Sponsored by:

The Great 986 Speculation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 05:38 PM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts
Default The Great 986 Speculation Thread

As someone who has specialized in arbitraging collector grade Porsche's / having spent the largest portion of my professional career with the brand, I figured this was a conversation worth having as most of the Naturally Aspirated /Flat 6/ Manual Porsche cars are beginning to command a premium, despite having been trashed on and overlooked throughout some of their formative years. The 986 Boxster to me has always been a pretty great case study when it comes to hype buyers and bandwagons buyers, given the fact that it had such a hard lived reputation in its earlier years as a "poor mans Porsche" or a "hairdresser's car". Personally, I always covet the 986 for personal reasons, but seeing collectors and hype buyers rush to buy these cars simply based on speculation, or the notion that they need to add one to the collection before they get more expensive, makes me laugh. These are some the same people that spent the past 20 years ripping on the car, and the demographic of buyer who was driving it. I see people overspending on cars with tacky options and color combos simply due to the fact that there is some sort of underlying belief of its potential value down the line, so the question should be asked. Do you guys actually see your cars being valuable down the line? Are you treating it as an investment or using it as a tool? Are you willing to sell it to move on to something else, without regretting the sale, knowing it might be worth a few pennies more? Or are you simply understanding of the fact that this is one of the best cars that Porsche has made and were eager to adopt it as an ultimate bang for the buck car, which is now inching closer into the spotlight for this very reason? I'll start by noting that my 3.8L 550 Spyder Edition car, with the 996 GT3 seats and suspension is as every bit as engaging as my 981 GT4 ever was, for a fraction of the cost. Hard to replicate the experience, but some are unwilling to look beyond the newest, and latest. Curious to hear other's candid thoughts, especially any new owners who were willing to overpay for a car they never previously showed an interest in.

In terms of speculation, here are a few of my most basic thoughts:
  • 1997 Stuttgart built cars will be most desirable, especially if stock with lower mileage
  • 550 Spyder Edition will be among the most desirable configurations if stock and low mileage
  • Aside from these factors, Boxster/S will remain relatively affordable moving forward due to large production numbers

Last edited by RENN GTS; 12-26-2022 at 05:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RENN GTS:
Al Allen (01-11-2023), Heinzr57 (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:00 PM
Heinzr57
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

“Poor Man’s Porsche” is what I said from day one.This is for two reasons-1 I’ve loved the 911 since I was 2 or 3 years old and the 986 looked different….kinda like the red headed step child.And 2 I was ignorant and didn’t want to learn what the new lineup had to offer.Shame on me.
I recently purchased my first Porsche and it is a 986 Base.Sure it’s not an air cooled but I love this thing so far.Comfortable,solid,good looks,quick.I’m not living at the track so I don’t need 0-60 under 3 seconds…would be nice😂
Yes the car itself is cheaper than the 911’s,but maintenance/service costs are the same.Not so good for somebody that has to take it to the shop for every item that pops up.
Final thought,glad I couldn’t afford a 911 at the moment because I probably never would have changed my mind about the Boxster.
Anyways,that’s my 2cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by Heinzr57:
Bush Pilot (01-05-2023), RENN GTS (12-27-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:43 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
Curious to hear other's candid thoughts, especially any new owners who were willing to overpay for a car they never previously showed an interest in.

The above line kinda sums me up. I’ve had the Boxster concept poster up on the garage wall, since day 1. Never until recently, did I consider adding one into the mix. Been a 911 guy since I was in elementary school, childhood friends have more memories of me talking Porsche’s than I remember. It only took a couple of fingers on one hand to number the 911’s in Central New York growing up in the late 60’s & 70’s.

Got the Boxster bug in the summer of 2021, and started a half hearted search. Only one color combo would be considered…Arctic Silver, with Boxster Red guts. Couldn’t get the one local owner to part with his last year, every year he considered letting it go…then he would drive it, and reconsider.

The search continued to be narrowed, above mentioned color combo…but low miles, minimal number of owners, etc. We all know that drill.

In late July, an 03 S popped up in my search. Heavily optioned, Stuttgart built, 41k miles, 3 owner, full records from 21k…and a recent $7k service for IMS and all the “while your in there” bits. Arctic Silver with full leather Boxster Red “special” leather, body colored roll hoop’s, center console, etc. Only missing the aluminum e-brake, and hard back sport seats…to be a perfect, as I would have ordered her new version.

