EVO Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 07:02 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO Intake

I'm considering installing an EVO Intake (seems to be the only real choice) on my '02 S . They offer the "QuickFlow" and "HighFlow" (for $100 more). They also claim 3-5HP gain for the "QuickFlow" and 8-10 "HighFlow". Does anyone have either of these installed? Have you noticed (either felt or via dyno) the increases they claim?

Any other thoughts, opinions, or comments in this area are welcome?

P.S. Exhaust (headers + muffler) research is ongoing so I'm sure I'll have questions about that in the next few days, however, GHL seems to be the front runner at this time...
Old 10-28-2004, 07:26 PM
JP-"S"
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 50 Posts

I have the EVO amd love it. Good sound more pull in the higher RPM range.

For the exhaust I am considering Instant G. I would like info on their sysem first though.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do them together, hopefully with parts from the same company, and get the ECU custom dyno tuned (most companies do this if its a package deal).

EVO makes good stuff.

you won't notice big gains by installing a hodgepodge of components from different manufactueres, nor will you be able to yield maximum gain without custom ECU Programming to utilize all the mods in unison
Old 10-28-2004, 08:33 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Do it Net! The sound will enhance your track experience. The sound is awesome. I got rid of the filter that came with the EVO(High Flow) after the second cleaning (very cheap, BMC is much better quality). A few people have done dynos on the EVO on PPBB, 6hp gain. I wrapped the heating shield and tubing with thermo wrap to prevent from engine heat as much as possible. After two years I replaced the MAF, but the MAF is known to fail with the OEM filter as well. At the time of replacing the MAF my Porsche tech advise me to take the throttle body off to clean (carb cleaner) the carb build up as well. Again,this upgrade is more about sound then anything. If the EVO is properly cleaned and maintained you should have no problems. After a while I felt like the exhaust was lacking, so I got the GHL (no hp gain). The first day I floored it with the GHL, I had second thoughts. But as every day past the tone change to a very DEEP, raspy sound, WOW. Resonance almost totally gone after about 1.5K. The sound is pure Porsche. The combination of the EVO and the GHL is unbelievable. 10K more and my warranty is up, looking at ECU and headers along with the intake for 280hp in the lighter pre-05 body or the future Boxster S Coupe. Decisions, decisions....
Old 10-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Fletcher
Racer

S-Car-Go racing also ofers a carbon fiber intake for $595. Hunpin @ Unlimited laps was very happy with his.
GIAC likes using the Evo unit and their ecu program is for this unit especially. All others would need a custom dyno tune (not a bad idea). The sacargo unit more closely mimics the expansion chamber at the throttle body (ala oem). Rob @ scargo claims 10 h.p. for the cf unit.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:37 PM
HBacura
Racer

[QUOTE=Fletcher]S-Car-Go racing also ofers a carbon fiber intake for $595. Hunpin @ Unlimited laps was very happy with his.
QUOTE]

$600 for a intake is really insane. Paying over $300 for the evo intake is a bit insane, especially with some research and about $60 you can build that same product and yield the same results if not better.

edt: but the tubing wouldn't be carbon fiber.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:56 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

For more info on intake systems do a search on Babblers.org. Again, the Scargo yields same results as the EVO.

Quick Reply: EVO Intake