Sponsored by:

2.5 5 speed shifting troubles HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2021, 12:39 PM
Dilly986
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 5 speed shifting troubles HELP

New member here. I’ll start by saying thanks for the add and also I religiously searched here and 986 forum before posting. Here goes:

I am having an issue getting gears 1 and 2 in my 1998 986 2.5

A week or so I was stuck in reverse, and was able to get the car out of reverse by moving the input shaft in the trans. My cable had come disconnected at the shifter. My mechanic friend suggested I replace the cables. I did this, bought Numeric Racing cables, installed them and adjusted them every which way, still cannot get gears 1 or 2. But the car will drive in 3-5 and R I believe.

I noticed the bottom cable attached to the trans is connected to a vertical actuator. It’s like I can hear it click when I move the shifter left to engage 1/2. I assume the actuator rotates the input shaft to engage 1 and 2, and the actuator isn’t moving it quite enough. If I can, I will attach pictures to better explain. I understand it’s adjustable but it’s so rusted I may just get a new one. Unless it’s something completely different 🤷‍♂️

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Life has been rough lately, and driving is such a valuable escape that I don’t currently have. Thanks in advance. Cheers

I know it’s rusty and gross, apologies. I’ve only had it a short while. Anyway the bottom cable that moves the vertical actuator makes a “click” sound like it doesn’t want to engage 1 or 2nd.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:07 AM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

By input shaft do you mean the shaft the cables are attached to? Input shaft normally refers to the shaft that splines to the clutch and is only accessible with the trans out.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:04 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

The cup on vertical rod may be worn out and or loose... or it may need adjustment. Try prying the ball joint (the bottom part) apart to check it.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:46 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Believe there is a procedure for installing & adjusting the cables and it requires a tool which is really just a bracket to set the spacing correctly. Search for 996 clutch cable, should find something there as it is the same.

What I would do is remove both cables and then make sure each match the length of the original ones.

You didn't say if you had this problem with the original ones. I would also question why the mechanic suggested replacing them. Generally speaking....if it isn't broke, dont touch it. Poping off the ball joint isn't necessarily broke, something could have bumped it to cause that to happen.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:51 PM
Dilly986
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dllrd23
By input shaft do you mean the shaft the cables are attached to? Input shaft normally refers to the shaft that splines to the clutch and is only accessible with the trans out.
I mean you can pull back on the shaft that goes in and out of the trans which I believe selects the gears. I’ve heard it called an input shaft maybe incorrectly
Old 07-24-2021, 04:55 PM
Dilly986
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by stl_986
Believe there is a procedure for installing & adjusting the cables and it requires a tool which is really just a bracket to set the spacing correctly. Search for 996 clutch cable, should find something there as it is the same.

What I would do is remove both cables and then make sure each match the length of the original ones.

You didn't say if you had this problem with the original ones. I would also question why the mechanic suggested replacing them. Generally speaking....if it isn't broke, dont touch it. Poping off the ball joint isn't necessarily broke, something could have bumped it to cause that to happen.
I was having the exact issue with the old cables unfortunately
Old 07-24-2021, 10:07 PM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Little out of my league, but....if the same problem exists with the old and the new then the common factor is the transmission not the cables. With my limited knowledge it is sounding like a transmission issue.

With all that said...Where has that car been sitting? in a lake? You can see the rust all over the engine bay, sway bars & brace.

An easy thing to do would be to do a fluid drain & fill. Doubt it could hurt at this point. If not sure how to do it Help Me DIY did a youtube video on it. Not all that difficult.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:39 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

If you get under the car you can manipulate the cables to mimic the actions of the shifter... or have someone row through the gears while you watch and you will see if the input is making it to the shaft. It seems to me that you are correct, the upper cable moves the shaft in and out and the lower one, through the vertical "joint rod", turns the shaft. If it is loose it will not turn it enough.

Quick Reply: 2.5 5 speed shifting troubles HELP