Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Boxster S vs Elise

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what im REALLY saying is, since you insist, that there shouldnt be any cross shoppng between the elise and the boxster, they are very different cars, the only thing they have in common is the mid engine layout.

the elise has a borrowed toyota engine that sounds like a lawnmower with a slightly better exhaust.

TVRs however, are another story in terms of sex appeal, lets hope the new russian owner can bring them to to the states, improve reliablity and safety, which in the past were non existent.

anyways, the only elises ive seen around here were driven by old OLD OLD men... mabye that should tell you something.

the important thing to remember is, the elise is 90% track car, and is honestly a bit over the top in terms of design.
Old 10-21-2004, 08:07 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
I have the 5th Gear episode about the Boxster. Tiff Needell and crew pretty much champion the Boxster as the world's best overall sports car. Plus you get to see Tiff driving a Boxster S on the track. Pretty cool stuff!
Do you have it in MPEG format or something you can send me or put up somewhere for download? I have a server if you need a place to put it. Let me know!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Fletcher
Racer

When the Box Coupe S comes out I think it will really set the bar. Porsche is not fooling around with this one, competition is very strong now and I think we will see an S coupe at around 45k. This car is going to be glorious!!
Old 10-22-2004, 12:48 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Moogle, what's your definition of an OLD, OLD man? I recall reading that the median age of Porsche owners is 60. Old men have the bucks to by nice cars after they have gone through their "responsible" phase. I have a relative who had a big ol' Harley until he was 80. The only reason he gave it up was because he dropped it while parking one day and couldn't pick it up. Broke his heart. Men who throb for sport take it to the grave.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have no doubt box S coupe will be glorious. however it will NOT be $45k unfortunately ;-(
Old 10-25-2004, 07:17 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

After driving the Elise for many hours and then returning it back in traffic and real world roads - I would not buy this car for nothing, if it was given to me, I most likely would sell it and buy another 986S - the ride is very hard - seats are very uncomfortable, many rattles, it was great on the track, but in real world driving - PASS ! again if this is going to ONLY TRACK USE - then, Go For it.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:02 PM
James-man
Race Car

The go-cart concept of the elise is intriguing for those of us that have < 10 mile commutes. You get to work before the car really annoys you on the 1 or 2 days a week that you actually drive it. The problem is, if the car is for the track as several have suggested, you have to GET IT TO THE TRACK. Trailering a streetable car seems unnecessary, but I can't imagine driving this car 100+ miles to the track and be rearing to go.

Is that car really that bad (aesthetics aside)?
Old 10-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

James,

Yes it is. I found the lack of power/torque down low to be disconcerting. You really had to squeeze this engine all the time to get much out of it. Toyota has had problems with this engine in the Celica and it has been suggested that there are simply inherent faults in the design. I can't imagine wanting to squeeze this engine all the time until it simply breaks as part of the 'fun' of the Elise experience. I wouldn't want to have to trailer it either, but like many the nearest track is probably 60+ miles away and I'd be pretty banged up by the time I got there with an Elise. I still think they are fun on the track and provide a different driving style/feel than almost anything else, but I can't see plunking down almost 50 large just for that.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

BTW, don't forget about the discussion on the same comparison on that other site:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/show...610#post109610
Old 10-28-2004, 12:39 AM
2drive
3rd Gear

Guy in my office building has an Elise on order. Was supposed to be delivered in July, no August, no September, no October. He's been crowing about it for quite a while now. I think he wants me to be jealous that it will be faster and will outhandle my '00 Boxster S. Not gonna happen though. I'm eager to see it, ride in it, maybe drive it even. But man, maybe the new Boxster will be out by the time he gets it.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can laugh at him when you open the door, and step into your boxster like any normal car,

while he has to do a monkey dance to get into his toyota engined toy car with pommel horses for door sills.

i dont know any ladies that will get into a car like that, too risky for a paris hilton moment.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Viken
That depends entirely on how aggressive of a track driver you are. The Boxster will be quite a bit easier to drive for most people.
Case in point- a friend of mine who is not a very experienced driver never got into trouble in his Boxster S.... 2 weeks ago he totally lost control of his 2002 Elise....

As Viken has said... it is very uncompromising on the road in so far as comfort is concerned. It really is meant 80% for the track and 20% for the road in my humble opinion.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:50 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems to me that the two cars are very different and target somewhat of a different audience. I personnally like the boxster because of the ragtop and that it's got some room for storing stuff. Both seem like great cars and anyone should be lucky to have either one....

I must admit that I've never seen the $40K Elise with a toyota engine on the same level with Ferrari as was mentioned on the Elise site....

Stacey
Old 10-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I test drove the Elise a few days - really fun car. Ride was very harsh with sport package, a little better with normal suspension. My 986S rides much better. I'll probably get an Elise and keep my Boxster S as well. After about 15 minutes of driving, I was ready to get out of the Elise. Very noisy but fun for short blasts. I'm not so sure how it will hold up at trackdays. Didn't feel as light as I expected. Definitely not a 4.4 sec 0-60 car despite what the magazines say. Engine feels like my old Integra type R. Steering very quick. I'm about 5' 11" 160lbs, it felt ok. The salesman was about 50lbs heavierthan me, I had to push his **** out of the car because he couldn't get out. I want to get one because the next generation will probably be heavier. I'm supposed to order one in January. I hope they have the LSD as an option by then.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:10 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Riz

"Didn't feel as light as I expected. Definitely not a 4.4 sec 0-60 car despite what the magazines say… I'm about 5' 11" 160lbs... The salesman was about 50lbs heavier than me…"
I'm sure you took this into consideration but at less than 2000 pounds with only 138 lb-ft of torque the weight of the salesman bogs it down considerably. Also did the guy let you wind it up? I declined a test drive because I knew the salesman had no clue about the car and wouldn't let me take it well over 7000 RPM where it belongs in order to be shifting into peak torque. The test car was at an Audi dealer and they would only let me drive on local streets.

Quick Reply: HELP! Boxster S vs Elise