Yes I overpaid, possibly a few thousand dollar’s …but I was shopping for a 20 year old car. That and…I only have to justify it to myself.

A significant motivator for the purchase also was, my 21 year old daughter. She indeed share’s my love of the brand, but has trouble driving the 993, and she wouldn’t go for her usual drive in the Cayenne GTS 6MT either. The Boxster would be a very easy, and enjoyable thing for her to just disappear in.

And that plan worked perfectly!

She’s away at an out of State private college, in Grad school..so she has limited time at home. But weather permitting, when she is here..
she’s out in “Ginger”

Had a custom 3 piece wheelset built, Tramont Cup’s, and the suspension is next with Koni yellow’s and H&R lowering springs. Some kind of exhaust is next up…but that’s likely it.

Just a few thousand miles on it this season, but they have been enlightening. I previously hadn’t thought myself to be a convertible guy, but I guess I have been converted.

The new wheelset, 18x8.5 et45 fronts, and 18x10 et 40 rear’s, have really helped the car’s handling. I trust that the new dampers, and lowering springs will help immensely also.

She is a looker, that Ginger….and a keeper.

The following 4 users liked this post by Magdaddy:
Al Allen (12-30-2022), RENN GTS (12-27-2022), TexSquirrel (12-30-2022), Viva.scott.vegas (02-11-2023)
Old 12-26-2022, 10:07 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy;[url=tel:18536817
18536817[/url]]The above line kinda sums me up. I’ve had the Boxster concept poster up on the garage wall, since day 1. Never until recently, did I consider adding one into the mix. Been a 911 guy since I was in elementary school, childhood friends have more memories of me talking Porsche’s than I remember. It only took a couple of fingers on one hand to number the 911’s in Central New York growing up in the late 60’s & 70’s.

Got the Boxster bug in the summer of 2021, and started a half hearted search. Only one color combo would be considered…Arctic Silver, with Boxster Red guts. Couldn’t get the one local owner to part with his last year, every year he considered letting it go…then he would drive it, and reconsider.

The search continued to be narrowed, above mentioned color combo…but low miles, minimal number of owners, etc. We all know that drill.

In late July, an 03 S popped up in my search. Heavily optioned, Stuttgart built, 41k miles, 3 owner, full records from 21k…and a recent $7k service for IMS and all the “while your in there” bits. Arctic Silver with full leather Boxster Red “special” leather, body colored roll hoop’s, center console, etc. Only missing the aluminum e-brake, and hard back sport seats…to be a perfect, as I would have ordered her new version.

Yes I overpaid, possibly a few thousand dollar’s …but I was shopping for a 20 year old car. That and…I only have to justify it to myself.

A significant motivator for the purchase also was, my 21 year old daughter. She indeed share’s my love of the brand, but has trouble driving the 993, and she wouldn’t go for her usual drive in the Cayenne GTS 6MT either. The Boxster would be a very easy, and enjoyable thing for her to just disappear in.

She’s away at an out of State private college, in Grad school..so she has limited time at home. But weather permitting, when she is here..
she’s out in “Ginger”

Had a custom 3 piece wheelset built, Tramont Cup’s, and the suspension is next with Koni yellow’s and H&R lowering springs. Some kind of exhaust is next up…but that’s likely it.

Just a few thousand miles on it this season, but they have been enlightening. I previously hadn’t thought myself to be a convertible guy, but I guess I have been converted.

The new wheelset, 18x8.5 et45 fronts, and 18x10 et 40 rear’s, have really helped the car’s handling. I trust that the new dampers, and lowering springs will help immensely also.

Beautiful car!

I just purchased a low mileage one that I probably overpaid for too but it is way cheaper than the 964 and the 997 GTS and about any other 911 save for the 996’s.

I don’t think any of these cars are good investments except for the most rare and high end of the species (read limited supply and highly desired 911’s)… ones that you wouldn’t want to drive like you stole them, if drive them at all.

Plenty of other good investments out there but these are an investment in fun and provide nice diversions.

​​​​​​​When (not if) the market crashes, the compression on the purchase price will be a lot less than the more expensive cars … 25% isn’t too bad.

I had a 987 Boxster Spyder PDK for a while … great car but not too practical and a 981 Boxster S 6 speed … that was a great car. Time to try out the 986.

These 986’s at 15 to 30 k are great buys and excellent driving cars. More and more of the PCA Chicago crew are getting them.

