Sponsored by:

Car stalls/studders when stepping on the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 10:59 PM
skhunt42
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stalls/studders when stepping on the clutch

The car was having starting/studdering issues so I replaced the crankshaft position sensor, new battery, ims, air oil separator, dme relay, and misc hoses with all OEM parts. The car has been smoke tested and absolutely no vacuum leaks. The car idles great (~800 rpm) when it starts but the minute I step on the clutch (in neutral) it'll studder. The car can be driven but runs completely bad and wants to almost stall out. There are also no codes present.

I reused the flywheel and clutch so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it. Any ideas what it could be? I searched for the most common issues and it seems like I knocked most of them out.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:40 AM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Clairification

To be clear, trans shifter is in the neutral position and you push in the clutch and it shudders. Is the shifter still in the neutral position or does it only shudder when you move the shifter into gear with the clutch still in?
Old 01-27-2023, 10:02 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Is there any noise when this happens. The only thing that I can imagine is a problem with the pressure plate of throw-out bearing, seized or jammed on the transmission shaft. If this was the case I would think there would be noticeable noises.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:56 AM
skhunt42
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dllrd23
To be clear, trans shifter is in the neutral position and you push in the clutch and it shudders. Is the shifter still in the neutral position or does it only shudder when you move the shifter into gear with the clutch still in?
The car is in neutral and the car shudders/idle drops when I press the clutch in.

Originally Posted by elgy
Is there any noise when this happens. The only thing that I can imagine is a problem with the pressure plate of throw-out bearing, seized or jammed on the transmission shaft. If this was the case I would think there would be noticeable noises.
I don’t hear any loud dragging noises when the clutch is pressed in. I’ll try to start it up and listen again.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:36 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by skhunt42
The car is in neutral and the car shudders/idle drops when I press the clutch in.
I don’t hear any loud dragging noises when the clutch is pressed in. I’ll try to start it up and listen again.
Remember, the clutch is still engaged on the flywheel even though it's in neutral. There is no heavy load, but the clutch is engaged.

Quick Reply: Car stalls/studders when stepping on the clutch