Boxster Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 10:23 AM
AaronS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster Project

Good morning all!
Two weeks ago I brought home a guards red 1999 986. This is my first Porsche project. The car was a non-runner, with leaking top glass. The car drains were also plugged, these two issues equalled a very wet immobilizer under the driver seat. I sent the parts to ECU Doctors, a week later the car has a new immobilizer.
Unfortunately this did not wake her up, when cranking we noticed the tach wasn't moving, tho it did NOT throw any codes. I replaced the crank sensor anyway, and that woke the car back up.

So now I have a running project! The body is great, never been in an accident, the paint is great. No real scratches or dents. The car does need a good polish and wax.

Where I am now-
The top does not function, the top and the top cover are disconnected from the transmissions. With 12V the motor works, I ran through the top diagnostic guide. The top failed steps #6, 9, 10, and 11. Which I believe indicates a dead top latch microswitch under the top hook. I ordered a new one as well as a relay.
I took the switch out, and tested with the multimeter, and it seemed to function fine. I read on the forum that it can have continuity and still not function, which is why I ordered a relay as well.
Thoughts on this?

I have a new top for the car as well. It came with the car, I believe it is from auto tops direct. its an A5 Acoustic canvas top, with glass.
I keep going back and forth, replace it myself and DIY or pay someone. Ive done many projects on cars but never a top.

Other issues with the car, the airbag light is on, is there a common cause for this?

Any help is appreciated
Old 10-11-2022, 04:45 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronS
... Other issues with the car, the airbag light is on, is there a common cause for this?
Yes. Try a search at 986forum.com. I have the same problem and after deciding that the module is bad put a piece of tape over the idiot light.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:11 PM
AaronS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some searching on the forum, and I believe I found the issue for my airbag light. When we hooked up the new immobilizer, we tried to start the car with the driver seat still out of the car. Sounds like the car doesn't like that, Ill have it scanned and checked soon.

Quick Reply: Boxster Project