Sponsored by:

Sport Seats are killing my back.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 01:19 AM
sietek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sport Seats are killing my back.

Hey all. I just picked up My Boxster S last week, and so far, I am really enjoying the car, except for one thing. I have the sport seats. Now this would be fine, except for the fact that I have pretty broad shoulders, and the seats are too tight in the shoulder area. It is a daily driver, and in Atlanta GA traffic, I spend a good amount of time in my car. I don’t want to mess up the factory seats by having them altered. Does anyone know where I can get some non-sport seats, or even after market seats that I can put in? I don’t want to spend a lot of money on the seats. I plan to keep my Sport seats, for when I eventually sell the car. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2004, 03:43 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check in the other departments. If you do a seach on seats you will probably find a recommended and sensibly priced alternative.

And make sure you hang onto those original seats... hehehe...
Old 03-22-2004, 04:37 AM
dove
Banned

Sietek, I know where you are coming from with this seat issue.I also have the sport seats and find them very uncomfortable on my back.I have considered dropping a standard black leather seat into the car whilst I own it and then putting the original seat in when I sell the car,I'm sure there will always be a market for a standard Boxster seat!!

Paul
Old 03-22-2004, 09:32 AM
BoxstersMike
Track Day

Default Sport Seats, Back problem

Had the same problem, I added an Air lumber support pillow and made all the difference. Is it originating from the lower back area?

Mike M
O2 986S
AS/GG/GG
Old 03-22-2004, 09:44 AM
sietek
Track Day

BoxstersMike,

It is not my lower back that is the issue. The issue lies in the upper part of the seats, up around the shoulders. I guess that I have pretty wide shoulders, and the part of the seat that curves forward on the sport seats (supposedly for upper lateral support), for the most part puts pressure on my upper shoulder blades.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:04 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have standard black leather seats in mine.. I'd love to trade for the sport seats!
Old 03-22-2004, 07:33 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: seats... ----bol!!!
try l.a. porsche / aka: los angeles dismantler
tel: 818) porsche
http://www.911pcar.com/Porsche_Parts...iors_seats.htm

maybe even replace the drivers side w/ another wider-fitting racing seat.... sparco... recaro... cobra...

cheers.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:16 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

How did you end up with the seats without trying them first, if you don't mind my asking?

Emanuel
Old 03-22-2004, 10:53 PM
sietek
Track Day

24FPS

Thanks. I will try them tomorrow.

epbrown01,

When I first drove the car, I guess I didn’t pay all too much attention to the overall feel of the seats. It was a pretty spirited test drive, but not all too long. I will say this, If you planning to track a Boxster, then the sport seats are they only way to fly. They do a great job of holding you in place. But for daily seat time, they just don’t do that great.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:11 AM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem at one point - call a local chiropractor for a recommendation for a pad of some sort. Helped me out.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:22 PM
01-996
Intermediate

I would be more than happy to trade my mint 996 seats for your boxster sport seats. If interested email me at dheproemp@aol.com Thaks Dave
Old 03-23-2004, 06:48 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hey there.. I volunteered first.. and my boxster seats only have 2k non smoker miles on them

..see, lots of folks willing to trade
Old 03-23-2004, 08:38 PM
epbrown01
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by sietek
[B When I first drove the car, I guess I didn’t pay all too much attention to the overall feel of the seats. It was a pretty spirited test drive, but not all too long. I will say this, If you planning to track a Boxster, then the sport seats are they only way to fly. They do a great job of holding you in place. But for daily seat time, they just don’t do that great. [/B]
Okay - I thought you had a special edition or that they came with some sort of option package. I'm helping a friend look and wanted to know if we needed to avoid certain listings. Thanks.

Emanuel
Old 03-24-2004, 02:17 PM
sietek
Track Day

Thanks for all the offers to trade seats, but I plan on keeping the original Factory Sport Seats. I figure that since they came with the car, I will be better off to put them back in when I sell the car….. (Whenever that might be).
I have been doing some research, and it turns out that Porsche seats are like MAD Expensive (Who’d of thunk?!?).

So I think that I will try and find a nice, not too radical, aftermarket set of seats…. Maybe something with yellow and black accents, to match my car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Do all aftermarket seats need additional mounting brackets, or do some of them come with Boxster specific brackets?

How hard is it to change out the factory seats, to aftermarket seats?

Thanks,
Old 03-25-2004, 01:21 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

check your local seat seller... Recaro makes a nice easy to bolt in bracket specific for the boxster.... ...but you really need to SIT in the seat to see which is best for you... they very a LOT!

Quick Reply: Sport Seats are killing my back.