BoxsterS owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:22 AM
zerofighter
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BoxsterS owners

Hi all, New here. Just some questions for you guys. Here is my situation:

My father pitched the idea of him buying my 540 off me in maybe a year. After driving my co-workers 996 C2, I am in love with porsches now. My question is: BoxsterS or 996 C2. Before you answer, here are some pros and cons.

BoxsterS:
around 55k+CAD
252hp/229tq
0-60 5.3 sec 13.9@100MPH 1/4mile

Pros-
-Cheaper, 8k+ cheaper
-Newer, 01-02+
-warrenty
-would be about to finance through porsche canada via 60/40 finance instead of -straight finance
-drop top!
-more options
-less kms

Cons-
-its a boxster....."for those people who can't afford the 911"
-not quite as quick as the C2
-more common, people will think I am having a mid-life crisis

Carrera (C2 = rwd)
around 65kCAD
300hp/258tq
0-60 4.9sec 13.5@105MPH 1/4mile

Pros-
-more power/torque
-seats 4, kinda...
-not everybody has one, not a mid life crisis car

Cons-
-costs more 8k+
-older 99
-warrenty will be scarce
-most likely would have to straight finance
-not a cab
-less options
-more kms

The performance stats aren't very far off, either would be great. But I would prefer to get the C2, but the price difference kind of scares me. I'm just doing some research for now...nothing final.....yet.

Opinions are always welcome.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:43 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Welcome to the Boxster losers club.

I would recommend seeing a Porsche shrink to get over the mid-life-crisis deal, and the "for those people who can't afford the 911" nonsense. If you can't then just get the 911 and walk through life with your brand of confidence.

Seriously, I went through the same kind of decision but for different reasons. I love 911s but know that the Boxster is an absolutely fantastic car. People who don't realize this are just plain ignorant. IGNORANT! I was really interested in a 993 but in the end it was the new car, full-warranty situation and deal that sold me. I have absolutely no regrets because what I have discovered is that I am hopelessly roadster, and in my opinion the Boxster is the best-driving, best-looking roadster you can buy. If I can help it there will be a 911 in the cards, but as an addition to the Porsche experience, not a step up the ladder.

Stay away from a 99 C2. They have first-model-year issues and it’s reflected in the pricing. Do your homework, and start out by trying to discover which car you really want. Good luck… it took me a good year to decide and find a deal.

By the way, my wife laid that mid-life deal on me. But actually getting the Boxster cured it because she can't deny that it was a match made in heaven. However, I expect it to relive it again when she finds out I want to spend $3500 on a set of new wheels. Boys will be boys, no matter what age we are.

So, lay down on zuh sofa and tell me, vhat exa-a-actly is it zat you vhant?!

Last edited by designman; 11-23-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:44 PM
zerofighter
Rennlist Member

I agree with you on the 911 comment, but unfortunately, that is what a lot of people think. But, it doesn't matter much too me. I know the 99 C2's have some minor problems here and there. The boxsterS does seem pretty closely matched in terms of performance. The fact that it is a droptop is even better for me, I just love convertables! I find that with a newer car, you would be able to do special finances via porsche canada am I right? Like a 60/40 finance, balloon payment, etc.

PS: I just say a picture of an 00 C2 with the gt3 aerokit And I must say, it looks great! Would you be able to get that on the boxsterS?
Old 11-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree w/designman.....get what makes you happy. You should have absolutely no reason to feel insecure about either choice.

I have a 986 now and I'm looking at adding a 996 because I am replacing my daily driver and have decided that my 986 will remain a summer only car. IMHO the 986 is more fun to drive, but you do notice the extra "ommphh" in the 996 and it is quieter and more comfortable to drive (plus the "hard" top is more suited to winter weather).

Drive both and get what you like. Screw what "others" may think!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM
opass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Top down experience is hard to beat.

Mid engine mount means a lot of fun, balance, performance...etc.

If I want 996, start with 2002 and up. Price range in low $50K. Better front look, better engine, more comfortable ( which depand on what you want between 986 and 996, kind of like performance vs. comfortable).
Old 11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Boxster is a blast to drive...I have an "S"...tons a fun...with respect to the 911... I prefer the classic lines of the 993 series as far as I am concerned that was the ultimate in terms of design, overall build quality and a certain raw aspect to the car...especially the turbo...there are no cup holders because you should have both hands on the wheel for that one...
Old 11-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Tour18
Banned

The Boxster is an abosolute jewel. It is certainly the most fun to toss around. And probably makes more sense if you are going to drive it every day.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:37 AM
Moogle
Race Car

boxster is one of the best cars i've ever driven

in S form, few cars in the world can match its poise and confidence inspiring dynamics and perfect balance.

there haven't been many machines in that price range that feel so perfect.

Quick Reply: BoxsterS owners