Future Boxster Coupe pricing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:09 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future Boxster Coupe pricing?

Just thinking out loud, but what do you guys think the pricing bracket
should be for the forthcoming coupe?? Given the price diff between a 911 Coupe and Cab is $10K.........what do you think the difference will be for the Boxster / Boxster coupe?.......and what about the S version?
Old 07-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I HOPE it's cheaper, but probably not by much more than $4k - $5k. Of course, as long as it's taking for it to come out, and with price increases on convertibles, it may not be much cheaper than current models are now. I don't see them as a significant bargain. I hope I'm wrong...
Old 07-13-2004, 02:46 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Doug&Julie
Well I HOPE it's cheaper, but probably not by much more than $4k - $5k. Of course, as long as it's taking for it to come out, and with price increases on convertibles, it may not be much cheaper than current models are now. I don't see them as a significant bargain. I hope I'm wrong...
I'm thinking that the $4k - $5k diff would be spot on. As far as how long it is taking, I think Porsche (according to the press) is starting to stagger new models to market. I'm sure if they wanted to, the coupe could have been ready with the convertible. Must be interesting running a company where all new models tend to hit the market so close to each other.

I wonder how much Porsche is paying attention to its competitors who all seem to be offering cars with similar performance to the Boxster for much less $$$? Will that affect final coupe pricing?? Will they lower the pricing or up the equipment level to the others?......probably not, but to me it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:10 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by MikeN
I wonder how much Porsche is paying attention to its competitors who all seem to be offering cars with similar performance to the Boxster for much less $$$?
I think that's always been a "problem" with the entry level Porsches (914, 912, 944). Sometimes the 'Porsche pedigre' doesn't quite carry the extra money they're asking for, maybe more so than ever. I think they'll have to address that. Of course, being a Boxster owner, there are some things I love that are just too hard to quantify...so to me a little extra $$ is a no brainer. (I can also say that easily since I didn't pay new prices for mine.)

I've heard/read that Porsche may not be waiting as long as they'd originally planned to introduce the new Boxster and Boxster coupe. Maybe I've been reading customer's wishful thinking, but if there's a demand (which there is) I would think it would behove Porsche to get their products out in a timely manner! I, too, am very curious to see how this all pans out. I can't wait to see this new product!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:51 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

I think that's always been a "problem" with the entry level Porsches (914, 912, 944). Sometimes the 'Porsche pedigre' doesn't quite carry the extra money they're asking for, maybe more so than ever. I think they'll have to address that. Of course, being a Boxster owner, there are some things I love that are just too hard to quantify...so to me a little extra $$ is a no brainer. (I can also say that easily since I didn't pay new prices for mine.)

I've heard/read that Porsche may not be waiting as long as they'd originally planned to introduce the new Boxster and Boxster coupe. Maybe I've been reading customer's wishful thinking, but if there's a demand (which there is) I would think it would behove Porsche to get their products out in a timely manner! I, too, am very curious to see how this all pans out. I can't wait to see this new product!
Agree with everything you have said.

I don't mind paying a little more for a Porsche product.......not because of the name, but because each one always seems to be more of a complete "piece" then most, if not all of its competitors.

I also don't mind paying a bit extra for exclusivity. I know that this is a potential sore spot with some people, but if a little more money keeps
me from seeing one on each corner (aka 350Z, G35 coupe, and others)
then I'm for it......as long as there is some substance to the extra money
spent.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

....a little more money keeps me from seeing one on each corner (aka 350Z, G35 coupe, and others) then I'm for it......

OK, I just have to laugh a little...most people think Boxsters are "everywhere". I'm not sure I can argue with them either. But I don't care, there are still far fewer than most machines. And there's still more to them than just "marketing" and "image".

MAN I can't wait for the new models...
Old 07-13-2004, 04:22 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

OK, I just have to laugh a little...most people think Boxsters are "everywhere". I'm not sure I can argue with them either. But I don't care, there are still far fewer than most machines. And there's still more to them than just "marketing" and "image".

MAN I can't wait for the new models...
I knew that would probably bring a chuckle, but around my area the
350Z to Boxster ratio is about 25:1......no kidding.......I just can't believe how many of those things they crank out. Probably doesn't help that I have Nissans Credit headquarters right next to my work. I can't leave the area without seeing 10 in the first mile!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well there certainly are areas where a Boxster is rare. My brother lives in Niles, MI and he's probably one of only about three or four in that entire area. (The closest dealership is about 100 miles from them.) So they certainly don't run into another Boxster very often...until I visit!
Old 07-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Fletcher
Racer

I can't wait for the new coupe as well. I want to be driving one in 4-5years. Pricing I would have to say will be like 3-4k less for the coupe. Buuuuuttt if it looks like I think it will it will be much hotter selling than the convertible and if base h.p. goes up to like 250 for the base and 280-290 for the S we may have something........S coupe....drool drool.......
Old 07-15-2004, 09:55 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Fletcher
I can't wait for the new coupe as well. I want to be driving one in 4-5years. Pricing I would have to say will be like 3-4k less for the coupe. Buuuuuttt if it looks like I think it will it will be much hotter selling than the convertible and if base h.p. goes up to like 250 for the base and 280-290 for the S we may have something........S coupe....drool drool.......
Totally agree. I would love to see a lightly optioned S Coupe come in at around the $50-$52k range.......I'd be on board in a hurry. I also believe that the base model should have 250hp.......not the 238 that is rumored.....just too much faster hardware out there. I'd actually settle for the 270-280 range for the S if the price is kept down.

BTW......what do you think the weight savings will be in coupe form compared to the drop top? I'm guessing maybe 100-200 pounds.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:03 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW......what do you think the weight savings will be in coupe form compared to the drop top? I'm guessing maybe 100-200 pounds.
I don't know...that top right now is pretty light. Consider you're replacing fabric with metal and glass...hard to say IF there will even be a weight savings? Motors can't weigh that much, can they? I suppose when you factor in all the moving bits that will be gone....???

Will Porsche remove the rollover hoops in the coupe? I would think the roof would provide the rollover protection so there's no need for the hoops...cool as they are. Or am I wrong?
Old 07-15-2004, 10:23 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd expect rollbars/hoops to be gone in the coupe (unecessary).

It should be much lighter due to the lack of convertible apparatus. (I don't know why cabs weigh so much more than coupes, but they usually do - I guess it's the motors, etc.)
Old 07-15-2004, 10:33 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Sean
I'd expect rollbars/hoops to be gone in the coupe (unecessary).

It should be much lighter due to the lack of convertible apparatus. (I don't know why cabs weigh so much more than coupes, but they usually do - I guess it's the motors, etc.)
Most of the increased weight in a convertible is usually due to chassis stiffening.......more metal put in the body to reduce flex. Coupes normally don't need this due to the much stiffer nature of the metal roof, A-pillars, etc. I don't have a clue what extra measures Porsche put into the Boxster due to the fact it started life as a convertible, not a coupe......pretty unusual.

They could just leave everything the way it is and add the roof......making a very solid coupe chassis.......or actually remove some of the extra weight making a much lighter coupe. I hope it ends up lighter, but not with too much detriment to chassis stiffness.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the rollover hoops double as chassis stiffeners. If I recall, they're bolted well down into the engine bay and chassis. I guess that's why I wonder if they'll remove them or leave them...they seem to be so tied into the structure.

I'm sure Porsche will figure out a way to make it all lighter and stronger...
Old 07-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Will the coupe be a 2+2-ish or straight 2 seater with a roof?

Quick Reply: Future Boxster Coupe pricing?