Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Boxster S vs Elise

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 03:49 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Completely unrelated to much of what has been said here, but, if I were looking for a dedicated track car (and had 40K to spend) I would look for a good 951 and strip and prepare it for the track and keep lots of my money.

I was very keen on the Elise at first, but it is already becoming less interesting for me (although I actually have not driven it...so don't take what I say too seriously). Agree that the car will likely depreciate quickly and I think it will look dated in a few years.

The Boxster S (986 or 987) is a total package. If a lighter, simpler coupe appears (as it seems likely to) that would be fantastic...
Old 10-31-2004, 09:52 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Desighman: I really got to rev the heck out of it. I have experience with S2000/Type R motors in the past, So I told the salesman I'm going to rev it. He was pretty cool. You are right, his weight was definitely slowing me down. The car did have about 1200 miles on it, so it was broken in. The motor feels strong upto about 80mph then just builds speed like an electric motor. I just have my doubts about magazine tests. They must be dropping the clutch at 8000 RPM. I think it is probably a mid 5 sec 0-60 car then loses a lot of steam from 60 to 100. I think its forte is the handling/nimbleness. I liked it because it was fun without getting into triple digit speeds.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:21 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riz
I think it is probably a mid 5 sec 0-60 car then loses a lot of steam from 60 to 100. I think its forte is the handling/nimbleness. I liked it because it was fun without getting into triple digit speeds.
absolutely right. this car is for canyon carving and trackdays, it is by no means an attempt at the mclaren f1's top speed record.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM
toby-tronic
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this board and this topic stands out to me. I'm from the Uk and traded in a '99 Elise for a '03 Boxster S in August. There appears to be a wide ranging list of arguments to go either way with these cars and my route was to change to the S.

Costs for these 2 cars vary here greatly from yours in the US with my elise being £23k in yr2000(~40KUS) and the '02 Boxster £38k in aug '04 with many options (~65KUS).

The cars have very obvious features and this is the main one... The boxster is nearly twice the weight and twice the power and the drives compare exactly as you would expect from those facts. In the Uk there is a v.large elise community that use track days for entertainment and regional clubs for trips out, etc. The same exists for the Porsches but it is very 911 focussed. The porsche culture appears to be less interested in driving and more interested in porsches - although compared to the elise drivers they do have a few more extras to talk about!!

On the trips out I have had with lotus drivers I have found it a little harder to keep up in the Boxster but long straights are useful to wind the gap back. On the roads here in the UK the elise makes better use of its size (or lack of it) and the S can feel large. A lot of commitment is needed to keep up with an elise pressing on and I would say that the roles revered the elsie driver would have an easier time as they would find cornering a little more communicative. The feeling from the road surface transmitted through the elise steering wheel is franky exceptional and I do miss it.

As for living with the car the S gets used for work days more as the elise did and it was a harder to get into it inside my garage but at 230 pounds it would be!! Long journeys (220 miles plus) were despached in the elise on mainly motorways and the noise did make my ears ring at the other end and the lack of aircon is a issue but this can be specced on the latest cars if needed.

Finally, what I'd recommend....... if you want an elise then get the best condition old elise you can find. Have some fun with it on the track. Enhance its spec - uprate it in stages, treat it as a project - even Honda power is out there now for 240+BHP. Consider it a track car you can use on the road.

if you really want a boxtsre you won't put up with the elise but money is an issue. I don't know what a 2yr old Boxster costs in the states but if it is 40-50K USD then compared to a new elise.... the S would be my choice. If you can afford it buy both 2nd hand - a better 2 car package would be hard to find as the boxster appears to be all the car you would ever need for the road 'cos if you want to move furniture and DIY kit.....hire a van

I hope that helps but after reading 5 pages of posts I had to have a try at a reply. Also, the fifth gear program posters refer to was broadcast some time ago in the UK and Tiff being a Porsche fan was odds on to go with the Boxster
Old 01-13-2005, 10:16 PM
xclusivecar
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of the first Elise to arrive in the country and 2 months later got rid of it for a Boxster S. The Elise NEEDS to be kept in the 6500 and up range in order to go anywhere! Anything under 6500-you may as well be driving a Civic. I do not track and on the street the car is just terrible. Rough and loud--just not in a good way. It's so loud my wife and friends would say "were ONLY going 40?". The sounds it makes make you feel as if you are driving like a madman! On a positive note, the car did get all the looks!
The Boxster S has much more usable torque for the street and as far as I am concerned I will never look back. No Elise for the street...Yes Elise STRICTLY for the track.

Quick Reply: HELP! Boxster S vs Elise