Sponsored by:

1999 Boxster will not idle below 1500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 03:46 PM
SHO
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Boxster will not idle below 1500 RPM

I am looking at a 1999 Porsche Boxster that is for sale in my area. It has 147000 miles on it and
is in pretty good shape. It has a lot of nice upgrades and was actually listed for sale on this forum
back in March for $14500. The current owner is asking $5500 and said the car just started to have
an idle issue where it will die if the RPMs drop below 1500. He had the compression checked and
a couple other things were taken care of but the idle issue is still there. Is this car worth the risk?
He said the car would need to be towed until the idle issue is resolved. I should mention that this car
had an engine out refresh at 78k so the IMS bearing was most likely checked and/or replaced.

Last edited by SHO; 10-12-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:53 AM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Advice

Originally Posted by SHO
I am looking at a 1999 Porsche Boxster that is for sale in my area. It has 147000 miles on it and
is in pretty good shape. It has a lot of nice upgrades and was actually listed for sale on this forum
back in March for $14500. The current owner is asking $5500 and said the car just started to have
an idle issue where it will die if the RPMs drop below 1500. He had the compression checked and
a couple other things were taken care of but the idle issue is still there. Is this car worth the risk?
He said the car would need to be towed until the idle issue is resolved. I should mention that this car
had an engine out refresh at 78k so the IMS bearing was most likely checked and/or replaced.
I think that is a very good price. Definitely leaves a lot or room for a thorough PPI. would not buy without one and at a dealership. I am assuming the things that you can see are all in order (top, body, interior). Idle problem usually isn’t a big deal. Read that again usually. A quality mechanic can look at data and determine vac leak vs compression problem. The one glaring thing I would ask is why it has dropped 9k. Was 14k just a money grab in a sellers market? Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: 1999 Boxster will not idle below 1500 RPM