engine fit in a Boxster? I was thinking the same thing. If the engine blows I could a 3.4 and keep the car for a really long time. The parts guy at the local dealership told me that the 3.4 engine doesn't fit a Boxster.

Somewhere during this string of messages I decided that I must have a Boxster and I've been searching the Internet hours per day looking for the right one. I just don't want to travel only to find out that the car I saw in pictures was really misrepresented.

Do you think buying from a Porsche dealer is the safest way to go?

My biggest concern is whether to buy it in silver or black. Either way I would be very happy.

Thanks,

Mickey
Old 12-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3.4L is an easy fit. 3.6L will fit also, but more tricky due to eGas and related issues.

Ruf will soon offer a 3.8L Boxster!

RUF BOXSTER CONVERSIONS
Old 12-20-2004, 06:42 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 99 Posts

Hi Mickey,

I'm not a great source of wisdom here, but I think the Boxster is fantastic and can easily understand why you may want to get one. I may do the same in the future. In your shoes I would definitely look at "Porsche certified pre-owned" or whatever the dealer calls it. Reasons are:

Warranty, and lack of trouble with warranty claims.
The dealers only keep cars that have been properly looked after

Every time I go by the local Porsche dealer to pick up parts, they usually have a few of these pre-owned Boxsters and I always look them over carefully. They are nice. Many times, they will even display one in the showroom. I had a friend with me the other day and he was certain he was looking at a new car, would not believe me when I told him it was pre-owned until he leaned over the driver's door and looked at the odometer.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:32 PM
davecarpe
3rd Gear

Default Used Boxster S with Warranty

My local dealer (Newton Motorsports) has a used 2000 Boxster S for sale for $26,999. He says he could Porsche Certify it for $2K. The miles are 46,187 which is why the price is cheap but I drove it. It's a great car. It's triple black with the upgraded leather seats and seat heaters.

I didn't buy because I didn't want black and I wante dthe Litronic lights and 18 inch wheels. I found my car which is on its way to me now.

This is a little high on you budget but it shows they are out there and if you can strecth you can get an S with a warranty. Once you drive an S, it's tough to go back to the regular Boxster!

Dave

Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2004, 09:10 AM
poindex30
Racer

Dave,

Your car is beautiful! Congratulations!

You mentioned that your car is on its way to you. How far from home did you go to purchase it? Why didn't you drive it back? Just curious.

That's a great color.

Mickey
Old 12-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI - I'm just shy of two years in my '99. No problems to speak of (seat belt latch replaced under warranty). No RMS issues. No clutch problems. No top problems. Just had it serviced and my mechanic gave it a thorough checking over...said it looks excellent. This is one of the best cars I've ever owned. So, YES, I would recommend one to a friend. In fact, I recommended one to my brother...he now owns an '03 and loves it. BUT, he may be "moving up" to a brand spanking new S model, so I may try to buy his '03. (...which means my '99 will be for sale...ahem... )
Old 12-21-2004, 01:09 PM
davecarpe
3rd Gear

Mickey,

Thanks. I bought the car from a very nice fellow in Omaha, NE. The main reason I went for it is the color and that it had almost every option I could want on the car. The color is Cobalt Blue, which is one of the "special" colors that Porsche cahrged an extra $3K for, so it is not very common. It is on a transporter now on its way to NJ. I'm enjoying tracking the transporter on the web.

The scheduled delivery date is 12/28 and I can't stand the waiting!

Dave
Old 12-21-2004, 01:27 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

That is a VERY beautiful color for a 986.

Hope to join you in the new Boxster owner's group soon!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Sean
Drifting

Cobalt Blue is a fantastic color. Looks like you'll have a happy holidays for sure. Congrats!
Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mickey,

The folks over at www.ppbb.com, reccommended www.warrantydirect.com

I could not believe how inexpensive it was. I have had one claim for the coolant bottle replacement at my Porsche mechanic non dealer. They covered it without a problem. I am only a customer of Warranty Direct and have no other interests in them.

Good luck with your decisions
Old 12-21-2004, 03:07 PM
ettsn
Pro

As Sean pointed out, the 3.4 swap is straightforward and well-documented. There are several reputable companies making swap kits, in fact. Your dealer parts guy is either toting the company line, or is sorely misinformed.

-Paul
Old 12-24-2004, 09:24 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

As stated earlier, be careful what you believe on the internet when it comes to reliability (for any car) Sure there are problems with the RMS on the boxster and the 996, but the 993's have issues that are coming to light as they get older. After driving an S and a nicely setup '98 this past week, I am convinced that the used boxster might be the best Porsche out there for the $$ right now.

The 993 prices continue to go up...you can't touch a decent '95 for below the mid 30's where you can pick up a nice '98 for high teens to low 20's and '99 for low 20's! Big Big bargain if you ask me!

Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Harmon
3rd Gear

Just had my RMS and some other things replaced this past weekend. A couple of things I learned:

1. At my dealership, RMS replacement is a $900 repair. I also found a reputable Porsche-only indy shop that would do it for $445. Not pleasant, but way below $10k.

2. It's true that some of the RMS oil leaks required an engine replacement. My understanding of this is that some Boxsters had a manufacturing defect causing this leak. My car is an '01 with 54k miles on it. I was told by two people at the dealership not to worry about that because this particular problem would have manifested itself way before 4 years and 50k miles.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:31 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone should own a Boxster.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:25 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back when I worked at a Porsche dealer, there was one that burned to the ground. it was amazing... we got a melted shell of a car. Turns out the owner f*cked around with the fuel lines or something and that caused the fire. Porsche did not replace his car, as it wasn't a problem with the initial build of the vehicle.

a car crusher came and crushed it in our lot, then hauled it off...we took the airbags and set em off for fun...

Quick Reply: Would you recommend a Boxster to a friend?