Sponsored by:

High Mileage 2000 Boxter S Value

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Jason F
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage 2000 Boxter S Value

Tonight, I will be looking at a 2000 Boxter S, silver with black leather interior, and would like any useful input you may have regarding the value of this car.

It is supposetly in excellent condition, and listed in the low $20's. It has 100,000+ miles. Exatly how many I will find out. I am assuming no accidents, and everything works well.

Is $23-$24K a good price for such a car, assuming it is in excellent condition.

Are there any problems that might be occuring soon due to its high mileage?

I greatly appreciate any input you may have about such a purchase, and whether or not I should steer clear of a Boxter S with this many miles.

Thanks in advance,

Jason F
1977 911s 3.2
Old 05-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Jason F
Instructor

I just realized, Boxster is the correct spelling. I feel like a dope.

I was not able to look at the car in question as anticipated, but plan to on Thurscay 5/20.

Anyway, any input is appreciated on the value of a 105K mile 2000 Boxster S in supposedly "Excellent" condition.

Thanks again,

Jason F
1977 911s 3.2
Old 05-20-2004, 01:41 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

You should be able to find one with 30,000 miles (or less) that shouldn't set you back more than 30k (that's a rough estimate, not precise market information). Porsche's with high milage are always worth substantially less than lower milage cars. With any car things wear out over time. I would think it would be a mistake to buy a car with that many miles to save a few bucks now, which you will undoubtedly more than give back in service and repairs and in resale later. Just not worth it in my book.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the highest mileage S I've heard of... I don't know of any specific worries about such a high mileage example, but OTOH there are plenty of low mileage S models out there. I agree with Jim...unless you're getting a STEAL, you might as well shop around a bit more.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:35 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 413 Posts

Jason, you can have my 2002 Boxster with 22,500 on it for a mere $36,000. It's for sale over in the classified section...
Old 05-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Jason F
Instructor

Thanks for your input folks. If I actually fit in the car, I would probably be interested, especially at an asking price of $23,950 for an S. It was in nice shape, but once I sat in the car, I completely detached emotionally from it, as there is no way I could drive that car on a daily basis (I'm 5'19). Both the headroom and leg room were completely inadequate. I thought it would be tight, but it was WAY too small inside.

It is silver with black leather interior and black top. Multi spoke wheels, red brakes, etc... very nice. I think it is still listed on Autotrader Online in the Seattle area if anyone is interested. It will make someone a happy owner I am sure.

One small car that does fit me is the Audi TT, but the thing is a beast at 3,300+ lbs, and another 100lbs for the roadster. It is quite cavernous inside! Of course, I could always get another 911... and the search goes on!

Regards,

Jason F
1977 911s 3.2
Old 05-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason, you might consider adding eth GT3 console delete package to the Boxster. It eliminates the front center console, greatly improving lateral legroom. I'm 6'2" and fit fine.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:57 AM
Jason F
Instructor

That GT3 console delete might help with the legroom, but my head was firmly implanted against the top with the seat in the down, back, and tilted position. I would need 3" more headroom for it to work. I suppose if I had to have a Boxster, I would make it work, but the idea of chopping up an otherwise perfectly good car just so it fits me does not appeal to me, at least for my daily driver.

My 1977 911s track car has been heavily modified, and fits me with a helmet on only because the seat is essentially affixed directly to the floor, and the entire roof was removed nearly gutter to gutter, and a carbon fiber panel from GT racing installed.

Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking when I thought I would fit in a Boxster. I supppose I was completely blinded by the thought of driving a Boxster S every day for the next 4 years. I simply ignored the fact that the Boxster would be like most other small convertibles, just too small for me.

Thanks again for all your input.

Jason F
1977 911s 3.2
2000 Maxima (for a while longer)
Old 05-21-2004, 02:50 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Jason,

I am guessing that the S had power seats. Compared with the manual seats, headroom is limited by a few inches.

I would stay away from a 100k 986S for $20k. Unlike the air-cooled motors of the past, there are far too many things that can go wrong.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm 5'11 and I have more than enough room. I don't even have the seats back all the way and I have plenty of headroom.

The comment someone made about electric seats may be the reason. If you still like the Boxster, check one out that has non electric seats. (My seats are sport seats and the front to back adjustment is done manually. The tilt is done electrically.)

Charlie
Old 05-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Dwayne Williams
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm 6'1" about 230 and I have the sports seats like Charlie C. The car is snug but not overly tight. It really feels like you put the car on when you drive it - just seems to fit really well. I get some wind rush over the top of the windshield with the top down but nothing severe enough to detract from the joy of driving. If you can find one with the manual seats, drive it and see how it feels.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:00 PM
Jason F
Instructor

I am 6'7 as previously stated (I said 5'19 trying to be funny). The S I tried on had non power seats, and lacked headroom for me.

I would definately need to be 3 -4 inches lower in the car to be comfortable, and not have my head above the windshield. I don't believe this can be done without cutting the floor and lowering the seat mounting point, can it?

Jason f
1977 911s 3.2
Old 05-21-2004, 11:47 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally posted by Jason F
I would definately need to be 3 -4 inches lower in the car to be comfortable, and not have my head above the windshield. I don't believe this can be done without cutting the floor and lowering the seat mounting point, can it?
I think the only way to get an extra 3-4 inches is to install GT3 seats (or other racing seats) with the fixed BK mounts. A friend of mine did this (he's 6'2") when he tracked his 986S in order to pass the "broomstick test".
Old 05-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by Pesky 914
I think the only way to get an extra 3-4 inches is to install GT3 seats (or other racing seats) with the fixed BK mounts. A friend of mine did this (he's 6'2") when he tracked his 986S in order to pass the "broomstick test".
I don't know if BK offered this when he had his 986S, but they have a special mount that is a tiny bit higher than the fixed mounts but they hook up to the sliders. It should work for anybody who's shorter than about 6'4".

The fixed BK mounts are a nuiscance if you have multiple drivers and are a huge PITA to install/remove. That being said, if you are too tall, you don't have many better options.

BTW: I LOVE the GT3 center console delete option. It gives a real nice look to the interior of the car.

Quick Reply: High Mileage 2000 Boxter S Value