Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to move the car without damaging it without the motor mount installed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 03:55 AM
tk83
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to move the car without damaging it without the motor mount installed?

I tried to change the motor mount and I am stuck and can't get it back in. Right now the car is in the middle of my garage on jack stands with a jack under the engine. At this point I am about ready to get rid of it, but I don't even know how to move it with nothing holding the engine up. Has anyone had to do that before?
Old 05-02-2022, 06:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Get a cheap dolly from harbor freight and stack some wood on it
Old 05-02-2022, 10:11 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

you are supporting the monitor from the top with a support bar right? You shouldn't be using a jack to support the motor from under the car.

Where are you located?
Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by tk83
. At this point I am about ready to get rid of it, but I don't even know how to move it with nothing holding the engine up.
I'm happy to come take it off your hands!
Old 05-02-2022, 03:59 PM
tk83
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stl_986
you are supporting the monitor from the top with a support bar right? You shouldn't be using a jack to support the motor from under the car.

Where are you located?
I should have done that, but I listened to Wayne Dempsey's book and used a jack but didn't realize that was a bad idea until I took it apart. Now I can't get the engine mount bolts back into the block so I am kinda stuck.

I still want to try carefully cleaning the threads in the block (with a proper thread chaser rather than a tap) to see if being able to easily thread them in by hand would help but the only thread chaser that would work is the ARP one that is back-ordered until the end of May. The threads aren't stripped or anything but the bolts are hard to thread in by hand. I just can't get the motor mount and bolts lined up with the holes at the same time, and I have spent enough time trying to figure it out I don't think there's anything that a written description or video would help.

The car should work OK if it was put back together, all that was wrong with it was the starter and either the thermostat or temp sensor were not working correctly (which are replaced now), then I realized the motor mount had sagged quite a bit and wanted to change it. Now it just sits there, I bought it a year ago and haven't even driven it enough to need to put gas in it lol. I live in California near Sacramento and SF.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:50 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Shoot me an e-mail, we can figure this out most likely. 986speakerbrackets@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Is there a way to move the car without damaging it without the motor mount installed?