Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 11:47 AM
Arin@APR
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 483 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)

What's the general consensus on this forum and platform when it comes to tuning? Have you tuned your engine and/or transmission? If you did, why did you do it, and if you didn't, what's holding you back?

We've been tuning Porsches for over 20 years at APR. You can see a list of Porsche Models we tune here. It's not all of them, but a good chunk of models. The software we have is also on sale until the end of October right now.

When it comes to some of the other brands we tune, some of the more high end models, like the Audi RS6 and the Audi RS3 are heavily tuned. On the RS3 front it's hard to find one that isn't tuned. We see the same on some Porsche models, but on others it seems some are hesitant.

So, what's your take on tuning?

GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

Old 09-15-2023, 11:23 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 308 Posts

For me personally, it depends on the intended use of the car and the expected benefits. With forced induction models, the gains can be quite healthy and worth the effort and expense, but on some of the naturally aspirated models I don't view tunes quite the same way (with rare exceptions).

Therefore, all of my forced induction equipped cars are tuned, and none of my naturally aspirated ones are. That's just how I typically roll, but I'll admit that there are some models that benefit way more than others even in naturally aspirated form.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:25 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Well, because the stock tune suits me just fine.

It is interesting that you are asking the question in the 986 area here, yet I don’t see any 986 products (in an admittedly cursory review) at the link you provided.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:27 PM
xoo00oox
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes! I have a tuned ECM- But- my Boxster has a turbo engine. If it still had the stock engine, I would not bother as I have not seen much improvement with tunes on normally aspirated engines.
Old 09-20-2023, 12:12 AM
Hasdrubal
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree on the turbo vs NA issue, my daily is a Civic Si. A few hundred dollars on a Ktuner and an off the shelf remap (from a respected tuner in that community, not like some guy on ebay level) brought more than 50hp with no other changes. I don't like the sound of any of the aftermarket exhausts, but a larger intercooler may by the next thing to get for that car. The best intercooler on the market with larger piping to and from the engine is under $1k, and doesn't require a remap. Compare that to Fabspeed approaching half the market value of my base 986, and it just doesn't seem worth it.

If there were an easy and simple way to get decent power gains without spending more than about $2k, I probably would tune it. I know there are people who have put intake plenums and throttle bodies and airboxes on from different models and gotten good results, but it didn't seem like there was a consensus on what combination was best, and I don't recall seeing any dyno results. And then again, I might not. There's probably 20-30hp in it by changing the whole intake system and paying for a remap, the good exhaust isn't worth the money to me and the bad ones on ebay are said to sound bad.

The best tuning package to interest me for a 986 would be a mount/exhaust/wiring harness kit to swap a 1.8t in. If my stock engine ever goes, that's the road I'm choosing- far cheaper and far more potential for power. The big downside is losing the engine sound, but for 300+hp and significant weight loss I won't have to think very hard. Who knows, by the time my kids get a little older and less time consuming, I might become a good enough welder to do it anyway.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:04 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tcora
Well, because the stock tune suits me just fine.

It is interesting that you are asking the question in the 986 area here, yet I don’t see any 986 products (in an admittedly cursory review) at the link you provided.
They have some valve stem caps and license plate frames......seriously horrible web site that even when you select 986 Boxster the page comes up with ALL of there ECU tunes and you have to select your car again to find out they have NOTHING for a 986 Boxster.

I've got an '02 S that has and IPD plenum with 74mm throttle body as well as Maxspeed headers, mid pipes and muffler. Runs great but ECU is sensing much more air than it's supposed to have so it is THROWING gas into the system. Really needs a 996 map because that is essentially what this engine is with 74mm tb and bigger headers/better exhaust. I tried to find an indie shop to flash a 996 tune but none willing to do it.

After much research I've come down to two options:
1.) Buy a PIWIS III clone.
2.) Buy a tune from FVD Brombacher
Both are about the same price.

Would love input
Old 09-28-2023, 11:00 PM
ER17
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Spark, see if there's a Porsche race shop in your area with the PIWIS. I found one who pushed mine with similar mods to the ROW 996 tune (which also deletes the air pump) for $100.
The following users liked this post:
spark1 (09-29-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 12:35 AM
mistertate
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

ARP burble tune?
Old 09-29-2023, 04:28 PM
spark1
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mistertate
ARP burble tune?
Ha! had to look that one up. Mine has enough burble with the maxspeed exhaust and the popcorn sound would make me hungry

Quick Reply: Discussion: Have you tuned your Porsche (Why or Why Not?)