Sponsored by:

Boxster performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 12:59 PM
sheldreth
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Boxster performance?

I have a 2000 Boxster, and was wondering of anyone knows of a good way to improve the performance a bit. I've put a K&N air filter on it, and a Boxster S muffler so far.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2004, 04:03 PM
Baron009
Pro

Although somewhat costly, I'd assume that headwork and porting would do a reasonable amount. Also you could look for a chip. I'm not sure how much that would give, or where you can find a Boxster chip.

I would go in this order.
-hi clow cat (relatively cheap)
-chip
-aforementioned headwork

You probably would get maybe 25hp or so (just a guess) with all those modifications.

The only other stuff I can think of is boring out the block, and doing wild stuff with your camshaft and valves.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:57 PM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

Super Charger, someone on here does it. I have a vid of a Supercharged boxster. Its crazy fast.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:28 PM
ettsn
Pro

No, no. The S exhaust, while cool looking does zero for horsepower. Same with all the aftermarket exhausts. That intake made it louder, but no faster. Baron's advice might be good on a 944, but not for a Boxster. The head flows very well from the factory. One place where gains can be made are with the exhaust manifolds. A switch to headers (like the GHL, for example) will provide some quality gains (especially on the 3.2, but also on the 2.7). Otherwise, they're pretty optimized out of the gate.

-Paul
Old 05-18-2004, 01:48 AM
Mik
Track Day

I'd disagree with you ettsn.
First off the EVO mass air intake makes a substantial difference in performance. With no other modifications I have seen (on average) +6hp gains on a Boxster S (Dyno proven on my own). With cooler weather the power goes up.

The Boxster S exhaust will provide no additional bonus over the stock boxster exhaust. As a matter of fact there are few after market exhausts that actually do provide a "real world" power gain. Do not believe everything you read in magazines! The most hp you can expect from a muffler change is about 2-3hp, dependent on the manufacturer, which is really negligible. As an example RUF spent considerable amount of time researching their exhaust setup for the 3400S and final outcome was that very little power could be gained, however the RUF exhaust sounds 10 times better than anything to come out of Porsche. Some muffler designs enable more hp and Tq at lower rpm (which add to a bit more responsive feel) however max hp goes down. A friend of mine noticed a 10hp loss after refitting with after market components. I would recommend focusing on weight savings, with some exhaust setups you could save up to 30kg. As for chips (actually nowadays its remapping the ECU), two companies come highly recommended, GIAC and Power Chip. I recently had my Boxster S fitted with a reprogrammed Power Chip Gold 93 program, and I guarantee that there is a huge difference in how the car behaves. Definitely feels more powerful and more responsive than a 993 Carrera (284hp). I have the Dyno tests to back it up too.

Also be careful about replacing the cats and the headers, some require the O2 sensors to be relocated, which could cause problems.

Moral of my story is. On average with the right components Air/ECU/exhaust you stand to gain 20-30hp - I think, I'm not familiar with the standard. Done right you could loose some weight which will add to the driving pleasure.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:00 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

If you want some serious performance, and don't mind replacing your factory warranty with a 2-year warranty from a tuner, you can go with what I'm doing - 400+hp from a base engine (non-S). I'm working with a tuner on a bi-turbo system (sequential, to provide power in low rpm's as well), with a modified cooling system and significant upgrades to the engine to accomodate the extra power and forced induction. I'm also getting a turbo-look or GT3 bumper and some wider wheels, along with stronger, stiffer suspension, but that's optional stuff. All in all, the bi-turbo conversion from a base Boxster should run about 15k - 17k - they don't have the price formally yet because mine is the project Boxster, and after mine, the price can be further determined.

I'll be posting updates on the site I created - www.boxsterturbo.com - there's nothing really there yet, as we haven't started, but within a month it will begin. Should be fun!

I'm enjoying my '01S now, but long for a car with the same balance and fun of the Boxster only with a ton of power to go with it. I'm buying a '99 or '00 base for the project, keeping the S until the Boxster Turbo (or TurBoxster as someone coined it at PPBB) is finished.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:01 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

But what about a 270 plus Boxster S? I'm not getting one till Porsche makes a Boxster S that has more horses than my Acura Type S...

Seriously, does anyone know of any engine rumors of more horses for the Boxster S, perhaps on the newer model?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How about just stuffing a 996 motor in it?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:21 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know if Acura can make a 270 horse 3.2 liter naturally asperated engine than so can Porsche, just why are they holding back? Are they that worried that the Boxster will cut into 911 sales?
Old 05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
ettsn
Pro

Originally posted by Mik
I'd disagree with you ettsn.
First off the EVO mass air intake makes a substantial difference in performance...

The Boxster S exhaust will provide no additional bonus over the stock boxster exhaust...
You didn't disagree with me. I said that intake. He's got a K&N, not the EVO cold air intake. I also said he got nothing from the S exhaust, nor should he expect to find much from any aftermarket exhaust.

Mik, we agreed not disagreed!

-Paul
Old 05-18-2004, 12:02 PM
sheldreth
2nd Gear

Mik & Esstn,

Thanks to both of your for your input. Can you tell me where I might find an EVO cold air intake and how hard it is to put in. Also, thanks for the recommendation for a GIAC chip, I found a quote for $995 for one of those.

Thanks, Scott
Old 05-18-2004, 12:33 PM
ettsn
Pro

Not sure you'll get $995 worth of improvement out of a chip, Scott. Frankly, the best thing you can do is to attend DE events, autocross and fun rallies to improve the driver. The Boxster is an amazingly capable car out of the box, and you might be surprised at how much more you can get out of it.

-Paul
Old 05-18-2004, 01:48 PM
doclaw64
Intermediate

chipping and headers and intake are the ways I have heard to get more power. You have to do all three to get the power. The headers and intake are needed to get full advantage of the new chip. Of course going to the track/de/autox is a good way to show you have a lot to learn and help you drive better.
Old 05-18-2004, 02:33 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by schvetkaaks
If you want some serious performance, and don't mind replacing your factory warranty with a 2-year warranty from a tuner, you can go with what I'm doing - 400+hp from a base engine (non-S). I'm working with a tuner on a bi-turbo system (sequential, to provide power in low rpm's as well), with a modified cooling system and significant upgrades to the engine to accomodate the extra power and forced induction. I'm also getting a turbo-look or GT3 bumper and some wider wheels, along with stronger, stiffer suspension, but that's optional stuff. All in all, the bi-turbo conversion from a base Boxster should run about 15k - 17k - they don't have the price formally yet because mine is the project Boxster, and after mine, the price can be further determined.

I'll be posting updates on the site I created - www.boxsterturbo.com - there's nothing really there yet, as we haven't started, but within a month it will begin. Should be fun!

I'm enjoying my '01S now, but long for a car with the same balance and fun of the Boxster only with a ton of power to go with it. I'm buying a '99 or '00 base for the project, keeping the S until the Boxster Turbo (or TurBoxster as someone coined it at PPBB) is finished.
Interesting stuff,I guy I know has an "s" with the turbo mod you describe,it produces 450 bhp and is really awsomely fast.The car is currently for sale at £25,000

Paul
Old 05-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the spirit of improving "performance" you might focus on the suspension. Unlike the assorted power mods (which people will debate back and forth), the benefits of suspension improvements are clear.

It seems the best way to get major power gains is to do a 3.4L transplant. The 3.6L should be even better, but it's said those are a more difficult job.

If you want to build the ultimate Boxster, stuff this 3.6L 996 Turbo engine into your car. I don't know the logistics, but that would be a wild ride!

996TT engine on eBay

Quick Reply: Boxster performance?