Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 Frunk refuses to open via popper button.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 11:51 AM
stomish
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy 03 Frunk refuses to open via popper button.

Feeling stumped right now with my frunk issues. Car is an 03 with the electronic release. Button inside the car doesn’t work, i’ve tried replacing the switch inside the cabin, and have also replaced the latch/actuator assembly, still doesn’t work. Checked my grounds + wiring + connectors, and all look clean. What else could I be missing? The most frustrating part is the emergency pull inside the frunk works perfectly. For now i’m using the emergency pull wire hidden behind the tow hook, but it’s far from ideal (especially because as I was going to replace the latch/actuator assembly last night my emergency cable broke causing two additional hours of hell, luckily the new latch came with a new emergency cable). Another thing that may tie into this is I believe my car has some kind of immobilizer issue, as my window switches and door locks don't work, could this be related? From what I understand the two systems are separate, but you never know.

Has anyone done a manual frunk/trunk latch retrofit? I know the earlier cars have manual pulls for their trunk/frunk, and i'd much rather have that vs worry about this. Another idea I’ve had other than a manual retrofit is extending the wiring for the internal emergency release to the interior since it works perfectly fine, seems fairly simple to do once I find somewhere to pass the wires through + somewhere to mount the pull.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:49 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by stomish
Checked my grounds + wiring + connectors, and all look clean. What else could I be missing?
Check the FUSE. Then check and see if you're getting voltage to the actuator from the switch using a multimeter. I recommend getting a schematic that can be found in the service manual. That will help you trace the path from the switch to the actuator and then to the lock mechanism.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:59 PM
stomish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
Check the FUSE. Then check and see if you're getting voltage to the actuator from the switch using a multimeter. I recommend getting a schematic that can be found in the service manual. That will help you trace the path from the switch to the actuator and then to the lock mechanism.
Checked the fuse and it's intact, switch gets voltage too Just bought a new part today, it's the only one I haven't replaced yet so fingers crossed it does the trick

Porsche 996 997 Carrera 911 986 Emergency Hood Trunk Lock Cable Release Actuator | eBay
Old 05-21-2024, 03:20 PM
stomish
Intermediate

Did some troubleshooting last night - so everything up to the plug that connects to the latch is okay. Fingers crossed that new actuator will solve my problem!
Old 05-21-2024, 04:09 PM
mistertate
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you dig you’ll find a thread from one of the 996 guys that figured out it is a thermo resistor in the release mechanism. You might notice your problem is temperature related.
New release is supposed to fix it but I’m with you, rather have a cable
The following users liked this post:
stomish (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:44 AM
stomish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mistertate
If you dig you’ll find a thread from one of the 996 guys that figured out it is a thermo resistor in the release mechanism. You might notice your problem is temperature related.
New release is supposed to fix it but I’m with you, rather have a cable
Interesting.. I wonder which part, if it's in the latch or the actuator itself. Will do some searching for that thread! I'm just grateful at least my emergency popper still works for the time being
Old 05-23-2024, 02:15 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

I couldn't get the frunk on the 997 to open. lifting the lever didn't work. I learned to lift the lever with gentle pressure by the lever's hinge on the inside it works. Screwy, but works. use my left index finger to lift while my thumb applies the pressure. Like a freaking medical procedure to open the dang frunk.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:40 AM
stomish
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I couldn't get the frunk on the 997 to open. lifting the lever didn't work. I learned to lift the lever with gentle pressure by the lever's hinge on the inside it works. Screwy, but works. use my left index finger to lift while my thumb applies the pressure. Like a freaking medical procedure to open the dang frunk.
Still didn't work Also replaced the actuator and made no difference. About to give up on being able to use the frunk lol

Quick Reply: 03 Frunk refuses to open via popper button.