Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get to the battery when dead?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 02:45 AM
fst951
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation How to get to the battery when dead?

Hi guys. This is a stupid question I am sure, but I just don't know about the best way to solve this problem. I am not very familiar with Boxters and need your expertise.

I have a freind that has had a Boxter for about a year and a half and during that time it spent the last year in the garage and has a completely dead battery. How can you get into the car and get the battery out when it is completely dead? Do the door locks still have a mechanical system? I assume that the batter is located in the front of the car under the carpet like on the 911, 964 and 993 series.

I would appreciate any help. I thought about using a small power supply and placing power to the starter wire that goes to the batter in order to get power, but any advice would be appreciated. I can't have the car towed as it is in a small garage in gear with the ebrake on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 03:14 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. First, I would recommend searching the archives of PPBB.com because I'm sure the problem's been addressed many times.

I had this happen a while back (like 2-3 years). Seems like I got one of those cheap cigarette lighter battery chargers - it wasn't enough juice to start the car, but was enough to get the front trunk open.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-25-2004, 03:30 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

What year is it?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:09 AM
fst951
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

The car is a 1998.

I also tried searching, but had not luck.

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it have the hot jump tab on the fuse panel. If so a simple jump would give you the juice you need.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

I think you can open the door with the key in the door handle even with a dead battery. Then you need to see if the trunk levers are locked down - which happens when the alarm is on and the battery dies.

If you cannot open the door then there is the emergency release cable for the front trunk, where the battery is. It is behind the plastic fender liner on the passenger side. You pull back the fender liner then look for it under the headlight. If you are lucky and can find the cable then you pull on it and the front trunk will open.

1998 does not have the red tab in the fuse box. That started in 2001.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 AM
bdevil
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first post and actually something I know from experience -

Happened to me on my '99 - there is a cable on the drivers side over the front tire under the fender. It's about a 1/4 " cable, pretty substantial and hard to miss. Look for that, and maybe using some pliers give it a good tug - the latch on the front trunk will pop and let you get to the battery.

I don't have pics to post, but it should work for you. Good Luck!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '03 S and left the radar on for a week. The battery was so dead it would not even begin to unlatch the hood by the instructions.

I took a cigarette lighter adapter and connected it to my 993 and the hood popped instantly. Then I just charged it overnight. Just make sure you get the leads right on the cigarette lighter adapter...

Quick Reply: How to get to the battery when dead?