Sponsored by:

Porsche Boxster S 986 2000 tail light, radio & central lock issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2023, 07:09 AM
Vittorio25
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Porsche Boxster S 986 2000 tail light, radio & central lock issues

Dear all, I am writing you, very learned friends, because I am a new owner of a Boxster 986 S and I have noted two very annoying issues which I have no idea how to resolve:
1) First one is, inexplicably on my left tail light the lower part lights don't work at all. I have removed the light, swapped bulbs, sprayed conductor liquid on the circuit and connector but with no avail, but the upper bulbs in the same light (indicator and rear gear) do work perfectly, while rear left antifog, position and stop are dead. Any idea on the reason?
2) My central lock doesn.t work at all, either from the button in the key, from in the car (which if pressed is completely dead), and either from the door lock (my car has only a door lock in the driver side, on the passenger door there is not a doorlock), so basically I can never close the car, as the driver side can be locked mechanically with the key, but it has no effect on the passenger side. The alarm thou works, as if I open the car from the passenger door which I cant close the starts screaming. Both the windows go down and up correctly when the handle in pulled and released on both sides. I suspect its the alarm module under the driver side, as when I bought the car seat was pretty wet. Could it be the fuse in the alarm module under the seat?
2) My radio Becker CR 22 with additional 6 cds charger in the boot has zero reception of AM/FM/LM stations, totally zero, no bad reception, whuile the CDs work perfeclty. I have done all the raccomended procedures with the antenna plifier on the right pillar but to no avail, I have also taken out the radio and attached an external DIN antenna, but with zero reception as well. Oddly the radio can scan the stations, names appear on the display but with no music or voice coming out, only noise. Could it be something broken in the radio?
Your advice is much sought and I am already grateful to all those who already took the time to read my complaint Ciao from Italy to you all, friends!
Old 12-01-2023, 09:40 AM
Robb M.
IB Staff

Received 699 Likes on 486 Posts

bump as i've just moved this from the new member welcome section.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:04 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Vittorio25
Dear all, I am writing you, very learned friends, because I am a new owner of a Boxter 986 S and I have noted two very annoying issues which I have no idea how to resolve:
1) First one is, inexplicably on my left tail light the lower part lights don't work at all. I have removed the light, swapped bulbs, sprayed conductor liquid on the circuit and connector but with no avail, but the upper bulbs in the same light (indicator and rear gear) do work perfectly, while rear left antifog, position and stop are dead. Any idea on the reason?
2) My central lock doesn.t work at all, either from the button in the key, from in the car (which if pressed is completely dead), and either from the door lock (my car has only a door lock in the driver side, on the passenger door there is not a doorlock), so basically I can never close the car, as the driver side can be locked mechanically with the key, but it has no effect on the passenger side. The alarm thou works, as if I open the car from the passenger door which I cant close the starts screaming. Both the windows go down and up correctly when the handle in pulled and released on both sides. I suspect its the alarm module under the driver side, as when I bought the car seat was pretty wet. Could it be the fuse in the alarm module under the seat?
2) My radio Becker CR 22 with additional 6 cds charger in the boot has zero reception of AM/FM/LM stations, totally zero, no bad reception, whuile the CDs work perfeclty. I have done all the raccomended procedures with the antenna plifier on the right pillar but to no avail, I have also taken out the radio and attached an external DIN antenna, but with zero reception as well. Oddly the radio can scan the stations, names appear on the display but with no music or voice coming out, only noise. Could it be something broken in the radio?
Your advice is much sought and I am already grateful to all those who already took the time to read my complaint Ciao from Italy to you all, friends!
Check your front side marker lights. Are both illuminated? Be certain they are... then check rear lights, again.

Old 12-01-2023, 10:40 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

I would check the module under the driver's seat, especially if the seat was wet. This module controls all sorts of things and if it has gotten wet much wierdness can occur, this according to posts that I have read. There is a company that can fix it if you find that it is damaged.
Old 12-01-2023, 02:54 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

For the tails lights, do you have a multi-meter? you could remove the lights and check for power and ground on the wiring to to make sure everything it good the light. On the radio I have the 220 model I think (replacing) and it totally crazy. Sometime it lights up sometimes not at all, then lights up with no display, does not play anything but I can sometime hear something almost un audible. My bet is it just dying and you need to replace it.

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster S 986 2000 tail light, radio & central lock issues