Sponsored by:

can't unlock car with key or fob, alarm beeps twice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 09:44 AM
schumicat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can't unlock car with key or fob, alarm beeps twice

97 boxster, US model. Both doors are locked and top and windows are up. When I press key fob the alarm beeps twice (which indicates an issue with alarm system) and I can barely hear a small click in the driver door lock mechanism (nowhere near as loud as when I usually unlock or lock door - i can only hear this small click with head near door). Turning key in the barrel either way doesn't engage anything. Fob will pop open the rear trunk. i got the frunk open with the emergency pull and confirmed battery has a good charge. The key fob also has a good battery (I only got one key with car). I also noticed neither the frunk nor trunk lights come on even though they are open (both lights are good and worked yesterday). Is there anything I can try other than getting a pop a lock place to unlock car. this is really annoying.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (04-26-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 10:00 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

try turning the key to the left & hold it there, that should roll the window down. turning to the right & holding it there should roll them up.

other thing you can do is with your hip/butt give the door a bump. either it's caught on the latch or the clip inside the door broke.

If the remote works like you said the pass door should be unlocked though even if the driver side is broke.
Al Allen (04-26-2022)
Old 04-24-2022, 10:29 AM
schumicat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stl_986
try turning the key to the left & hold it there, that should roll the window down. turning to the right & holding it there should roll them up.

other thing you can do is with your hip/butt give the door a bump. either it's caught on the latch or the clip inside the door broke.

If the remote works like you said the pass door should be unlocked though even if the driver side is broke.
thanks unfortunately holding the key left didn't do anything. the fob button is not unlocking anything (driver door, passenger door, or gas gap). I tried bumping the door and it didn't work either. i am now trying to leave the battery disconnected for an hour or 2 to see if that resets something. I tried disconnecting it for a few minutes and it was the same when reconnected. i am trying now to remember if the central locking light on the center console is supposed to illuminate when you press the fob or flash while the alarm is active. I'm not seeing any light there.
Old 04-24-2022, 12:24 PM
stl_986
Racer

disconnecting the battery isn't going to help any. it sounds like it's a physical issue with the latch being broken on the inside of the door panel. You may have to resort to really drastic measures that are going to end up costing a good amount to fix.

Worse case the cheapest would be to break out the side window....those are pretty cheap to replace. Pain to clean up.

Call around to some local lockout services and see if they are even willing to try. Call the dealer also and see what they would do to get in. Chances are they would either have someone come out to them though. If you aren't in a hurry, get AAA and then wait a week to call them & have them come out (check with your insurance company too for roadside assistance)
Old 04-24-2022, 02:25 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 230 Posts

Call an Auto locksmith to make a non destructive entry. They will be very quick, they do it for a living.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:32 PM
schumicat
Rennlist Member

I had pop a lock come open it and it took him about a minute to get the door open. I determined the reason for my issue, the central locking fuse/alarm fuse had blown. I had been working on the headlight and apparently the turn signal is on the same circuit as central locking/alarm and I made a short. Still not sure if it locked everything by itself (as a default when the fuse blew) or I did it (i usually don't lock it when i'm parked at home and working on car). I replaced the fuse and everything went back to normal.
Al Allen (04-26-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:44 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 230 Posts

Nice one! These guys are so quick it makes you wonder how safe your car really is…
Al Allen (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:43 AM
stl_986
Racer

The fuse being blown doesn't explain why the key wouldn't unlock turning to the left or right. Doing that is a mechanical process...nothing to with electrical.

Suggest doing the following cause you may still have an issue. with both windows open...I would even open the top just in case....close the door, put the key in the door & then turn the key. It should lock & turning the other way should unlock. If it doesn't you have a broken clip inside the door that you should fix.
Al Allen (04-26-2022)

Quick Reply: can't unlock car with key or fob, alarm beeps twice