The plan is to keep mine as a driver that my wife can learn to drive stick shift in and hopefully get the bug. Also my boys can drive it on Rallyes and I won’t be too worried about it getting damaged.

986’s fit this saying well … “better to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow”.

Magdaddy, Quick question:

Do you have side views to see the tire edge to the fender? I’ve been considering offsets and I’d love to see that angle.

Thanks and enjoy in good health!

The following 2 users liked this post by eddieb4:
Al Allen (12-30-2022), Heinzr57 (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 12:44 AM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
The above line kinda sums me up. I’ve had the Boxster concept poster up on the garage wall, since day 1. Never until recently, did I consider adding one into the mix. Been a 911 guy since I was in elementary school, childhood friends have more memories of me talking Porsche’s than I remember. It only took a couple of fingers on one hand to number the 911’s in Central New York growing up in the late 60’s & 70’s.

she’s out in “Ginger”

Beautiful car. This was originally the color combo that I was after too, but found my GT Silver / Cocoa 6 Speed car and had to have it. I have similar wheels as well, except mine are Kinesis Supercup which need to be rebuilt, but I think im going to skip on that and just get back to the OEM look.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:46 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Only picture at the moment, “somewhat” showing current fitment. Suspension changes should drop it a little more than an inch, and ideally perfect to my eye.
The following 2 users liked this post by Magdaddy:
Al Allen (12-30-2022), TexSquirrel (12-30-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 01:37 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy;[url=tel:18537334
18537334[/url]]Only picture at the moment, “somewhat” showing current fitment. Suspension changes should drop it a little more than an inch, and ideally perfect to my eye.
looks perfect to me too. Thanks for sharing
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (12-30-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 03:26 PM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Only picture at the moment, “somewhat” showing current fitment. Suspension changes should drop it a little more than an inch, and ideally perfect to my eye.

Perfect fitment. If you're considering coilers I would highly recommend the KW V3 setup I'm currently running.
Al Allen (12-30-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 04:26 PM
jaustin
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I've been looking for a 97 for awhile now but nothing ever seems to come up nice enough for sensible money. So the Miata keeps that garage space warm.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:31 PM
RENN GTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaustin
I've been looking for a 97 for awhile now but nothing ever seems to come up nice enough for sensible money. So the Miata keeps that garage space warm.
I was originally looking for a 97 as well. They are hard to find in decent condition. I just sold the seats out of my car to another rennlister and am back to my heated/power Sportback seats so I'll be focussing on a few cosmetic mods and possibly a new set of OEM wheels to freshen the car up a bit. While I dont see my car really being as collectible as bone stock 550 Edition down the line, maintaining an OEM+ aesthetic should be a bit more suitable.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:47 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
Perfect fitment. If you're considering coilers I would highly recommend the KW V3 setup I'm currently running.
Koni yellow’s and H&R lowering springs already in hand. Couldn’t justify the expense for height adjustable coil overs.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:34 PM
jtt99
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

