Sponsored by:

MY 03/04 Sport Exhaust Sound Files (INSIDE) & Pictures of new System

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 02:53 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MY 03/04 Sport Exhaust Sound Files (INSIDE) & Pictures of new System

Just found these files floating around the net, planning to get this upgrade with the full wiring and switch... wondering about the cost...

Here is the stock exhaust:
http://home.mho.com/achmiel/PorscheS...%20Exhaust.WAV

Here is the sport exhaust while starting the car:
http://home.mho.com/achmiel/PorscheS...%20Exhaust.WAV

Here is the sport exhaust revving :
http://home.mho.com/achmiel/PorscheS...xhaust%202.WAV

I LOOOVE IT! - gets you the 911/ferrari sport exhuast BARK without sounding at all ricey!

if the price is below 3k i will be getting it at my 15k service (about a month from now)

-Tom

Last edited by Moogle; 04-14-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:45 AM
Moogle
Race Car

as you can see, the bypass pipes are tucked in differently, the manufatuerer for the SE is the same as for the MK1 exhuast

here is picture evidence:

Eisenmann (STUTTGART) is the manufactuer:

OLD SE:

NEW SE:
(note the new exhuast tip)

NEW SE Pictures:

as you can see, the bypass pipes are now tucked under the pipe that goes from the catalytic converter to the muffler

here is a pic of the old SE for reference:

getting this installed on my car next month along with 15k service

hope this clears things up with all the 03 and onward Boxster owners...

-Tommy
Old 04-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Moogle
Race Car

for the record:

that was a pic that was floating around the net awhile that people thought was the new SE, but in fact ( i later found out after investigation ) - that is by a speclist (with a bad reputation mind you) who specially modifies 02 SEs to fit 03s, hence the tucked in lateral bypass pipes
Old 04-14-2004, 11:28 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the relay I assume the regular muffler is bypassed at a specified RPM or manifold pressure. Do you know which or for sure how it operates? I have always thought it a beautiful piece of equipment.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:01 AM
Moogle
Race Car

the switch/electronics (most people choose not to install this and just leave the valves open all the time)

if one does the full install:

the switch can be used to manually shut the valves at any time hence reducing sound.

also a byproduct is that the car will automatically shut the valves between 25-45 MPH - this was originally to comply with noise regs.

of course one can bend pin 45 - getting the best of both worlds -

ie. being able to turn on/off the exhuast at any time without any other intereference.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:09 AM
A4EP
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally posted by Moogle
the switch/electronics (most people choose not to install this and just leave the valves open all the time)

if one does the full install:

the switch can be used to manually shut the valves at any time hence reducing sound.

also a byproduct is that the car will automatically shut the valves between 25-45 MPH - this was originally to comply with noise regs.

of course one can bend pin 45 - getting the best of both worlds -

ie. being able to turn on/off the exhuast at any time without any other intereference.
Moogle, I am not quite sure what you mean by bending pin 45, to defeat the automatic cutout you need to remove the 4 pronged jumper from the back of relay 23. The hardest part of the modification is getting the relay pannel down and then back up. Below is a link to the instructions:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=491

A4EP

For all the latest sound files of the 2003/2004 Boxster PSE click below for my pathetic attempt at a webpage
A4EP'S 2004 Boxster S Factory Sport Exhaust System Information
Old 04-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Does anyone know what hp benefits the sports exhaust achieves? Is it an increase in hp at all rpms or only at a certain point?

Also, since I have a Boxster 550, I'm wondering what I could gain since the 550 already has 6 more hp, but I'm not sure how it was achieved and if the sports exhaust would interfere.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 04-24-2004, 01:14 AM
A4EP
Racer

Originally posted by Charlie C
Does anyone know what hp benefits the sports exhaust achieves? Is it an increase in hp at all rpms or only at a certain point?

Also, since I have a Boxster 550, I'm wondering what I could gain since the 550 already has 6 more hp, but I'm not sure how it was achieved and if the sports exhaust would interfere.

Thanks,
Charlie
The Factory Porsche Sport Exhaust system claims NO increase in horsepower or torque. What it does is make the car sound louder and more aggressive, like it is supposed to sound! I don't see why the PSE would not be compatable with the new Boxster S Special Edition.

A4EP
Old 04-24-2004, 12:30 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there any consensus on the best sport exhaust for a Boxster? A lot of guys on PPBB like the GHL exhaust (although there are complaints about resonance).

The rap I've heard about the factory sport exhaust is that the difference in sound is not enough to justify the price. But they say it gets better with more use.

Has the NEW sport exhaust has changed the visual appearance of the exhaust tips? (Got rid of the little divots around the tips) If so, I like the new one.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:34 AM
A4EP
Racer

Originally posted by Sean
Is there any consensus on the best sport exhaust for a Boxster? A lot of guys on PPBB like the GHL exhaust (although there are complaints about resonance).

The rap I've heard about the factory sport exhaust is that the difference in sound is not enough to justify the price. But they say it gets better with more use.

Has the NEW sport exhaust has changed the visual appearance of the exhaust tips? (Got rid of the little divots around the tips) If so, I like the new one.
There is definitly no concensus on the best Boxster exhaust. Personally I like how loud the GHL is but I have heard the resonance can be unbearable at times. For me any resonance is not acceptable. I am VERY happy with the new sport exhaust. Lately I have been noticing that I can actually feel the rumble of the exhaust at times through the seat! I like that, when I flip the switch off I can't feel it but when it is on I can. Really neat.

I don't think the new PSE is as loud as the GHL but I have heard very good comments on it from many people. Listen to the exhaust sound bits on my pathetic PSE webpage You will see from the sound bites that the difference is worth the cost. Obviously since it is an OE part the price is more than it should be but for zero resonance, warranty and a hell of a good sound it is worth it.

The visual aspect is totally different from the old version. Because they had to fit it under the new rear bumper of the 2003 Boxster the bypass pipes are shorter and tucked away. The exhaust uses any of the stock Boxster tips...Boxster, S or Chrome Special Edition type tip. So it looks stock which is what I like.

As I said I am VERY happy with it, it came on my car from the factory and I couldn't imagine the car without it. I noticed you have a 2000 Boxster S, if you are interested in the exhaust make sure to check to see if it is compatable with pre-2003 cars. I heard a rumor it is not, I personally don't see why it wouldn't be but it better to be safe than sorry.

Here is the link to the sound files and pics of the exhaust:

A4EP's 2003/2004 Boxster PSE Sound Files

A4EP
Old 04-25-2004, 12:16 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys installing headers too or just replacement mufflers ?

I've always heard that adding headers would also make the exhaust louder due to more flow. But I have yet to change anything on my boxster so I don't know for sure.

Tom
Old 04-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the sound files, A4EP. The SE does sound better! I will put this on my Boxster "to do" list.

Quick Reply: MY 03/04 Sport Exhaust Sound Files (INSIDE) & Pictures of new System