Key fob and central locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 07:55 AM
blurredlyons
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob and central locking

Hi all,

I have a small issue with my 2001 986 Boxster S that I was hoping you might be able to help me with - the car came with just one key which is missing the little circuit board inside the fob part but it does have still have the little transponder.
So I am able to open the driver's door manually and I can start the car, but that means there is no central locking in the car and the passenger door remains unlocked. The button on the dash to lock/unlock the car doesn't do anything either, and the button down by the driver's seat to unlock the front trunk is similar - Could this be linked to the lack of a complete key fob?

Would there be any reason that a circuit board and buttons on the key fob would ever have been removed? I've seen that I need to get a new key fob with the key tag to be able to program it in, is this off to the main dealer kinda job? Is it possible to get a second key cut that will work with the current immobiliser as well? Anyone have any idea of what the costs would be?

Thanks,
David
Old 01-31-2022, 12:08 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

1 has nothing to do with the other. Off to the dealer for a new key & programming to fix the key issue. make sure they DONT delete any existing keys...and tell them NOT to as well or your existing key wont start the car anymore.

For the trunk...look for a blown fuse and make sure the motor is connected
Old 04-25-2022, 12:14 PM
Il CP
Pro

Received 507 Likes on 213 Posts

Not sure I understand this at all.

Get a key from the dealer. Having the car with one key stolen is not a very good idea.

I don't get it.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:14 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

What others have said but also...put the key in the door, turn it to lock and it will lock the door. that is if the lock is connected and the electric lock even works.

Why is the circuit board not there? Best to ask the last owner. If you got it from a dealer then you should have tested the key and made a new key part of the purchase.

Quick Reply: Key fob and central locking