This is an interesting thread and thanks Renn GTS for starting it. Let me say I am a true 911 guy and have been fortunate to have owned a number of nice ones and still have a 964 and 996tt in the stable. I fell in love with the thought of a Boxster when they showed the concept at the Detroit Auto Show. I knew I had to somehow get one and was one the crazies who went to my dealer and put $500 down two years before they confirmed production. When they said it was a go I was really excited and when the time got near in '96 my wife and I attended the PCA Treffin in Germany and was there the day the early European debut took place. We toured the plant and the cars were coming down the line very slowly so they would get them right. They had a large bell they would ring every time one was completed. We still hadn't settled on what color but I was leaning toward silver with the red gut. The day after announcement we were in the mall shopping area that is in the center of Stuttgart and Porsche had a car on display in that color combo. A sweet elderly lady walked up to the car and began exclaiming to everyone near buy to come look at the new Porsche. That sealed the deal for me on the color combo. While at Treffin I had the good fortune to meet a VP of Marking and when I told him I would shortly be ordering my car he gave me his business card and told to let him know if he could ever be of assistance. My order was submitted in January '97 and the wait began. They informed me my car would be built in late March. I didn't put a lot of options on my car but one thing caught my eye that was only a couple of hundred $ was leather trimmed floor mats so I went for them. In late March I was notified my car had been built but was going to be held at the factory because the supplier of the special floor mats was having problems producing them and Porsche had removed the option from the catalogue. Naturally I asked my dealer if he could just have then delete the option and get my car shipped. Well in true German fashion the factory would not change anything and I would just have to wait until they could source the mats with no mention as to how long it would take. It was then that I remembered the gentleman in Marketing so I took him up on his offer of help. I dictated a nice letter to him explaining what was going on and sent it via fax (it was '97, no email yet) asking if he could get my car shipped without those mats. The next day I got a call from the owner of my dealership who I knew quite well asking how in the world did I get the special VIP processing that is reserved for guys like Jerry Seinfeld. I just laughed and told him I had friends in high places at the factory and not to worry. My car was processed and shipped getting to me in mid May and it had those special mats in the car. The car is still with me and reserved for special nice days only with 23k miles on it with no mods other than a set of the rare factory sport design wheels I bought through my dealer. The original twist wheels with the original Pirelli tires are in storage. This is a long winded answer to the original question of weather I consider it an investment. No I don't but I never intend to sell it as long as I am around so I don't care one way or the other but I am glad to see them getting newfound respect. I love the car and always enjoy being behind the wheel. They are great cars and I salute anyone with one.
The following 9 users liked this post by jtt99:
Al Allen (12-30-2022), Geza (01-04-2023), Heinzr57 (12-29-2022), KevinH2000 (12-30-2022), pilot4fn (12-30-2022), RENN GTS (12-30-2022), Sean (05-12-2023), Starter986 (12-30-2022), TexSquirrel (12-30-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2022, 06:46 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jtt99
This is an interesting thread and thanks Renn GTS for starting it. Let me say I am a true 911 guy and have been fortunate to have owned a number of nice ones and still have a 964 and 996tt in the stable. I fell in love with the thought of a Boxster when they showed the concept at the Detroit Auto Show. I knew I had to somehow get one and was one the crazies who went to my dealer and put $500 down two years before they confirmed production. When they said it was a go I was really excited and when the time got near in '96 my wife and I attended the PCA Treffin in Germany and was there the day the early European debut took place. We toured the plant and the cars were coming down the line very slowly so they would get them right. They had a large bell they would ring every time one was completed. We still hadn't settled on what color but I was leaning toward silver with the red gut. The day after announcement we were in the mall shopping area that is in the center of Stuttgart and Porsche had a car on display in that color combo. A sweet elderly lady walked up to the car and began exclaiming to everyone near buy to come look at the new Porsche. That sealed the deal for me on the color combo. While at Treffin I had the good fortune to meet a VP of Marking and when I told him I would shortly be ordering my car he gave me his business card and told to let him know if he could ever be of assistance. My order was submitted in January '97 and the wait began. They informed me my car would be built in late March. I didn't put a lot of options on my car but one thing caught my eye that was only a couple of hundred $ was leather trimmed floor mats so I went for them. In late March I was notified my car had been built but was going to be held at the factory because the supplier of the special floor mats was having problems producing them and Porsche had removed the option from the catalogue. Naturally I asked my dealer if he could just have then delete the option and get my car shipped. Well in true German fashion the factory would not change anything and I would just have to wait until they could source the mats with no mention as to how long it would take. It was then that I remembered the gentleman in Marketing so I took him up on his offer of help. I dictated a nice letter to him explaining what was going on and sent it via fax (it was '97, no email yet) asking if he could get my car shipped without those mats. The next day I got a call from the owner of my dealership who I knew quite well asking how in the world did I get the special VIP processing that is reserved for guys like Jerry Seinfeld. I just laughed and told him I had friends in high places at the factory and not to worry. My car was processed and shipped getting to me in mid May and it had those special mats in the car. The car is still with me and reserved for special nice days only with 23k miles on it with no mods other than a set of the rare factory sport design wheels I bought through my dealer. The original twist wheels with the original Pirelli tires are in storage. This is a long winded answer to the original question of weather I consider it an investment. No I don't but I never intend to sell it as long as I am around so I don't care one way or the other but I am glad to see them getting newfound respect. I love the car and always enjoy being behind the wheel. They are great cars and I salute anyone with one.

all that detail…and not a single picture the Boxster? Your killing me…
TexSquirrel (12-30-2022)
Old 12-29-2022, 09:45 PM
Heinzr57
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

all that detail…and not a single picture the Boxster? Your killing me…
😂😂😂
Old 12-30-2022, 10:34 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jtt99
Lets see some pics!

Quick Reply: The Great 986 Speculation Thread