Sponsored by:

Need hardtop adjustment help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 11:55 AM
opass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need hardtop adjustment help

The driver side gap between the hardtop and the car sit 3mm higher than the passenger side. Plus if take the hardtop few times off and put it on the ground. The gap is much bigger on both side.

Anyone can tell me the right way to make a correct setting?
Old 10-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are two triangular panels on the inside of the top where the pins are located. Pry the panels off (should be easy). Underneath are the adjustment plates for the pins. You'll need a 5mm allen wrench to do the adjusting. I don't really have any suggestions on the best way to adjust, other than putting on your the top, undoing all the allen bolts (I think there are five), and making it fit, then tighten them down. You may find a better way to fit your top. (?)

It sounds like your pin adjustment plates may not be tightened enough if they're moving when you put it on the ground. However, I would also suggest you get a padded rolling cart for your top to help protect it. I try to keep mine off the ground at all costs. But that's just me...

Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 PM
opass
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doug#Julie.....Good advise

I am thinking that might be the cause. Order HT hoist lift today. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this problem too - I've just got a hard top and I need to adjust it for my car.
There are the two side plates and the two pins on the top (where it joins the windscreen.

I reckon I must align the top first and then adjust the sides....?

Can anyone comment or advise if this is the right approach.
Anyway I will try tomorrow and post the results if they are not too embarassing.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:04 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well at first I went back and forth, adjusting...removing...adjusting again...fitting...not quite...removing...until it dawned on me the best approach would probably bet to loosen all the bolts, fit the top, then tighten the bolts. The only problem with that is you run the risk of the top not fitting quite tight enough on the car. In our case, I had Julie lean on the top (carefully!) while I tightened each side.

If you come up with something different, be sure to post!

Quick Reply: Need hardtop adjustment help