Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to drilled rotors on a non-s?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Fletcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to drilled rotors on a non-s?

Will the S rotors fit with a different caliper bracket, or do you have to swap everything?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:32 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

You can buy drilled rotors for your car. zimmerman makes them. Tweeks// mid america motorworks has them. But. I had a long discussion with many different vendors including Brembo reps and everybody suggested slotted rotors for better overall performance on the base boxster ans well as longer replacement intervals. I just bought a set of spiral cut slotted zimmerman rotors from weston motorsports. He slots them himself. good price, but more importantly Paul Weston is a jewel to work with, very knowledgable and prompt in shipping. How are you going to use you car? track?, AX or are you just going for a certain look?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:51 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

If you must have the drilled rotor "look", go for it. Other wise it's a waste of money from a performance stand point for a street car. gmund is dead on with slotted rotors.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:46 PM
cliang
Instructor

Scott,

What happened with your last set of slotted rotors? I thought you were going to make it back for the second day of the DE. What brand did you have?
Paul Weston is definitely great to work with and he knows his stuff.

Chris
Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 PM
cliang
Instructor

By the way if you're going for the look for the street, go for the drilled. If you're going to push you card hard on the track, don't bother. Stay with the stock or go to slotted. If your rotors are still good, don't waste the money.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Might I add, if you want them to last have them cryogenically treated along with the new pads.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:23 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Chris, As you may have heard I was checking my tire pressures prior to the third run of the day and spotted a cracked rotor. The crack was through to the vent and along the slotted axis. I called around and nobody was open on Sat afternoon so I just bailed entirely. They were power slots and I must say that I had been eating pads at an alarming rate ie 1 set per event on the fronts. All this over heating etc must have streesed the rotor because the otherside looked fine and the one with the crack had just this one crack. So now I will run with new zimmermans spiral slotted by paul and padgid orange pads with the balance of my padgid blacks (75%) for backup or just to get home. I plan on running the 7/1 & 7/2 event at summit point and then possibly reisenstotters event the end of august. Ditto for skip. We are definately going to the vir october event with G& W. Motorsports as well. I might need new tires by then though.

gmund
Old 06-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Scott,

Bummer about your rotors. We missed you the next day.

The G&W event is kick-***. I'm trying to talk Skip into going as well.

BTW, I have holes cast into my stock rotors and wish I could try rotors without any holes, as this is where the cracks seem to form. Unfortunately, none available for a 993.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:17 AM
cliang
Instructor

Scott,

Still hard to believe after just a few days on the track that you could crack a rotor. Did you talk to Paul about cryo treating? He told me that it almost doubles the cost and might be better to just keep buying new rotors.
I have drilled rotors only because I got a real good deal. I try to keep the holes as clean a possible to prevent heat buildup and cracking. It's a pain to keep poking the holes to clear them. Ralf Breukner just uses compressed air to clean his rotors after every run session. Not a bad idea but more junk to carry to the track.

Chris
Old 06-09-2004, 09:04 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

Chris, I think I stressed the rotor when I used a set of Perf friction at the first event of the season. after that it was all downhill. I think I am running extremely hard for a boxster in white run group just to keep up with the others which of course means higher braking loads, tire wear etc. I think I need one of those small trailers for track tires , tools etc. that way i can also have a set of rain tires that I could drive to the track on. I kind of like running in the wet especially at vir. ( death wish or something)

Mark, did you call paul westfield. he sold me zimmermans and then he spiral slotted them himself. I gotta believe that you can get solid rotors and have the same thing done. anyway see you all july 1 & 2 at the point in you are signed up.
Scott
Old 06-09-2004, 05:15 PM
cliang
Instructor

I'm gonna try for the 2nd. I can't get out of work on the 1st.
I'm dropping my tires to be swapped left and rights and rebalanced.

Make sure that when you get the Zimmerman rotors that you prime the high hat part with a primer. the high carbon stell rusts really fast and that part looks bad in just a few months.
I bought the Wurth Zinc primer and citrus cleaner to use before from Car Care Specialties www.carcareonline.com

Quick Reply: Upgrade to drilled rotors on a non-s?