Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure not holding during coolant swap.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 04:24 PM
therealijw
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Pressure not holding during coolant swap.

My 2002 986 base has had no issue since I've owned it. It's a 40k mile car and has been nothing but reliable for me. I decided to do some preventative maintenance and swap out the water pump, thermostat/ thermo housing, and the air-oil separator. Everything has been swapped out and Ive buttoned everything back up,
I've been following Watch me DIY's video on youtube for instructions.
I am currently trying to pressurize the system but I can only get to -24 (he says go to -250 before pressure stops building. Once I close the valve pressure slowly leaks out and then it seems to rest at 16 -15 or so.
I checked back on all my houses and everything looks tight and secure
Right now I am thinking that the coolant tank might be bad? Not sure since I've never seen a leak on my car before.
Does anyone recommend pouring some distilled water into the system, pressurizing it, and seeing if it leaks anywhere? (I came up with this)

Any help would be a lifesaver!

​​​​​​​
Old 03-12-2021, 11:24 PM
therealijw
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I am currently trying to pressurize the system but I can only get to -24 (he says go to -250 before pressure stops building."

I meant to say -25 not 250. I dont know how to edit my posts yet.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:16 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

How about abandoning the hose aparatus... fill it up old school.. put the cap back on... and burp it. Maybe drive down a steep hill... get the air out.

Old 03-15-2021, 01:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by therealijw
"I am currently trying to pressurize the system but I can only get to -24 (he says go to -250 before pressure stops building."

I meant to say -25 not 250. I dont know how to edit my posts yet.
I could be mistaken, but it seems like I remember you're supposed to use the Airlift system directly on the expansion tank not the filler tubes on the Boxster/Cayman.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:20 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You are on the right track.If the airlift doesn't hold vacuum, you have a leak. Fill the system with water. Pressure test it. (Hint: autozone lends tool for free and has a great pressure tester you can borrow). Use soapy water in a spray bottle at all suspected connections and any leak will be obvious.

Quick Reply: Pressure not holding during coolant swap.