Sponsored by:

986S Manual Transmission Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2022, 01:22 AM
rtspeedgeek
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 986S Manual Transmission Install Problem

Long story short I broke my 6-speed manual and purchased a 44k-mile salvage unit to do a swap. After removing the broken transmission and inspecting the clutch, it didn't seem that it needed replacement. I'm not really sure, but it looked like there was still wear surfaces on the clutch disc. I left the whole clutch assembly alone. I swapped my LSD into the replacement transmission, filled it with oil, and installed it. I'm doing this all on a lift with a high-lift transmission jack so my alignment is very good. But, when I try to fit it (shove it) back into the motor i can only get the two units about 1/2" apart before i have to pull it all together with the bolts. First, is this ok to do? Should I be able to mate the engine and transmission flush?

Then ... the bad part ... no matter how much i bleed the clutch i have a rock hard pedal after short, no-resistance travel. If I really push hard, it blows the gasket in the slave cylinder and spews brake fluid into the bellhousing forcing me to removal the tranny again, clean it out, and replace the slave cylinder. I have also replaced the clutch master cylinder just because it's old ('01 w/ 90k miles).

This has now happened twice. WTF am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by rtspeedgeek; 05-01-2022 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:55 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Check this video... around 6 minute mark he talks about his slave cylinder problem. Perhaps yours is different.
When I installed my 5 speed I also had to use the bolts to draw it flush but I felt a bit uncomfortable doing it... but it works fine.
The following users liked this post:
rtspeedgeek (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 12:59 PM
rtspeedgeek
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ding, ding, ding. Had the freaking bearing in backwards. I'm a Jack@ss.
3rd time is the charm. Went together much easier too. Image that.
Thank you!!

Last edited by rtspeedgeek; 05-01-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 986S Manual Transmission Install Problem